What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cellar data reminder

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks Bill, typical Apple behaviour!. I really don't want to take out a sim deal, as I have a 5Gig data plan on my iPhone, and if I ever needed to access the web on the iPad, I would just tether it to my phone.

I'll have a word at the Apple Store and see what other options might be available.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the T-Mobile plan is free, why not use it now and then. If for nothing else, it will improve the speed and accuracy of your GPS apps. While GPS is not entirely dependent on cellular or wi-fi, there are several assistive (AGPS) features that improve the speed of satellite lock and the accuracy of your location.

It could also be considered a backup emergency communications ability: you're phone is dead, but you can still send a message or email.

Just keep an eye on the data, and make sure you don't overrun. Also, check your T-Mobile settings. There should be options to warn you when you are approaching your data limit.

Tweak2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd jump in here. The cellular data plan reminder is really annoying to me also. Just to make sure I understand, if I sign up for T mobile and then want to change to AT&T, will I need to go to the ATT store for a new SIM? Can I change back & forth by changing the SIM's?

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've decided to keep my iPad 2 after downloading iOS 8.1.1 and finding it seems to have solved most, if not all of the problems I had with iOS 8.

However, I remembered today that I have an old iPhone SIM card that is now no use any more as its expired, so I inserted it in the iPad, which immediately un-greyed the mobile data option in settings, which I was then able to turn off.

Since then, no more "no sim installed" message.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have not got as far as trying the cellular side of my Air 2 -still in learning curve mode. My thoughts about the pop-up is that it only happens once shortly after waking up.

Wcberry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to Airplane Mode and turn back on just WiFi and / or Bluetooth, it will keep the Cellular Data notice from popping back up.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you go to Airplane Mode and turn back on just WiFi and / or Bluetooth, it will keep the Cellular Data notice from popping back up.
Thanks. So far so good; no pop.

Update 28 Nov. Pop up still appears, but not quite so frequently.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts