What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't move Newsstand into a Group.

OrlandoDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On iPad 1 I can't move Newsstand into a Group.

When 'jiggling' the groups move out of the way to avoid it...

Anybody else seen this?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The newsstand is a group into itself. A newspaper app, like NY Times, will move itself to the newsstand when you update it.

DDawm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can be done -not sure where I read it.Move newsstand together with 2 others you wish to put into a group.They need to be next to each other.Join the other 2 together and while they are still "jiggling" move newsstand over them and it will take up .It takes a few goes but it does work(I have done it)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't do it. It will corrupt the file system and no one knows the side effects - other than the iPad crashing when you try to access Newsstand while in another folder...

Very dangerous bug in my opinion as an experienced iOS application developer. You are playing iPad Roulette... Could corrupt backups, brick your phone requiring a restore (from that corrupt backup...), conflict with temp file cleanup, etc.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved Newsstand, Game Center, Photo Booth and FaceTime into one folder, because I don't use them.

I have subscriptions that go into Newsstand, but I'd rather read them via Web, rather than app.

OP
OrlandoDude

OrlandoDude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all...

I'll just didn't want it and was trying to hide it away as I can't be deleted.

Freedom of choice is a wonderfully thing but only if one can get it.

POI

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've moved Newsstand, Game Center, Photo Booth and FaceTime into one folder, because I don't use them.

I have subscriptions that go into Newsstand, but I'd rather read them via Web, rather than app.

Unfortunately, that option is not necessarily viable if you happen to read a publication that has been abducted by Newsstand. (e.g. the New Yorker.) My only option is to subscribe to the print edition and get both the web edition and iPad app free of charge. But if I subscribe to the iPad app the web edition is not available as part of that subscription.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that option is not necessarily viable if you happen to read a publication that has been abducted by Newsstand. (e.g. the New Yorker.) My only option is to subscribe to the print edition and get both the web edition and iPad app free of charge. But if I subscribe to the iPad app the web edition is not available as part of that subscription.

Lol, "abducted" is a great way to describe Newsstanded publications. I'd suggest that you lobby magazines for non-app versions that include full coverage. That way, you'd get to read the whole enchilada, and they could charge you a subscription without giving Apple a cut.

Reading the New Yorker via Web is plenty for me. The current issue has a George Clooney story that is 10 screens long. Really? Seems like a good guy who also can act, but I'm not 10 pages' worth of interested. Many New Yorker articles strike me that way, unfortunately. (I used to read them for free, because a friend always passed on his print editions.)

With the NYT, I deleted the app and just read online, using my subscription, for instance.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol, "abducted" is a great way to describe Newsstanded publications. I'd suggest that you lobby magazines for non-app versions that include full coverage. That way, you'd get to read the whole enchilada, and they could charge you a subscription without giving Apple a cut.

Reading the New Yorker via Web is plenty for me. The current issue has a George Clooney story that is 10 screens long. Really? Seems like a good guy who also can act, but I'm not 10 pages' worth of interested. Many New Yorker articles strike me that way, unfortunately. (I used to read them for free, because a friend always passed on his print editions.)

With the NYT, I deleted the app and just read online, using my subscription, for instance.

Different strokes for different folks. I subscribe to the New Yorker, but I am not always in a place where I have Web access, and so it is useful to be able to access an archived edition of the magazine. The app includes audio and video extras that may appeal to some people. If I am interested in a particular article (e.g., a recent article on drug legalization in Portugal) then I don't care how long it is.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. I subscribe to the New Yorker, but I am not always in a place where I have Web access, and so it is useful to be able to access an archived edition of the magazine. The app includes audio and video extras that may appeal to some people. If I am interested in a particular article (e.g., a recent article on drug legalization in Portugal) then I don't care how long it is.

I'm all for choice, which Newsstand basically doesn't allow, lol.

For international coverage, I much prefer the Economist, the NYT/IHT and the Financial Times. I admit I tend to go light on cultural/features coverage. If I have time, I might read some, if not, oh well.

I still take the Economist in print (with free online access), because there are times when print is better, like when on a plane about to take off or land, lol.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several subscriptions that I have that I wish would go onto Newsstand. There are things that are not practical for the programmers to do, and pleasing everyone is part of the issue. And then you have to deal with the issue that most app programmers are not up to the task of a full feature app. The companies hire somebody to come in and create an app like every other app. The type of app where they take a generic template and add a few details to get by.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Supporting Newsstand is very simple. Ask your subscription services to do so in their next update

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm all for choice, which Newsstand basically doesn't allow, lol.

For international coverage, I much prefer the Economist, the NYT/IHT and the Financial Times. I admit I tend to go light on cultural/features coverage. If I have time, I might read some, if not, oh well.

I still take the Economist in print (with free online access), because there are times when print is better, like when on a plane about to take off or land, lol.

This really is not about Newsstand. The app versions of the Economist and the New Yorker were available before Newsstand came along. And I don't see that print is better when I can have multiple editions of The Economist loaded on my iPad to have with me on the plane, which I regularly do. I couldn't see the point of lugging extra paper around, or having to depend on getting an Internet connection to read it on the Web.

But as I said, different strokes for different folks.

Most reactions

Latest posts