What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newsstand will not close

darrell6t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hadn't used Newsstand for months. Tried it again last night and it is still taking over my iPad and can only be closed by restarting the iPad. Newsstand becomes the Home Screen. Extremely annoying. Am I the only one this is happening to? Is there any way to remove Newsstand and reinstall it? I am using the latest iOS.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only way to reinstall Newsstand is to restore the device as a new device.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hadn't used Newsstand for months. Tried it again last night and it is still taking over my iPad and can only be closed by restarting the iPad. Newsstand becomes the Home Screen. Extremely annoying. Am I the only one this is happening to? Is there any way to remove Newsstand and reinstall it? I am using the latest iOS.
No, you're not the only one. This is how the app works now. To close Newsstand, you have to press the Home button. Pinch to close doesn't work here.

OP
D

darrell6t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, you're not the only one. This is how the app works now. To close Newsstand, you have to press the Home button. Pinch to close doesn't work here.

What is the point of that? Why doesn't Newsstand work like every other app? Has Apple ever explained this weird behavior? Or is it a bug that has not been fixed?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is the point of that? Why doesn't Newsstand work like every other app? Has Apple ever explained this weird behavior? Or is it a bug that has not been fixed?

Why is it so weird? There is only one button on an iPad. Magazines are inside newsstand and issues are inside each mag. Since you only have one button the natural thing to do is press the home button to go back out one level each time. I had no problem with this and it worked as I expected when I first tried it. Newsstand is a bit different than most apps. It seems like a simple thing to just try the home button.

OP
D

darrell6t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it so weird? There is only one button on an iPad. Magazines are inside newsstand and issues are inside each mag. Since you only have one button the natural thing to do is press the home button to go back out one level each time. I had no problem with this and it worked as I expected when I first tried it. Newsstand is a bit different than most apps. It seems like a simple thing to just try the home button.

In my case the Home button just goes right to Newsstand if Newsstand has ever been opened. Newsstand becomes the Home screen. I see this as a major bug in iOS 7.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my case the Home button just goes right to Newsstand if Newsstand has ever been opened. Newsstand becomes the Home screen. I see this as a major bug in iOS 7.

Mine doesn't do that. There must be an issue with your iPad. This doesn't seem to be a common problem as I have never heard if it here. I'm running iOS 7 on four devices, too.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Darrell, have you tried powering your iPad down, then restarting it? Not sleep, but totally off. If that doesn't help, next try a hard reset: hold down both the power and Home buttons until the white Apple logo appears. Every time I've had weirdness appear, that's fixed it.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Most reactions

Latest posts