What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cannot Delete [Older] Springboard Bookmarks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...and it's driving me nuts!

I had saved some bookmarks to my springboard via Safari many, many moons ago. Before I jailbroke my iPad for the first time (I jailbroke iOS 4.2.1).

Now, I've upgraded to iOS 4.3.3 and then re-jailbroke it via sn0wbreeze. As far as I know, everything seems fine.

So, I decided to clean up my iPad and delete a lot of the apps I had on it. Some of that clean-up includes getting rid of old bookmarks I had saved via Safari to the homescreen/springboard. The problem is: They. Will. Not. Go. Away!

It's almost if the upgrade/jailbreak to 4.3.3 baked these puppies into my iPad. I delete, respring, delete, respring, delete, reboot ... ad nauseum. Nothing seems to work.

First, as far as I can tell, I can't get rid of them in iTunes (only have an option to move them around, not delete them). If I am wrong about that, please correct me...

I had iBlank installed (a Cydia app that creates blank icons). I also can't delete two of those icons even though I have removed iBlank from my iPad.

Honestly, I'm pulling my hair out! I cannot figure out how to get these things OFF my iPad.

I believe I can restore my iPad to iOS 4.3.3 stock and then just not use my backup. But, that means I lose all my contact/e-mail info, which will really, well, not be great.

Is there any way I can go into the innards of the iPad via iFile and slice these bookmarks out? If that's possible, anyone know where they are?

I'm at the end of my limited knowledge (and rope!). I know I can just stick these stupid things in a folder and hide them away, but that's giving up. So - help?

Thanks.

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, and any bookmarks I add now will delete. So, it's not like I can't delete bookmarks at all, it's just I can't delete these!

Last edited:

techknott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sync your email and contacts to outlook(or whatever mac uses, if you're mac), then do a fresh install and set up as new. Then re-sync all your apps contacts etc from iTunes, NOT a backup.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[Gotta love Google!]

Okay, a bit of searching reveals this tip: for me to use iFile and go to private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips and delete the offending bookmarks.

Now that seems like a lovely solution. My only question is - is it safe? It seems so, but I really don't like mussing about with iFile/the iPad's innards if I can help it...

Thoughts?

Marilyn

P.S. Thanks for your input, techknott. Good to know that if I have to restore this, I won't/shouldn't have to use a backup that'll just start my troubles all over again...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn, try using sbsettings > power, and choose "safe mode". See if you can get rid of the bookmarks in this mode....
Once done, double tap the status bar, and press reset.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, f4780y, should have mentioned that I tried that.

And - it doesn't work.

I also tried renaming the bookmarks, moving them to a different page or putting them in a different folder (to include sub-folders). They delete nicely out of the folders and appear to be gone (even the folders disappear). Then, a respring/reboot makes all of them reappear on page 2 (the new download page).

Sigh.

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, a bit of searching reveals this tip: for me to use iFile and go to private/var/mobile/Library/WebClips and delete the offending bookmarks.

Now that seems like a lovely solution. My only question is - is it safe? It seems so, but I really don't like mussing about with iFile/the iPad's innards if I can help it...

OK, well you got to try the simple stuff first!

Quick answer is it is quite safe Marilyn, as long as you take you time and be careful not to delete anything else!
Any of the folders within this location should be fine to delete without further issue. It should solve your problems.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to confirm, tried it out as per attached screenie :)
Respring afterwards and all gone!
Safe as houses.

Attachments

• image-4185518213.png
    image-4185518213.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 623
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I've done and ta da! They are ALL gone! Yay!

And thanks for your screenie :)D), f4780y, cause that's where they all were. I SSH'd into the iPad, copied/saved the bookmarks I wanted to delete (to my PC, just in case something happens later) and then zap! Hit the delete key on the ones I didn't want, did a respring and all is good.

I saved notes on what I did, cause there are still some older bookmarks that I am keeping for now - but you never know what the future might bring...

I know it's a self-feeding loop, cause without the jailbreak I wouldn't have had this trouble, but it sure is nice to be able to SSH into the iPad and just delete stuff. Very handy, that.

Still don't know what was wrong, but I am glad there was a relatively easy fix.

Thanks to all that chipped in to help! Now, I can feel confident that what I'm saying in my signature line is true! :D

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Superb. Never heard of bookmarks messing up like this before though. One for the notebook!

Most reactions

Latest posts