What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

using your iDevice as an external storage device

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I have an iPad 3G/wifi jailbreaked 4.3.3 using jailbreakme. I have open SSH and winSCP. I have used this before to delete some bookmarks that would not go away from my springboard. Now, in regards to SSHing, would I be able to SSH into my iPod touch and drag my iPad iTunes backup into it to have a spare copy as I would using an external storage device? If so, where would I drag it?

Thanks a lot! I'm new here too btw :). So hi everyone!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could. In theory. But I'm not sure that's entirely practical, but you can do it if you want, for sure...

When you log into your device with SSH you will land in the "root" home directory. That is fine if you want to create a folder in there for your backup stuff. Watch your capacity though! I'm assuming you have a small iTunes library if you want to do this?
Storing backups which may regularly change on your iPad is not really a great use of flash storage. A cheap external HD is best for a backup. Or even a USB stick since your library must be pretty small to be able to be backed up on the iPad anyway.
My personal opinion would be don't. But that's just me. And I have a 500+GB iTunes library! :)

Last edited:
OP
V

VeGt0m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the late reply, but i just wanted to say thanks for the help guys! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts