What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad Mini play HD games/content?

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In September, my husband gave me an iPad3 as an upgrade from my iPad1. Then we all know what happened in October...no more iPad3. My husband is miffed about my "collectors item" iPad3 than I am. But now that the Mini is here, I want to check one out. But my question is, can the iPad Mini play HD games/content? I know the Mini is not a retina display, but I'm unsure if that has any bearing on whether it can play the HD stuff or not, since I never had an iPad2. Thanks in advance.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will speak to this from the developers side of the house.

At present, I am unaware of any apps that have been allowed to do a "For Retina Only IPads" application. Apple requires that all developers create the graphics assets for the lowest resolution (iPad 1, 2 and Mini) and then we have the option to provide Retina graphic assets as well.

So from that standpoint, you should have no issue with any content on the iPad Mini.

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. I think I'll be getting an iPad Mini soon. The in-laws are going to get my iPad3. :) Of course, if I miss the big Retina, I could get an iPad4 too.

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent. Thanks. I think I'll be getting an iPad Mini soon. The in-laws are going to get my iPad3. :) Of course, if I miss the big Retina, I could get an iPad4 too.

I can confirm that it plays HD video. I have played quite a few HD videos on mine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iandrew74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HD video looks good, have just watched Prometheus and was very impressed :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

G'day Purpleorchid. For what it's worth and if you are looking at timing of purchase, you may wish to refer to a post of mine under the Mini iPad forum. It's â€tonight†(Australian time) but like the song says "night and day"
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL..too late. I picked up my black 32GB Mini yesterday. I did the 10pm in-store pickup purchase method Tues night and got lucky and picked up my Mini Wed night.

I'm well aware of the annual refreshes. I am not a yearly Apple buyer. I am still using my iPhone4 (not 4S) and have no true need for an iPhone5, but I will in Dec b/c my camera lens is too scratched up to take useful pics. I have been using my iPad (original) until 1.5 months ago when I got the iPad3. But don't get me wrong, I have wanted every single iteration b/c I love gadgets. :)

So in reality, I've only been using Retina Display for 1.5 months. It is a gorgeous display. It's a well known fact of technology that things refresh incrementally and often. I don't get too bent out of shape over it.

After the iPhone5 came out and when rumors were flying that Oct would bring an iPad Mini would come out, I knew that was the form factor I wanted: smaller and lighter than my original iPad. The second I touched one in person, I wanted it. However, I was going to wait since I had no reason to buy it. However, the situation changed last week when we decided to get my in-laws wifi at their house and we would give them my iPad3 so we could FaceTime. Well, now I needed a new iPad. "Do I get an iPad4 or the Mini?" For me, it was no question that form factor wins over Retina display. I rarely bring my iPad outside the house, but I will now that I have a Mini. :)

How do I like the Mini? I like it. So far, the only gripe is that surfing in portrait mode is a bit fuzzy, but it's not a valid gripe. I use my iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time anyway, and surfing in landscape mode is sharper.

After all this, I have one lingering question. I just got Tapatalk last week when it was on sale, and just noticed a couple of the posts above this use the quote feature and their sig says they were using Tapatalk. How do I post a "reply with quote" in Tapatalk? I usually used Safari to do forum stuff, so I'm a Tapatalk newbie. :)

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL..too late. I picked up my black 32GB Mini yesterday. I did the 10pm in-store pickup purchase method Tues night and got lucky and picked up my Mini Wed night.

I'm well aware of the annual refreshes. I am not a yearly Apple buyer. I am still using my iPhone4 (not 4S) and have no true need for an iPhone5, but I will in Dec b/c my camera lens is too scratched up to take useful pics. I have been using my iPad (original) until 1.5 months ago when I got the iPad3. But don't get me wrong, I have wanted every single iteration b/c I love gadgets. :)

So in reality, I've only been using Retina Display for 1.5 months. It is a gorgeous display. It's a well known fact of technology that things refresh incrementally and often. I don't get too bent out of shape over it.

After the iPhone5 came out and when rumors were flying that Oct would bring an iPad Mini would come out, I knew that was the form factor I wanted: smaller and lighter than my original iPad. The second I touched one in person, I wanted it. However, I was going to wait since I had no reason to buy it. However, the situation changed last week when we decided to get my in-laws wifi at their house and we would give them my iPad3 so we could FaceTime. Well, now I needed a new iPad. "Do I get an iPad4 or the Mini?" For me, it was no question that form factor wins over Retina display. I rarely bring my iPad outside the house, but I will now that I have a Mini. :)

How do I like the Mini? I like it. So far, the only gripe is that surfing in portrait mode is a bit fuzzy, but it's not a valid gripe. I use my iPad in landscape mode 99% of the time anyway, and surfing in landscape mode is sharper.

After all this, I have one lingering question. I just got Tapatalk last week when it was on sale, and just noticed a couple of the posts above this use the quote feature and their sig says they were using Tapatalk. How do I post a "reply with quote" in Tapatalk? I usually used Safari to do forum stuff, so I'm a Tapatalk newbie. :)

G'day Purplechild, Good choice! And I'm sure you will enjoy your new machine. It's good to see someone make a decision on what they actually need after thoughtful consideration.

I mostly use Tapatalk and like it, particularly the feature where you can start typing, then leaving it (by saving what you typed) going off to check something, going back to the thread and recommence where you left off. To answer your question:
To "reply with quote" simply tap the post you want to respond to. You will see useful choices.
All the best, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loopingstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HD Games look great on the mini . Really enjoyed playing Angry Birds Star Wars HD , Bad Piggies HD and Sonic Jump today .

Apple Addict ! iPad 3 , Mini iPad & iPod Touch 5 owner :)

Most reactions

Latest posts