What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying an iPad 2 for college, need advice?

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't tried my iPad in class yet, I start class on the 1st - but I've typed a lot of things on it in various places - Echofon, MyPad, Vtok, etc - and I type pretty darn accurately. At the right angle I think typing on it is just as easy as a keyboard - only thing it lacks (if you're in class), is the sound/assurance you're hitting actual keys.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Viper52 said:
Hi all,

I'm about to enter my 3rd year of college in a few days and am thinking about purchasing an iPad 2 to bring with me to classes. I'm tired of lugging my heavy HP Laptop everywhere and have problems with it being able to fit on a desk in my lecture halls without it sliding off or being cumbersome. I'm really thinking an iPad 2 may be the ideal tool to bring along for note-taking and loading different webpages, graphs, etc etc. Of course it'll also be used for fun, mainly being able to lay in bed at night and surf the internet, check emails, facebook, etc.

Now I AM on a limited budget but think I can swing the 16 gb iPad 2 along with a smartcover. Will this be enough space for my needs?

I do NOT plan on putting any of my iTunes on it (already have a 1st generation iPod Touch for that) and I really don't plan on storing movies on it either (all are burned onto the harddrive of my laptop).

I basically want something I can take notes on, check emails/facebook, use the internet, play games, and probably download a few dozen apps. 16 gb should suffice right?

Color preference? I like glossy black and will probably get a lime green smartcover, do they work as well as advertised? Should I get a different cover?

Anything I really need to know? What is a good notetaking application, purely typing, not handwritten.

Hi, 16Gb sounds as if it would be big enough for you and what you intend to do with it, but the thing is once you get an iPad you will probably discover so much more that you will want to do with it. There are many posts on this forum from people who wished they sprang for a larger capacity. Food for thought just there.

I have the smart cover and I really do like it, it does perform just like they say. I also have a snap on clear back cover to protect it from scratching and am so glad I got that. You can get them on eBay quite cheap (I paid $10 for mine) but make sure that it is the one that is designed to be used with the smart cover.

Note taking apps are really a personal choice and there are some great threads here on this topic. I have Notes Plus There are also some great tutorial like reviews on a lot of them on YouTube.

Good luck

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
better to choose the 16gb device,which would be economic and practical..I have already got one, It is enough for daily study and entertainment...

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that I've had my iPad for a few days, I think 16GB is PLENTY of space for me. I have 2 movies on it right now (no music), a few pictures, and 50 apps. I've only used up a few gigs. So I think you'll be fine!

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If money is tight, I would consider not going for the smart cover. In the UK they are extremely expensive and I presume they are in the US too. It doesn't offer any protection to the rear of the iPad, which is important if you are going to be carrying it around a lot. I've also seen my friend drop his (fortunately it didn't fall far and survived) after picking it up by part of the cover which detached putting the iPad in free fall. I know these covers are very popular but I just can't see why, other than the fact they do look good. I bought a cover that was as cheap as chips from Amazon. It cost about £10, is black leather (or leather effect..looks good, either way), and folds in to two positions, auto locks and gives great protection. I don't think i'm allowed to give a link, but you'll find these covers easily by searching on Amazon. They get consistently high rated reviews and seem to be available from many sellers on both sides of the pond.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I continue to be a bit surprised at the suggestions to buy a keyboard with your iPad. I think there is a term for such a combination: Laptop.

If you decide a keyboard is a requirement, a laptop would be a better option, in my mind. Potentially cheaper, too.

I've used an 11" laptop for a couple of years as an adjunct to my 15" laptop when I travel. It's true that it was a bit less expensive than the iPad (It's a cheap laptop), but I've been surprised to find that the iPad has a number of advantages.

() The laptop has a terrible keyboard. The Apple Wireless Keyboard I typically use with the iPad is much, much better.

() I hate trackpads. So when crammed into a middle seat in coach, I still dragged along a small travel mouse. No longer need to do so.

() Even with a separate keyboard, the iPad takes up less space on that little airline table than the 11" laptop. And while the laptop is light, the iPad and keyboard weigh even less. And if I don't need the keyboard, I simply don't pull it out of my bag.

() Battery for the laptop lasts about 3-4 hours max. I get twice that from the iPad. A BIG advantage on a cross-country trip or (I suspect) for a student who needs enough power to get through a day of classes.

() The 1366x768 screen on the laptop theoretically gave me more real estate than the iPad. But in fact, I couldn't really use it. The 11" screen was simply too small to handle multiple windows so I had to resort to using my larger laptop anyhow when I needed to do serious work.

In fact, I thought my small laptop was a rather good solution for airline travel. I've been surprised to find that the iPad/Apple Wireless Keyboard/Origami Workstation is actually a better solution. I suspect that a student (who has a more powerful laptop for other work) may find the same.

DarkHorizon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are going to be doing alot of continious typing you would be better off with a small laptop. The ipad is very good to use but if you end up having to bring a keyboard seems a bit of a waste of time and effort. Also it is easier to share files etc with a laptop as most run Windows , MS Office and allow you to use USB memory sticks, work with any printer etc.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go for as much storage as you can afford. You'll be using this device for at least the next 4 years. You might just find yourself using the iPad in unexpected ways, e.g., to store and read scanned PDF versions of your textbooks and novels, and to download articles for research papers in PDF format. You might end up taking a course or two for which the required texts are all ebooks. You could also end up taking an online course or two.

You might also find yourself transitioning to creating PowerPoint presentation assignments on your iPad or using your iPad to revise PowerPoint presentations on the go or in the library or cafeteria. If you ever take a speech course or have an oral presentation assignment, then you might find yourself using the iPad instead of paper index cards while giving your presentation.

Of course, you wouldn't need the same documents from one semester to the next and 16GB might just be all you need, but life isn't all about work and you might still find yourself wanting to download some games, a movie or two, etc.

Most reactions

Latest posts