What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Business Wifi

sanadin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings.

I am attempting to connect to my companies wireless network with my iPad, but as you might guess, only registered devices are able to connect.

Short of coming up with some way to spoof my iPads hardware address, I'm not sure what my options are, if there are any. Attempting to set up an ad-hoc network with my work computer is out, as that feature is restricted.

I'm wondering, however, if there is a USB device I can plug into my work laptop that will function as an Access Point using the wired connection going into my laptop.

Meaning..

Wired Connection ---> Laptop ---> USB AP thing ---> iPad

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to take your company network administrator out for a few beers some night... :)

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Capt Kirk is wise. :)

If you find a way to make your laptop into a wireless AP I strongly recommend you make it secure. Otherwise you could expose your laptop to anybody with a WiFi device within range of your laptop.

Better to probably just buy a wireless router and plug that into your wired connection in your office. Be sure to configure your wireless router to use WPA2 and set a good password so that only you can use it.

Either one of these methods may also be against your company's IT/security policy so don't blame me if you get busted.

Good luck!

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beware! Sometimes you can really piss off your IT folks by trying something like that. I agree - take the IT guys out for a couple of beers and see what you can do.

Else - wait a few weeks and get the 3G version :)

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beware! Sometimes you can really piss off your IT folks by trying something like that. I agree - take the IT guys out for a couple of beers and see what you can do.

Else - wait a few weeks and get the 3G version :)

I agree, working your way around it might be a huge pain and could get you in trouble (or fired) -- best to try and get it authorized via MAC address instead.

OP
S

sanadin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I could argue with you guys, but yeah any of these work arounds would definitely get me at least a slap on the wrist, which I'm not looking to incur.

But I might consider the router thing... is there any way to broadcast a network that isn't detectable unless you know the name? Obviously, I wouldn't want it showing up on everyone's available wifi lists.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I could argue with you guys, but yeah any of these work arounds would definitely get me at least a slap on the wrist, which I'm not looking to incur.

But I might consider the router thing... is there any way to broadcast a network that isn't detectable unless you know the name? Obviously, I wouldn't want it showing up on everyone's available wifi lists.

You can turn off the SSID broadcast but someone who's looking for it (with a sniffer) can still detect it, just makes it a bit harder.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can return your wifi model within 2 weeks of purchase. Will only cost you $49. Then you can buy a 3G - and be connected wherever you are. Obviously I type this out of pure arrogance of your financial situation - but the 3G might fix your problems.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now that I have my WiFi iPad , really bummed that Verizon did not make the same deal with Apple so I would have access to 3G, having unlimited 3G would make this thing even more amazing.

OP
S

sanadin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, heheh...

My jailbroken iPhone is already providing 3G to my iPad over wifi. Or at least it would be if it wasn't suffering from the dread overheating issue. That issue aside, you might say I'm just being greedy with the whole business wifi stuff.

iserian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you one of the guys using your Ipad in the Oven?

Well, heheh...

My jailbroken iPhone is already providing 3G to my iPad over wifi. Or at least it would be if it wasn't suffering from the dread overheating issue. That issue aside, you might say I'm just being greedy with the whole business wifi stuff.

OP
S

sanadin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you one of the guys using your Ipad in the Oven?

Well, heheh...

Haha, if you mean am I one of the guys using the iPhone in the Freezer.. then yes (not kidding, it's the best way to find out if the reason you can't get wifi is due to the overheating issue).

Most reactions

Latest posts