What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BtStack Keyboard/Mouse better on 5.0.1

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had BtStack Keyboard and Mouse apps installed on my iPad for some time now. With the 4.3.3 JB iOS, they were both unreliable - especially the mouse - dropping out frequently, loosing connection after turning off the screen for just a minute or so, and otherwise a PITA.

I am VERY HAPPY to report now (on my setup) that with the upgrade to 5.0.1 and re-JB, both KB and Mouse are quite functional and reliable. The mouse wakes the iPad (brings the screen back on) after it has been off for quite some time. (I need to perform some timed trials to know the extent of the connection persistance after the set hasn't been used.)

I decided to give it a try after remembering the mice up in the cupboard that I hadn't used for months. The mouse I have been using since yesterday is the Logitec V470 (I think that's the model number, but can't find an identifier on the mouse itsself). I also have an MS 5000 BT mouse, but haven't tried it yet.

The connection routine for both units is somewhat easier now, but still has to be performed using a specific order of steps. I know what they are and can deal with that.

I hope this will help some of those who would like to give the mouse a try. For some, who are trying to do more involved work that finger pointing makes somewhat inconvenient, the mouse is a real great tool.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh boy, I sure did. The keyboard was not bad, except for the action of the on-screen keyboard popping up on the screen every time a keyboard entry was called for (tap a text entry box), and that is still an issue. I sent a message a couple of days ago stating that the native stack keeps the on-screen KB from coming up when external keyboard is connected and used (I have the Apple aluminum one).

The mouse, however, was a nightmare. Inspite of installing the Insomnia app and having it running all the time, the mouse would just stop working at random times, and ALWAYS shortly after the iPad screen blanked out. Each of those instances would, of course, require a return to the complete KB/Mouse setup and attachment routine.... a real pain.

Additionally, the steps required to get the keyboard and mouse connected and active would frequently not work right, meaning I had to go back and do it over and over. Those same, precisely ordered steps are still required, but seem to work right the first time - every time now.

This morning, after just leaving the iPad sleeping overnight, I moved the mouse and it brought the iPad alive in less than a second. That was fantastic! And so far, I have not had the mouse or the keyboard crash once. It really is different and better to me.

Those BtStack modules have not been updated since I got them many months ago, so it has to be something different in iOS 5.

Ldavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there. I think it's great you feel the mouse/keyboard works better on ios5. I however am having great difficulty getting them to work together. Would you mind sharing the precise steps you need to take in order to get them to function simultaneously? I can get one or the other to work, and only one time have I gotten both to work, but i can't seem to do it again. It really helps now that my iPad is my main computer, and what I do homework on. Thanks!

Ldavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, very odd. For some reason, I said to myself, "okay, lets try this one last time, and if it doesn't work then I;m done for now," and voila! I first connected the keyboard then the mouse, but the weird thing is that I did that exact thing before and it didnt work. So if you can get it to work reliably, I would still like to know specifically what you do. Thanks, bud!! :)

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there... glad you didn't give it up, as it is a bit tricky. I'll make a numbered list of the exact steps that work best and most reliably for me.

1. Make sure that neither of the two BTStack modules are active. Remove them from the multitask bar.
2. Go into settings and find BTStack. Set it to "None"
3. Make sure both keyboard and mouse are off.
4. Poke on the BTstack Keyboard module icon, turn on the keyboard and get it into discover mode, then when the screen identifies it with its name, poke that name and get it to "connect." When the connect red bar shows up, poke that and disconnect it... then leave it just like that for the next steps and go out of that screen.
5. Poke on the BTStack Mouse module icon, turn on the Mouse power and get it into discover mode. When the mouse is identified, poke on that name and let it connect to the mouse. When the mouse is connected (with the red connected bar showing), go out of that screen and go back to the keyboard module screen and reconnect the keyboard.

When those steps are performed just like that, both KB and Mouse will be active and (in iOS 5.0.1) will stay that way. I leave them connected like that overnight, and when I move the mouse in the morning, the thing comes back to life and works like a charm.

I also have a background app running called "Prevent Sleep" which I'm sure helps keep the connections active while I'm away from the pad. I don't leave the iPad alone for long periods of time without it being plugged in to power.

Let me know how you compare this to what you last did that made it work.

Last edited:

Ldavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, thank you for responding quickly! I followed your instructions to a T, and it did not work twice, but the third time it did work. I connect keyboard, then discconect it, but it still has the keyboard option up there (good idea! I see why you chose to do that). Then, I connect mouse, and go back to the keyboard and connect it. What happened both times before it worked was the keyboard would connect, and I would be able to type in the "test" area, but as soon as I hit the homescreen, they beyboard wouldnt work anymore :(. I went into the App backgrounder, and made it so the keyboard app continues to stay open, and for some reason that worked. Does it work everytime for you, or do you have to try a couple times everytime you reconnect them? Once I get them both connected they stay connected until I change that.

Thanks again for your help, I think the program is just a little tweaky because bluetooth using a single frequency, and you are getting interferance between the to when connecting, arent you? IDK, could be wrong, but I'm just happy it works sometimes.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With my JB 4.3.3 version, I did have lots of connect problems... sounding like what you describe. With this latest upgrade and JB, I can make both KB and Mouse connect flawlessly every time, AND... they stay connected, until I turn off the iPad, which I don't do much anymore. Do make sure you give enough time for a "connect" especially when going back to connect the KB in it's module/screen. Be patient if it sits there for a few moments, looking like it won't.

Just for clarity, I am using the Mac aluminum external keyboard and a Logitech V470 BT mouse. I also have the MS 5000 mouse, but haven't gotten it back out to try with this latest OS and JB. The Logitech mouse works so well, that I don't want to dissappoint myself unnecessarily by trying something else, I guess.

Keep practicing!

Last edited:

Ldavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay, I got it to work everytime now! Even without using backgrounder :)

Instead of connecting the keyboard and then disconnecting it, I went into BTstack keyboard, and put the keyboard into discoverable mode, but did not connect it. Then I connected the mouse, went back to the keyboard app, (the keyboard was still thereso I didnt have to rediscover it) and connected it. Works everytime now :) Thanks for your instructions sir! They allowed me to see what was necessary to connect both of these devices together

falstaffpac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips in this thread. I was getting pretty disappointed with BTkeyboard/BTmouse due to failure getting them both connected. I was hard rebooting the iPad to get them paired. Toggling the BTStack off/on is a real time saver. I also agree with the post above mine, which is to:
1. Identify the keyboard in pairing mode first but DO NOT PAIR it.
2. Identify and pair the mouse.
3. Pair the keyboard.

I have it working on my system pretty reliably now. It does seem the keyboard loses pairing if not used for awhile (10-15 minutes or so), which forces me to unpair, close BTkeyboard/BTmouse in Appswitcher, toggle BTstack off/on, re-pair everything. Not having to hard reboot each time is a blessing.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Falstaffpac:

What keyboard are you using. The Apple aluminum external BT kb has been absolutely no problem all the way that I have been doing this BTStack thing. It was the mouse that was the pain.

I have noticed that standard Alkaline batteries in the Logitech V470 mouse don't last long (2 weeks), so I have just ordered a set of high-grade NiMh batteries and a charger. That should make the battery issue easier to deal with.

Ldavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to see that we could help you. One of the two methods should work for everyone at this point. I can't believe how hard it is to find a solution to some of these issues. Guess its not that popular. If my iPad goes into sleep mode for about 30 minutes, the mouse will not wake it up? Lucky can get it to work even after it is in sleep mode overnight. My solution to this is to get sleep depriver (or maybe deprived) from cydia, which will prevent the iPad from going into sleep mode. Therefore the mouse will never disconnect. I left it connected an untouched for about an hour, and it still worked. I will almost always keep my iPad plugged in while using this because btstack seems to take a lot of battery life with prolonged use. Thanks again for the help through this!

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On the iPad, I'm using a tweak called "Prevent Sleep" from Cydia, which is controlled through SBSettings. Seems to allow me to wake the pad in the morning (after overnight) every time. I'm using Insomnia on the phone (different reason).

Most reactions

Latest posts