What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bricked and not able to contact Ipad update server!!!

smackinisaiah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm obviously new (as this is my first post) and I've searched far and wide across Google and can't seem to find a straightforward answer on how to fix my issue, but I've gotten my iPad stuck on the Apple logo and cannot seem to get it to restore in iTunes.

After downloading the 4.2.1 ipsw, uninstalling and reinstalling, then shift clicking Restore in iTunes, I still cannot get past the "The iPad 'iPad' cannot be restored at this time because the iPad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable" error every time iTunes attempts to verify with Apple.

I was previously jailbroken, was installing an app, the iPad started to get slightly laggy so I attempted a restart and BAM, stuck on the Apple logo. This was when I plugged the iPad into the computer, iTunes popped up, I clicked Restore and got the error code. After that was when I downloaded the 4.2.1 restore file and attempted a shift click and got the same issue. I then uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled and still same problem. Then I plugged the iPad into my roommate's computer and after clicking restore, his comp tried download iPhone OS 3.2 software so I said to hell with that and canceled it.

Has ANYONE had this or a similar issue and have any advice on how to fix this? I really don't want to be stuck with a 2 week old $450 christmas present...

And if this issue has already been resolved, I do apologize for posting a thread, but as I said, I haven't had any luck searching youtube and google for a similar issue. Everyone else's issues and solutions were extremely simple and not as complex as mine seems to be.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You probably just need to check your hosts file. Sounds to me like it's pointing to localhost for tinyumbrella.... Make sure you get rid of any reference to gs.apple.com in your hosts (and of course that you have an Internet connection) and it should be good to try again...

Most reactions

Latest posts