What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware of CRACKLE!

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know there have been some warnings about Cracle and its location usage, but I haven't seen this one:

Half way through the billing cycle my daughter got the "usage warning email." She had been running the battery down more than usual, too. I found that the GPS was on, but I couldn't find the reason. Although she hadn't reset the usage counters, 6 or so months of data showed a large percentage of transmitted data, and looking at the usage at att.com showed that for the past several days a huge amount of data had been sent - sometimes as much as 200 MB - around midnight, give or take an hour. Opening up the location services showed that, yep, Crackle was location enabled and, even though the app was completely closed, the GPS icon was displayed beside it. I disabled location for it and it seems to be okay...

luckyleo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
k7lvo said:
I know there have been some warnings about Cracle and its location usage, but I haven't seen this one:

Half way through the billing cycle my daughter got the "usage warning email." She had been running the battery down more than usual, too. I found that the GPS was on, but I couldn't find the reason. Although she hadn't reset the usage counters, 6 or so months of data showed a large percentage of transmitted data, and looking at the usage at att.com showed that for the past several days a huge amount of data had been sent - sometimes as much as 200 MB - around midnight, give or take an hour. Opening up the location services showed that, yep, Crackle was location enabled and, even though the app was completely closed, the GPS icon was displayed beside it. I disabled location for it and it seems to be okay...

Thanks! I appreciate the heads-up.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Between Netflix, Hulu+ and HBOGo its not really needed....deleted.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The icon doesn't mean location services are currently being used, only that they'd been used in the last 24 hours. So it doesn't matter if Crackle was running or not.

I always decline location services and push notifications when asked by an app unless I know there is a specific reason for it. I don't need apps notifying me of meaningless stuff ;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The compass icon in the top bar means GPS is currently being used. If you shut down the app using it it goes away.

OP
K

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out.

Just to clarify, although I originaly said I found that the GPS was on, I neglected to add that the way I knew it was that the icon was also displayed in the top bar. It disappeared when I disallowed location by Crackle.

LLCOOLJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guys i cant download crackle,

Not available in my region, how do i fix this? IM from philippines

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LLCOOLJ said:
Guys i cant download crackle,

Not available in my region, how do i fix this? IM from philippines
Unfortunately it can't be fixed.
Crackle is only available to users in Canada,the US and the UK.Other countries are not supported at this time.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Crackle is only available to users in Canada,the US and the UK.Other countries are not supported at this time.

We have Crackle here, Australia also.

LLCOOLJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:

Thanks for the info

Most reactions

Latest posts