What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Between autocorrect and no Flash...

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the iPad, but between autocorrect on forms and no flash, the device is really frustrating me. This week, I wanted to do some online shopping using the iPad. Filling out forms is a pia. Autocorrect (caps and spell check) make it impossible to fill out forms. There were some combo boxes where the control wouldn't populate the field correctly. Tried to use some financial sites that used flash and couldn't get my transactions to work. No flames please, but I had to get out the $300 Netbook to do real work. Since i'm venting, discovered the hard way that my podcasts wouldn't update through WiFi and I have to sync to get them.

Again, love the iPad, but for me it has turned into an entertainment device.

How about a function on the virtual keypad that says, "don't autocorrect/spell me". Or, let me add my own words to the dictionary, case sensitive? And say what you will, but you can't ignore the flash situation. I dumped Safari for the Atomic browser to get around the auto-redirection to the tablet version of the sites, plus an ability to increase and save font sizes per site. I know there is a browser that does limited flash, but how many 1-off's are we expected to install to work around the standard apps? Ok, one more thing - I really wish the older apps could rotate to landscape. I keep my iPad in a stand that is landscape and it's impossible to use the portrait only app view.

OP
T

Taylork1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, here are some examples just from today. Went to a financial site to transfer some money. (don't want to name the bank). Some content like asset mix was in Flash so the page was incomplete. Then, being a Jets fan, I went to NFL.com. The banner at the top didn't render and that's where the quick game schedule is, and how you easily get to the play-by-play. So then I went to FoxNews.com and saw a video that looked interesting on the floods in AU. Flash again. I couldn't even get through Chanel.com to order some stuff, gave up.

Inconveniences, yes. Show stoppers, no. Still need to keep my PC handy, yes. These small things are affecting my customer experience.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Love the iPad, but between autocorrect on forms and no flash, the device is really frustrating me. This week, I wanted to do some online shopping using the iPad. Filling out forms is a pia. Autocorrect (caps and spell check) make it impossible to fill out forms.

How about a function on the virtual keypad that says, "don't autocorrect/spell me".

So, turn it off!

ipad27.jpg

Ok, one more thing - I really wish the older apps could rotate to landscape. I keep my iPad in a stand that is landscape and it's impossible to use the portrait only app view.
The choice to rotate or not to rotate is determined by the app developer, it is not a shortcoming of the iPad or the age of the iOS.

Lavenderlady*w*iPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can go into Settings/Keyboard an turn off Auto Correct and Auto Caps. I did it was driving me crazy!

edit to add:
You beat me 1991! :)

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Love the iPad, but between autocorrect on forms and no flash, the device is really frustrating me.

I agree on autocorrect, it can be very annoying. I think that it can be turned off in Settings. I do basically want to have autocorrect on, it just seems to be a poor implementation on the iPad, by which I mean the implementations in other environments seem to be much less annoying.

As for Flash, I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that it precludes me from using some web sites that I would like to. What I don't understand is the stridency of attempts by some to explain away the issue.

I have also seen the issue with list boxes. It doesn't seem to be resricted to just Safari, Atomic Browser seems to have the same problem so it must be related to iOS itself.

Text selection is another source of frustration. There are times when cursor keys would help.

Overall I like the iPad but, as my school reports used to say, "could do better":D

Last edited:

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Download the CNN app and watch the news videos when and where you want.

Elektra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why doesn't iPad learn not to autocorrect my name?

I use my real name 'Tess' all over the place and it's a key component in my email address. Yet on the iPad, each time I type tess@... Ipad autocorrects to 'tesserae' or 'tees'. In fact, even in this message it has autocorrected my name and red-underlined it..

I read on another post that iPad learns not to autocorrect if the word is part of an email address.

Not so in my case! It's driving me bonkers!

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for auto-correct: just turn it off in general settings.

As for Flash: you can't have Flash on a tablet and have 10+ hours of battery life. Battery life or Flash? You might have heard that even the first "real" Android tablet, the Xoom, is shipping without Flash. They are waiting until Adobe's mobile flash is ready. There's just no getting around the fact that Flash drains the battery with the kind of processors that tablets like the iPad and Xoom use.

naman919

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for those that don't like the autocorrect, check out manualcorrect in the cydia store. it's free and of course you need to be rooted.

it will show the correct word but let you keep typing without correcting the word. you can select the world and replace if you want to. it allows you to keep autocorrect on without forcing the correction.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with no flash. The iPad was not designed as a main computer. If need to do online banking, or if there is a site than only uses flash I just use my MacBook.

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with no flash. The iPad was not designed as a main computer. If need to do online banking, or if there is a site than only uses flash I just use my MacBook.

Exactly. Not to mention, most big banks (and more and more local banks) have iOS apps to be able to do all banking without the need for flash.

Most reactions

Latest posts