What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats missing from the iPad. (iOS) in general.

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
+1 on this. There should be no reason to need a computer of any kind to activate an iPad. Backing up and syncing should still be an option that COULD be cloud-based to some extent (at least for data and settings-apps could be re-installed from the App Store via an all-in-one service download in chunks at a time). I've been wanting to give my Mom an iPad. She doesn't have any computer

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
just an idea get her the pad set it up and when is needs updating have her overnight it to you I do this with my mom and with what she does with it I haven had to update it yet she's still on 3.2 and having a blast the overnight fees should be $10 each way if you shop around

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Blackhart said:
just an idea get her the pad set it up and when is needs updating have her overnight it to you I do this with my mom and with what she does with it I haven had to update it yet she's still on 3.2 and having a blast the overnight fees should be $10 each way if you shop around

Yeah, I thought about that. However, the ONLY way she can get anything sent out via FedEx or UPS is to drive out to her local market: 30 minutes away. She lives up in the hills. Plus shipping to/from there has never been cheap. And it wouldn't just be $10. I always insure an expensive device (value more than the $100 base amount insured by either carrier for free) during any transit, per past bad experience. Trust me, this kind of stuff is on my mind. I wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing but I'm trying to keep things simple for my mother. And I'm pretty anal about making sure all of my devices are fully updated and backed up on a regular basis. Too bad Carbonite (which I absolutely love, use and recommend) doesn't back up iPads. That'd be so sweet.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yeah, I thought about that. However, the ONLY way she can get anything sent out via FedEx or UPS is to drive out to her local market: 30 minutes away. She lives up in the hills. Plus shipping to/from there has never been cheap. And it wouldn't just be $10. I always insure an expensive device (value more than the $100 base amount insured by either carrier for free) during any transit, per past bad experience. Trust me, this kind of stuff is on my mind. I wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing but I'm trying to keep things simple for my mother. And I'm pretty anal about making sure all of my devices are fully updated and backed up on a regular basis. Too bad Carbonite (which I absolutely love, use and recommend) doesn't back up iPads. That'd be so sweet.

Well you could always move her in with you maybe maybe not
Didn't think about the extra cost for ins

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Blackhart said:
Well you could always move her in with you maybe maybe not
Didn't think about the extra cost for ins

Yeah. I'll just take up residence in her basement like any stereotypical nerd and have her send it down via the dumbwaiter or laundry chute.

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Yeah. I'll just take up residence in her basement like any stereotypical nerd and have her send it down via the dumbwaiter or laundry chute.

Gave mine her own room /bathroom/she only comes out to feed

mikesong0323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wireless syncing.
Can be remedied if you've got a jailbroken idevice--get wi-fi sync from cydia.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

TonyIsSocial

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something else I noticed today; the hashtag is buried 2 deep. Don't tweeters use that extensively now? Especially on mobile devices? Getting the apostrophe and quote marks is pretty sweet by swiping the two lower right keys up and more like that would be nice.

Found another how-to video from TipB. Tried to paste a link here but I'm on the iPad now and it was a fail... :)

Last edited:

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ability to download, unzip, etc. I wanted to get an audiobook for an out of print book (St. Augustine's Confessions) while at my girlfriend's house and I was unable to download it, and even if I was able to, its a zip file. I had to download it and unzip it on my phone, which ended up dying shortly after. iFile is very inconvenient and my iPad 2 isn't jailbroken yet.

It needs to be able to act as a standalone device. I love the form factor, but it should be able to do things such as this. I'm sure everyone would agree.

Reaction score
kevbo said:
The ability to download, unzip, etc. I wanted to get an audiobook for an out of print book (St. Augustine's Confessions) while at my girlfriend's house and I was unable to download it, and even if I was able to, its a zip file. I had to download it and unzip it on my phone, which ended up dying shortly after. iFile is very inconvenient and my iPad 2 isn't jailbroken yet.

Goodreader let's you download and unzip files on non-jb devices.

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is a great app to have. Especially if you want to download files and media from safari and your not Jailbroke. But MyMedia is FREE



Most reactions

Latest posts