What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats missing from the iPad. (iOS) in general.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Uh, that comparison is stupid. A majority of video on the internet is in flash. Thousands and thousands of websites rely on flash and cannot be used without it. The successor to flash hasn't even been standardized yet. You might want to check this out:

http://ishtml5readyyet.com/

So basically 3 years of non standardized video ahead. Will iOS support HTML5 videos encoded using the WebM format? Currently it only supports HTML5 video encoded with h.264. So without a standard, iOS devices won't even support all HTML5 videos since there will be various encoding formats.

Uh...no comparison was actually made there. Not sure what you're reading. My point is some people are just hanging onto old technology that is outdated or being outdated like there's nothing more coming over the horizon ever again. Unless WWIII and worldwide disaster happens, I don't see any reason why anyone needs to harbor old technology that's not only lost or losing its relevance, but practicality the point that it becomes counter-productive.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh...no comparison was actually made there. Not sure what you're reading. My point is some people are just hanging onto old technology that is outdated or being outdated like there's nothing more coming over the horizon ever again. Unless WWIII and worldwide disaster happens, I don't see any reason why anyone needs to harbor old technology that's not only lost or losing its relevance, but practicality the point that it becomes counter-productive.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Uh, you directly compared flash to zip drives. That is why you used the word "too". Also, Flash is not "old" technology. It may be within a few years of its demise, but its not old or outdated. Even when compared with its successor, HTML5, it still offers superior quality and functionality at this point.

OP
E

Enkay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Model T is an old car, yet people still own them and drive them. They require modern day things to run them.

Flash is not an extinct tech. Betamax tapes are a dead tech. I can not go into a bestbuy and buy a betamax player. Why? Because no one uses them anymore.

Flash is not the same.

I own a ton of Apple Products: 27' iMac, MBP, iPhone, iPad, iPod. That being said the only two products that are really lacikng are the iPhone and the iPad, and one of the biggest problems is flash support.

If flash was so out of date why is nytimes.com still using it?

Give me a break, it is missing from the OS. and while this product is great it is lacking.

As I have said before, if Apple had Flash on this device it would be 2+ years ahead of anything else.

D_LA_ROC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do all these things by Jailbreaking your iDevice. Except the Flash, but you can install the SkyFire browser which works with most sites for flash. But once you Jailbreak, you can add as many icons where ever you want, even widgets, as long as you install the right tweak.

Sent from my incredible iPad 2

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
the new ios needs the ability to enable you to ditch the computer tether when you want to initialise, backup and upgrade firmware and sync media.

the time when the ipad can truly be stand alone will be awesome.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Agree the next upgrade needs to see the iPad kicked free from wired syncing.

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just lack of file management ruins the experience!

I can accept they don't want to give access to system files, but users should be allowed to manage their own files.

Dropbox etc. can't be solution for this as all apps copy their own versions eating up storage space (and you can't add more storage)!

Actually iOS has all the features anyway. Problem is Apple crippled them intentionally in iPad. They fear if people start using iPad as replacement of laptops, their profits from Macbook will go down seriously.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Agree the next upgrade needs to see the iPad kicked free from wired syncing.

+1 on this. There should be no reason to need a computer of any kind to activate an iPad. Backing up and syncing should still be an option that COULD be cloud-based to some extent (at least for data and settings-apps could be re-installed from the App Store via an all-in-one service download in chunks at a time). I've been wanting to give my Mom an iPad. She doesn't have any computer at all (Dad does-and there is no broadband in their area-but she doesn't mess with it for fear he'll blame her if anything goes wrong with it). A 3G iPad would be easy for her to learn and use. BUT I'd also have to give her a laptop and teach her how to use the damned thing for backing up and updating the iPad, etc., which is a whole different ball of wax when you consider the complexities of a PC or Mac computer vs. the iPad. If she didn't live eight hours north of me, I'd have no problem going to her or having her come to me and backing up and updating her iPad on one of my laptops on a regular basis. This ball-and-chain with a computer of some kind is really the only real problem with the iPad.

kevbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the new ios needs the ability to enable you to ditch the computer tether when you want to initialise, backup and upgrade firmware and sync media.

the time when the ipad can truly be stand alone will be awesome.

Agreed! I think this is rumored to be coming.

Just lack of file management ruins the experience!

I can accept they don't want to give access to system files, but users should be allowed to manage their own files.

Dropbox etc. can't be solution for this as all apps copy their own versions eating up storage space (and you can't add more storage)!

Actually iOS has all the features anyway. Problem is Apple crippled them intentionally in iPad. They fear if people start using iPad as replacement of laptops, their profits from Macbook will go down seriously.

Definitely agreed! Why should I have to resync my iPad just because I install a new app for PDF viewing? It can be annoying and it seems like it would limit the types of applications that can be built. It clearly draws a line of what can and can't be done, which I don't like. If you wanted to use Dreamweaver on an iPad, I don't think you could for this reason. Same for things like video encoding. I know it seems ambitious, but some day it will happen.

TonyIsSocial

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This seems like nothing compared to the valid suggestions on here, but, I'd really like some damn arrows on the keyboard... This is my first iOS device and it's a pain editing misspelled/misplaced words!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
TonyIsSocial said:
This seems like nothing compared to the valid suggestions on here, but, I'd really like some damn arrows on the keyboard... This is my first iOS device and it's a pain editing misspelled/misplaced words!

If you keep your finger on the screen a magnifying glass appears and you can move the cursor to where you want to start editing hope that helps

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you keep your finger on the screen a magnifying glass appears
That stupid little magnifying glass is the most ridiculous fiddly POS idea yet incorporated into just about any system I can think of. It is a total PITA to use.

As TonyIsSocial said in the post above (and as countless other people have said elsewhere) why on earth are there no arrows? There's plenty of room for them, and other apps (such as "writer") have them on their keyboards...

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DM51 said:
That stupid little magnifying glass is the most ridiculous fiddly POS idea yet incorporated into just about any system I can think of. It is a total PITA to use.

As TonyIsSocial said in the post above (and as countless other people have said elsewhere) why on earth are there no arrows? There's plenty of room for them, and other apps (such as "writer") have them on their keyboards...

Can't agree with you more, hopefully they will eventually add the cursor in an update in the future :)

Blackhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Flash...geeez, people. Still whipping that dead horse while it's in the grave, huh? Do you still clutch onto your ZIP drives and disks from the 90s, too? LET IT GO, fer cryin' out loud! There's more people to see, places to visit, things to do and worlds to conquer! There are several compelling reasons why Flash isn't -and never will be- on iOS devices. So, you either live with the iPad without Flash and not complain OR you get some other device and be happy you have Flash (feel free complain about how crappy that device is compared to the iPad, though).

Pssst: having no Flash isn't the end of civilization as we know it.

*rant off*

Amen

Most reactions

Latest posts