What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to get documents to and from Ipad2?

Smudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing an Ipad 2 in the near future. I have several documents saved on my PC which I would like to be able to transfer to the Ipad for editing and then back to the PC (and vice versa). I use MS Office on my PC. What is the best method to accomplish this? I have done some reading about programs like Google Docs and Dropbox and am wondering if this is the best method and how exactly this is done. Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

Tim

safllc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the app DocsToGo, which does all of those transfers easily.

OP
S

Smudge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So basically with both of these programs (Good Reader and Google Docs) I can sign into the site from any computer and access my MS Office documents, edit them and re save them back onto the respective program? Also, am I able to edit the documents while offline and upload them to google docs when I get to a wifi hotspot?

Last edited:

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smudge said:
I am planning on purchasing an Ipad 2 in the near future. I have several documents saved on my PC which I would like to be able to transfer to the Ipad for editing and then back to the PC (and vice versa). I use MS Office on my PC. What is the best method to accomplish this? I have done some reading about programs like Google Docs and Dropbox and am wondering if this is the best method and how exactly this is done. Thanks

Dropbox works for me since I need to access files through pc and iPad.

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dropbox works great. Also, Quick Office lets you 'see' the ipad as an external drive or network place thru wifi, so file transfers are easy.

This was my exact worry/requirement when I decided to buy a ipad, and that was just 2 days ago.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar need as the original poster did. I have a wifi only iPad. I have chosen not to connect my desktop to the Internet except once a week. I have an excel file I would like to use on my iPad. I want to transfer it via USB. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a spreadsheet app for the iPad that reads excel?

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar need as the original poster did. I have a wifi only iPad. I have chosen not to connect my desktop to the Internet except once a week. I have an excel file I would like to use on my iPad. I want to transfer it via USB. Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a spreadsheet app for the iPad that reads excel?

Tried only 2, and Quick office worked great for me. Don't know about USB, but transfers work great via internet or wifi.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deepakvrao said:
Tried only 2, and Quick office worked great for me. Don't know about USB, but transfers work great via internet or wifi.

Then problem with transferring with wifi is I can't get splashtop to recognize my computer.

rpaulsingh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am testing an app that allows me to view any of my PC or Mac Microsoft office files on an iPad and then allows me to sync it locally and email to anyone from iPad. Also I can do that on Google Docs too. If any of you are interested in being a beta customer reply to this post as this system doesn't let me post my email.

Most reactions

Latest posts