What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best stylus for painting?

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be why a small tipped stylus is so hard to find. From the FAQs on the oStylus page.

"Why not make the contact part smaller? It would be more accurate.
It seems like it would be more accurate but it won't work. We have made a lot of prototypes in a lot of sizes, different diameters, different hole openings, and ended up with what we think is the optimum. You can go slightly smaller if you have no hole. But with a hole big enough to fulfill the function of being able to see clearly through you need that outside diameter.
The problem with going smaller is that the touchscreen doesn't recognize the stylus as a finger tip, or it recognizes it some of the time and you get a broken line when drawing. The touchscreen engineers have programmed the screen to be ideally suited for a finger, not a piece of metal or foam. In a sense all the capacitive styluses out there are "cheating" or pretending to be a finger."

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the answer might lie in the iOS as well. Can't they program something to optimize for a finger and also the stylus

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doubledown said:
This may be why a small tipped stylus is so hard to find. From the FAQs on the oStylus page.

"Why not make the contact part smaller? It would be more accurate.
It seems like it would be more accurate but it won't work. We have made a lot of prototypes in a lot of sizes, different diameters, different hole openings, and ended up with what we think is the optimum. You can go slightly smaller if you have no hole. But with a hole big enough to fulfill the function of being able to see clearly through you need that outside diameter.
The problem with going smaller is that the touchscreen doesn't recognize the stylus as a finger tip, or it recognizes it some of the time and you get a broken line when drawing. The touchscreen engineers have programmed the screen to be ideally suited for a finger, not a piece of metal or foam. In a sense all the capacitive styluses out there are "cheating" or pretending to be a finger."

Thanks for that info. Just hope someone wall is another man quest to climb it.

Saying hope someone find away to make a tip work.

watchlabber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WatchLAB Studios, a leading market research firm is conducting paid 1-hour interviews for people who use creative or art applications on their mobile device. These interviews are taking place in San Francisco in the upcoming weeks.

If you reside in the SF/Bay Area and would like to participate, please email [email protected] with the specific names of all creative/art applications you currently use on your mobile device, as well as the best contact # and time to reach you. We’ll phone you within 24 hours to ask you a few additional qualifying questions.
Thank you for your interest!

Inpurple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. I have a fair collection of art apps and use a Griffin stylus. Not pencil thin, but thinner than a finger, slides smoothly over the screen and at least gives you the feeling of holding a brush. (Finger-painting just doesn't do it for me somehow). Portable creativity stuff was one of the major pulls for me in buying an iPad but there seems to be a way to go before we get near to the satisfaction of pressure and detail.

Last edited:
OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
My new box wave works fine. Nothing special tho. The pen is nice and a nice weight to hold, and the 'blobby' end is pretty responsive. Good all rounder. Run of the mill I supposed

My Nomad brush, now that's a dream. It really is a brush. Crappy for general use, but superb for brush painting stylee. I have a great water colour app which was made in heaven for it.

I've now ordered a cheap crappy thin pencil style stylus as another option. Will report back on that when i get it, and I'm hearing so much about people making their own. I must get around to trying this.

Inpurple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sjleworthy, I can't believe I read your post this morning re the Nomad brush. I hadn't heard of it but had made a note to look it up. This afternoon I received a gift from my son, who had ordered one for me from US. (Doesn't appear to be available the UK??). Just tried it with the Procreate app. Absolutely fantastic!!

LordStyphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
thanx for an interesting tread.
After reading Yours comment think I will try the Boxwave.
Did You know You now can buy it by Amazon UK

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/BoxWave-Capacitive-iPad-Stylus-Black/dp/B000BUI76S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306402648&sr=8-1"]BoxWave Stylus[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
(Doesn't appear to be available the UK??). Just tried it with the Procreate app. Absolutely fantastic!!

no. but you can order from the UK to the maker direct, from the official site, which is how i got mine. and yes, it's truly amazing isnt it.

LordS - i've just received this in the post (much cheapness) -

SGP Stylus Pen Kuel H10 Series - iPad 2 - iPad

it's got a smaller tip than the Boxwave's and the action is lovely. i much prefer this one now :)

littlebuddha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have bought a few stylus pens know over time and the one that hits the spot for me is th Alupen you can get it in a few colours i have the black one, it also comes with a real leather cover. some moan about it being thick, it is a little thicker than most but it fits my hand great it flows no need for heavy presure like some, no misses. I paid £20 from an apple outlet here in coventry. Brings new life to my art packages, this one is the stayer to me. Good quality well made and does a brill job.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Not yet, but it's on my birthday present list :)

I can't really image it to be any better/worse than a good existing stylus. They're all much of a muchness in essence. What we really need is a proper wacom style tablet/stylus. I'm sure we'll get there sooner or later.

minouge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. Im an illustrator studying at art center and as of right now I've been using the pogo, coupled with autodesk sketchbook pro. It's a pretty powerful combination(digital paintings are as good as the ones I've seen on a pc). However, the pogo is by far not the best option as a stylus. I did get used to it though, and am now using it comfortably :)

Most reactions

Latest posts