What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best stylus for painting?

LordStyphon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
I just the new iPad and have a Boxwave Stylus. This was allrigt for iPad 2, but using it on the new you have to push it harder to the screen.
Anyone have tryed a better stylus for the new iPad ?

Jyc23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used a boxwave stylus for awhile but eventually stopped using it because it required a lot of pressure just to even register with the touchscreen. On top of that, when it did register, moving it was a pain because there was so much friction between the tip and the screen.

I was sans-stylus for awhile until I found the iFaraday. The iFaraday is different from other styli / styluses in that its tip is made of woven fabric. This means that it basically slides effortlessly across the screen, which translates to a high level of responsiveness. Also, the iFaraday that I got is quite long, about 7 inches, which might seem too long, but (at least for me) is actually a good length, especially when using the iPad with an external keyboard -- you don't have to reach as far to interface with the screen.

There are some drawbacks to the iFaraday. One is that the tip is actually a bit on the large side. In fact, about a millimeter or so wider than the tip on the boxwave. But because the iFaraday is so sensitive, it's actually a lot easier to be more precise with it, despite the bigger tip. The other drawback is ... okay, I can't honestly think of another drawback.

You can get the iFaraday at the maker's website. You can find it by searching for iFaraday (I'm not allowed to post links yet because I'm new).

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane B said:
I've been surprised to this point no one recommended the Jot. Very small ballpoint type tip with disk. Best of all the styluses I've found. I do love mine--metal with metal screw on cap.

Can this be good for painting, as the OP asked?

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
caseenBrandon said:
Thanks Shae! I can't wait for your review on our product, and your artwork =). I know our VIBE is one of the best stylus around! :p

Link to the VIBE is here: VIBE Stylus | caseen

Wow, looks impressive! I'm not an artist but I went ahead and ordered a white one (to match my white iPad 3 :p). All I paid was $15!! Are you kidding me? That's cheaper than the last stylus I bought, which I got on sale. AND it comes with a free gift - a mini stylus... AND it's free shipping!!! I'm in no way affiliated with this company. I just browsed the site and saw what looks like a quality product for a really good price. And from what Shae is hinting at, it's an excellent product. Looking forward to your review also, Shae!

Check it out:

Attachments

• image-95986798.jpg
    image-95986798.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:

caseenBrandon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, looks impressive! I'm not an artist but I went ahead and ordered a white one (to match my white iPad 3 :p). All I paid was $15!! Are you kidding me? That's cheaper than the last stylus I bought, which I got on sale. AND it comes with a free gift - a mini stylus... AND it's free shipping!!! I'm in no way affiliated with this company. I just browsed the site and saw what looks like a quality product for a really good price. And from what Shae is hinting at, it's an excellent product. Looking forward to your review also, Shae!

Check it out:

Thanks for you order! :) I saw it... rushed it out, hand packed it, shipped it out for you :p Enjoy!

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
caseenBrandon said:
Thanks for you order! :) I saw it... rushed it out, hand packed it, shipped it out for you :p Enjoy!

Thank you Brandon! I'll be sure to post a review from a non-artist perspective once I receive it. Btw, the folio cases look nice! Any plans for a Designo series model with a hand strap?

caseenBrandon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Brandon! I'll be sure to post a review from a non-artist perspective once I receive it. Btw, the folio cases look nice! Any plans for a Designo series model with a hand strap?

All of our DESIGNO series cases have a hand strap!.. More coming soon!

Check the current ones:

caseen SKINNY Genuine Leather Stand Hand Strap Case (DESIGNO Series Black) for Apple iPad 3rd Generation

caseen Retro Pink Plaid Smart Case Cover Stand & Hand Strap for the New Apple iPad (3rd Generation)

http://www.caseen.com/caseen-Dark-B...-the-New-Apple-iPad-3rd-Generation_p_191.html

Thanks!

Last edited:

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive been busy for the last few days, but I just wanted to say that I've received my Caseen VIBE stylus and had a few days to test it out. In a nutshell, I am definitely impressed with the product! I ordered a white one to match my white iPad 3 late at night on 4/24. For $15, I got free shipping and a free mini stylus as a bonus gift. The order was processed and shipped out the next day and arrived in my mailbox on 4/28. Pretty good turnaround time for free shipping!

image-2143657134.jpg

The stylus came in a gift box, which was a nice touch. What I first noticed was that it was pretty light in weight, which actually works for this type of stylus. It felt pretty good and balanced in my hand. The tip is made out of a fine mesh material that's designed not to degrade over time. Writing on the screen of the iPad was super smooth, which is why I said that the light weight of the stylus works for this design. It's also pretty accurate compared to other styli, meaning I can point at the smallest icon or link on the screen pretty accurately. You don't need much pressure to engage the stylus - the traditional rubber stylus in comparison feels like rubbing the eraser end of a pencil on the screen. Smooth is definitely the operative word here as it glides effortlessly over the screen.

image-1399203818.jpg

Although I'm not an artist, I can see how this would work for drawing and sketching on the iPad. You can hold the stylus at different areas, low to high (like a paintbrush or a pen), and it functions beautifully at angles in the range of 20 degrees to more than 70 degrees. I tested writing on the apps Notability and Penultimate. Although not quite like writing with a pen on paper, it felt better and more precise than writing with a rubber tipped stylus. The only drawbacks I see with this product is the length may be a bit short for some people (a preference issue) and that the tip might be on the delicate side. It's made of mesh, so it might be prone to snags. I'd advise to refrain from exposing the tip to certain factors like storing it haphazardly in a backpack or in a pants pocket. It might be susceptible to picking up small debris like lint.

PROS:
Excellent quality for the low price
Free shipping with a nice bonus mini stylus
Don't need much pressure to register
Accurate, precise touch
Smooth, gliding feel over the screen
Multiple areas to hold, balanced design
Wide range of contact angles

CONS:
Delicate mesh tip, need to be a little careful you don't snag it or pick up debris
Length may be short for some people
Can't think of another one...

Some pics for comparison:

Attachments

• image-818632740.jpg
    image-818632740.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image-4209786809.jpg
    image-4209786809.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 306
  • image-3592567590.jpg
    image-3592567590.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 304

shae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
potsville.wordpress.com
I'd like to add my experience with Caseen's VIBE line...

Caseen VIBE Stylus Review from a Digital Painter

I have tested three models of Caseen's innovative VIBE stylus line; the original VIBE, the VIBE L, amd the VIBE Ink. All three rock, but my favorite is the L version, which is longer than the original. The extra length moves the pocket clip farther away from my hand, making it super comfy.

What makes the VIBE stylus excellent for me is the way it glides on the screen without requiring extra pressure. This is essential with my disabilities. I am able to paint much longer and with far less discomfort with the VIBE than with other models I have used, and I have tried most of them out there. The Nomad Brush is also good for gliding, but I find its tip lacks enough firmness for certain types of drawing and painting. The VIBE tip is a kind of mesh that slides easily on the screen, even when using a screen protector, without slipping out of control.

Because the VIBE head is round and protrudes from the housing farther than the typical stylus head does, it allows me to paint or draw at angles lower to the screen.

I particularly recommend the VIBE stylus line for anyone with painful hand conditions, fatigue, or other disabilities that often make writing painful, slow or difficult. I think you'll be as amazed as I have been at what a difference this technology can make.

I recently painted a portrait using the VIBE in the app ArtRage on my iPad 2. I have to commend Caseen for making a product that is excellent all around. I was able to perform a variety of strokes and blending techniques and apply great detail to the painting. I was able to paint for longer periods of time without the kind of painful cramping I had become accustomed to using other products. My only 'nit' with the original Caseen VIBE was the placement of the metal pocket clip, which tended to get in my way a bit. This was solved with the VIBE L version, which is longer as the 'L' suggests. The VIBE L has become my go to stylus for almost everything.

I still occasionally use my Nomad Brush for certain strokes and certain apps. I also enjoy the iPevo ChopStakes for browsing and general functions. They are convenient for pinching to zoom and for typing. Although you can use a single ChopStake for painting and drawing applications, I find the tip too 'grabby' and too much pressure is needed, so I always go back to my VIBE for my creative work.

The VIBE Ink, the newest to the line, is just as smooth as its predecessors, offering the convenience of a traditional ink pen in one end. This is certainly quite convenient, especially on the go (less to carry).

Caseen has impressed me greatly with their innovative design. I look forward to seeing what other cool products this company will offer in the future. If past performance truly is an indication of future results, I am sure I will not be disappointed!

Attachments

• image-636098094.jpg
    image-636098094.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 269
  • image-2646279313.jpg
    image-2646279313.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 278

Most reactions

Latest posts