What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

best stylus for painting?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not in the artist camp but I have to plot how school children will be using the thing. Loving the list so far, although I'm with the drafters in needing a finer point stylus then is out right now...

Holy cows, that video of the transparent custom pen. It's to bad the guy isn't looking to bring that to market. That's almost exactly what I/we need.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well it looks really easy to make your own. it basically 'holds-your-hand' through the construction process in that utube vid. i'll be having a go certainly.

Ya but I'd need about 32 to 35 of them out fit a classroom. 500+ to outfit a 1:1 iPad school. This is small scale manufacturing... and I'm crafts impaired :p.

shae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
potsville.wordpress.com
I am an artist, and I use the BoxWave and Nomad Brush. The work in my sig line was done with those (mostly the BoxWave, because the Nomad was a more recent acquisition) in the app ArtRage (so far that one is my fave for painting).

I wish there was a BoxWave with a finer point. The Nomad is a joy...I find it better for broader strokes than fine line, myself, which is why I use a combination of the two.

My work thus far was done on the original iPad - my iPad 2 is on order.

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
ok, another question -

i've ordered my Nomad for painting, and i've got my Boxwave for general use, but it has a rather cumbersome rubbery tip.

can anyone recommend a stylus with a fine tip for more precise and a detailed action?

Satori

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really.. Unless I'm missing something, such a product does not yet exist. For whatever reason, all the styli have rather blunt tips... Which is a frustration for all of us since precision is the name of the game for detail work (and no, zooming doesn't cut it)

Glad to hear good things about the nomad brush. Just the fact that the physical feel of the brush against the screen surface is different is enough reason to give it a try.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well Apple told us that we didn't need a stylus back with the iPhone... and it took a while for companies to stat making solutions for people wearing gloves. Now with the iPad a year old the arty people are really starting to grumble.

It's why the guy who was showing off the fine point custom stylus needs to get with a trust worthy marketer and get that that thing into production ASAP.

fmmrz5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real problem is that that design is inherently flimsy which is not really marketable. You would have to take really good care of the tip and well people just wont do that so manufactures are stuck.

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i see the one you all are talking about an the one that i got too have all fat tips i like the skinny one the video has .... if you draw the fat tips are not going to be good .... i have too look in to the skinny tips for drawing :)

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
also, if i want to request the ability in the future for stylus pressure and tilt sensitivity would this be in the software of the app, the iOS or in the stylus itself?

Last edited:

doubledown7d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the oStylus?
oStylus - Capacitive Drawing Stylus
The all metal design looks a little scary to be using on your screen. They said thin vinyl covers the part that touches the screen. The videos they show look pretty amazing for sketching and writing. It is pricey though, $37.50. If I were an artist I think I would check it out.

Awsome video of person sketching with the stylus
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDdQaW7pl4&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Last edited:

Brockly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doubledown said:
Has anyone checked out the oStylus?
oStylus - Capacitive Drawing Stylus
The all metal design looks a little scary to be using on your screen. They said thin vinyl covers the part that touches the screen. The videos they show look pretty amazing for sketching and writing. It is pricey though, $37.50. If I were an artist I think I would check it out.

Awsome video of person sketching with the stylus
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDdQaW7pl4&feature=player_detailpage

I don't like it ... I see the thing will get in my way of drawing .... I just want something with a small tip ... Just got in the mail the cheap-o depot pens off of eBay 2 for 6 bucks ... Don't like them at all to small 3/4 size of a pencil and you. Have to press hard to make it draw... It's like a rubber tip in a metal tube. So in time you will press to hard and pinch the tip right off. Don't like it at all I want a pen that has a small tip so it fell like you are really drawing :). If it out there I will find it. :) muhahahaha !!!!!! evil brockly will have his pen ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts