What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

soundsgoodtome

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been an informative thread, but one thing that was a bit frustrating as I read it is that people have been saying which they liked best, but they usually haven't been saying what they use it for. One's opinion of "Best Remote Desktop App" is likely to differ based on things like:

* are you trying to access a Windows machine, a Mac, or both?

* are you mostly using it for remote location access via the internet, or direct (computer-to-computer) access to a computer that is nearby?

and other things I'm sure!

My own desire is to use an ipad to control a Mac (that eliminates the RDP-based apps from contention), and while I may want to do remote computer access over the internet, 90% of my iPad control use will be within shouting distance of the Mac I'm controlling. The extra wrinkle is that I will sometimes be doing this where there will be no internet connection and no router.

From this perspective, does anyone have any particular recommendations (for or against)? I'm focusing on these at the moment:

VNC Pocket Office Pro, $7.99
RealVNC VNC Viewer, $9.99
iTap VNC $11.99
iTeleport $24.99

Probably what I'd most like to hear about are experiences doing things like dragging windows around, picking menu options, clicking little things like the minimize button, selecting text... I'm really interested in the the speed and accuracy of accomplishing these kinds of tasks, and whether this is something that really distinguishes any of these products from any others.

I'm also curious about how they work with a bluetooth keyboard, as I'd like to have the option to be able to use it with or without a physical keyboard. Again, I'll usually be using this within shouting distance of the actual computer... which means I could often actually pair the bluetooth keyboard with the Mac itself rather than with the iPad. That could address some shortcomings I've read about in using the BT keyboards on the iPad, but it only makes sense if the iPad image of the screen is updating fast enough to keep up with my typing on the host computer. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I sure wish I could download 24-hour trials of all of these!

all excellent points. my reply isn't going to be fully helpful, but it will thicken the plot:

before the ipad was introduced, i did an exhaustive search for a remote app for the iphone, and the winner, hands-down was "RemoteTap." (google it for the web site; as a newbie in this forum, i can't post a link.) its feature-set is absolutely amazing, and for $5 it's a steal.

now, the caveat:

there's no ipad version, yet. users have been begging for an ipad version, but the developers haven't been responding lately. we don't know why they've been silent, but the lack of updates is responsible for the lower rating now. (previously it was at 4.5 stars!)

of course it runs on the ipad, but only in the dumb 1x or 2x modes -- not at native resolution.

all this time, i've been holding out for what seemed like the inevitable update. but as time passes, i no longer know what to think. with my luck, i'll break down and buy iTeleport, only to have RemoteTap for ipad debut within days. this developer's attention to detail is unparalleled. but obviously we can't wait forever (hence my poking around in these forums, looking for possible alternatives).

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
before the ipad was introduced, i did an exhaustive search for a remote app for the iphone, and the winner, hands-down was "RemoteTap."
To be clear RemoteTap is not an RDP client and is not really meant for a windows machine. Even if it can work with a VNC host running on a Windows PC or server the Mac-only features would be wasted. (It doesn't seem to be marketed towards anything but macs.)

Just wanted to clarify that. I would be leery about lack of updates, and of course the fact that the iPad has been out for six months now and one would think it would be supported by now--ditto for retina support for iPhone 4. It's painful for me to have to use my iPhone for remote access now, after using my iPad.

Oh yea, if you are jailbroken you might try running it with FullForce, which tries to force apps into high res mode.

ocp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Without a doubt iTap is the best. I have tried a number of them as well.

Im a trader with a trading company and I run a few VNC servers for work. My company got me an ipad to see what use we could use for work. I think Real VNC viewer with Real VNC server is faster and smoother then iTap...in fact Iv tried most of the remote options and the VNC is so far the best in terms of quality of access. Though it lacks in some features others have.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Splashtop Remote is the best solution for flash video/audio, by far.

Not according to the app store reviews.

Which reviews? When I browsed them, Splashtop seemed to rank fair to middling in most reviews, but everyone seemed generally pelased with it's ability to stream music and video to the iPad, which not every remote app can do, apparently. I'm not what many would call a "power user" but I've been pleased with Splashtop, both in price ($1.99) and function.

GaurhothW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Wyse PocketCloud for my remote desktop needs. It has some extra keyboards with windows specific key combinations that aren't ordinarily possible (Ctrl+C, CAD, etc) along with a 'cursor' mode that lets you have more precise control over where clicks occur.

Unfortunately it's relatively pricey.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop Remote is the best solution for flash video/audio, by far.

Which reviews? When I browsed them, Splashtop seemed to rank fair to middling in most reviews, but everyone seemed generally pelased with it's ability to stream music and video to the iPad, which not every remote app can do, apparently. I'm not what many would call a "power user" but I've been pleased with Splashtop, both in price ($1.99) and function.

Splashtop sucks because it gets way too technical to set up to use it with 3G.
I am not even sure it can.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It's no more technical to set up than any app that can be reached outside your LAN. Forward ports done. It's actually very simple.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It really isn't. I'm so clueless that I didn't know it could work with 3G until this past Wednesday, when someone mentioned it in another thread. An hour later, I had it working and about 30 minutes of that was Googling how to do it.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It really isn't. I'm so clueless that I didn't know it could work with 3G until this past Wednesday, when someone mentioned it in another thread. An hour later, I had it working and about 30 minutes of that was Googling how to do it.

My point exactly.
How about an app that you don't have to research for thirty minutes to get it working?

With logmein I don't have to do that.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My point exactly.
How about an app that you don't have to research for thirty minutes to get it working?

With logmein I don't have to do that.

Um, yeah, I'm going to have to go with the app that cost 1/15th the price of LogMeIn but cost me 30 minutes of set-up time. Basically, I got almost 2 months of 3G access free with Splashtop.

Rainville

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Joined these forums so I could post a reply in this thread, which seemed like the best discussion online about remote desktop apps.
I have a use for an app like this for a reason that hasn't been mentioned yet: to play old turn based games!

I have Fallout 1 and 2 installed on my windows 7 pc. I want to run them on the ipad because if ANY games could tolerate lag/delay, it would be turn based RPGs!
But i can't decide which app to go for. From what i can tell, not all apps support audio as well as video. Based on reviews online, Splashtop and crazyremote pro seem like the best bet for this particular use.
Any suggestions of any other app?
Again, i realize these apps are not made for games but i think old, slow, turn based, click heavy games like Fallout might actually turn out decent!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts