What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote Desktop App

tse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm getting a 2011 iMac with an iPad 2 in a week for university next year. I want a remote desktop app but can't decide between iteleport, logmeinignition, and jump desktop. Here are my requirements:

No monthly fee
Must be compatible with the apple Bluetooth keyboard
Must work over wifi and 3G
Must be fast, Probably going to watch hulu on the iPad
Be mac and windows compatible
Be able to turn on my iMac from my iPad or wake it from sleep
Must have sound ~ I am aware jump only has sound in windows so is it possible to log in my bootcamp partition from my iPad in jump?

What I want it be able to do is give me the closest experience to a laptop as possible, so speed is important.

Also, a couple questions:

1. Is it possible to use a remote desktop app without having the iMac's screen on?

2. Is it possible to boot up/wake the iMac from sleep from the iPad over internet?

Thank you!

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I would absolutely recommend Splastop! $.99 and no monthly or annual subscription. Very fluent, quick and NO lag. Can be used on separate networks with a bit of configuration via your router being accessed by the stationary computer of choice. This supports Mac & Windows OS's. Hope this helps

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop for me too. Just can't be beat - and the remote access feature is a breeze.

No competition....

Tim

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Splashtop for me too. Just can't be beat - and the remote access feature is a breeze.

No competition....

Tim

Agreed NONE!!!

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried Splashtop and couldn't get it to work. I've been away from computers in the work place so long that I have lost what little knowledge I had which wasn't much. I used to be a pretty intuitive user, but now I need specific, step-by-step instructions.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like the idea of Splashtop.

However, I've never been able to figure out - how to login to a PC that's "sleeping"? If I have to log in, Splashtop will not connect to the computer.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

Marilyn

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi...if it helps I wrote a pretty detailed tutorial here about a month ago on configuring your router to work with splashtop on remote networks. A similar tutorial can be found on the spashtop website - but its easy and pretty much 100% relaiable unlike than the gmail login.

Also, get to your device settings and allowing your computer to wake on LAN (meaning network activity can bring the computer out of sleep mode.) In Windows 7 this is in the network card device settings. But on Mac...I'm not sure...may be in the power management settings?

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
extendedforecast said:
Hi...if it helps I wrote a pretty detailed tutorial here about a month ago on configuring your router to work with splashtop on remote networks. A similar tutorial can be found on the spashtop website - but its easy and pretty much 100% relaiable unlike than the gmail login.

Also, get to your device settings and allowing your computer to wake on LAN (meaning network activity can bring the computer out of sleep mode.) In Windows 7 this is in the network card device settings. But on Mac...I'm not sure...may be in the power management settings?

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

Where is your tutorial? I looked at the website, but did not find anything that applied to my router. It is a Cisco.

Reaction score
I tried Splashtop and couldn't get it to work. I've been away from computers in the work place so long that I have lost what little knowledge I had which wasn't much. I used to be a pretty intuitive user, but now I need specific, step-by-step instructions.

Do you have the desktop streamer on the desktop and app on the Ipad?
Are you trying to use it from home network of the desktop or away from home of it?
Just trying to find how far you got before getting stuck.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Are you trying to use it from home network of the desktop or away from home of it?

Support Our Troops!!

Make sure you go to splashtop's website and download the streamer to your Mac or PC. It is a painless process that is automatic if you have both apps downloaded, iPad and Mac/PC!

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

Not starting anything, but what are you in an iPad forum on a Failroid? Lol

Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Support Our Troops!!

Not starting anything, but what are you in an iPad forum on a Failroid? Lol

To annoy you .
It must have affected you some to make you jack a thread to ask.

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iforsakenu said:
Make sure you go to splashtop's website and download the streamer to your Mac or PC. It is a painless process that is automatic if you have both apps downloaded, iPad and Mac/PC!

I had both but iPad still could not find my computer. I have Norton and did everything I could think of to the firewall and still didn't work.

Reaction score
Are you using it on the home network or away?
If away you need a Gmail address.
On the desktop open the Splashtop, go into settings , click experimental features, put in your Gmail address and give it a password.
Do the same thing on the Ipad.
Please post back with the results.

Support Our Troops!!

Most reactions

Latest posts