What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Splashtop Remote requires a PC-side component, so is not for me.

I tried all of the RDP apps and for me iTap is by far the best. And I bought it over a year ago for my iPhone 3GS. It worked even better on my iPhone 4. To my surprise it not only worked on my iPad, it was actually optimized for it. So I think when you buy this app you know it will constantly be improved.

My main criteria for a remote app is one thing: speed. In that area iTap seems to do very well. I only play one Flash game, Farkle, and iTap handles it fine. Sound too.

Another criteria is that I do not want to be forced to run an RDP with a lower desktop resolution than on the PC I am controlling. This messes up my desktop layout. iTap lets me use a desktop size of up to 1920x1200, and it is still smooth (though I use 1600x1200, same as my pc).

Other things I like are the newly added bluetooth keyboard support, the shared clipboard, the multiple mouse modes, and its robust on-screen keyboard support. I have always like the classic zoom in to click mouse feature.

I am thinking of buying iTap VNC too, for the machines that do not have native RDP (grrrrr to MS for not including RDP in Vista/7 Home Premium, when it was in the last version of XP Media Center).

Michael

PADACS

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.padacs.com

I tried all of the RDP apps and for me iTap is by far the best. And I bought it over a year ago for my iPhone 3GS. It worked even better on my iPhone 4. To my surprise it not only worked on my iPad, it was actually optimized for it. So I think when you buy this app you know it will constantly be improved.

My main criteria for a remote app is one thing: speed. In that area iTap seems to do very well. I only play one Flash game, Farkle, and iTap handles it fine. Sound too.

Another criteria is that I do not want to be forced to run an RDP with a lower desktop resolution than on the PC I am controlling. This messes up my desktop layout. iTap lets me use a desktop size of up to 1920x1200, and it is still smooth (though I use 1600x1200, same as my pc).

Other things I like are the newly added bluetooth keyboard support, the shared clipboard, the multiple mouse modes, and its robust on-screen keyboard support. I have always like the classic zoom in to click mouse feature.

I am thinking of buying iTap VNC too, for the machines that do not have native RDP (grrrrr to MS for not including RDP in Vista/7 Home Premium, when it was in the last version of XP Media Center).

Michael

Without a doubt iTap is the best. I have tried a number of them as well.

ipadfan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop Remote

Splashtop Remote is the best solution for flash video/audio, by far.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
stormrage.bol.ucla.edu
Considering the price, TeamViewer is the best.
I also have the iTeleport for iPad, but their last update introduced a very annoying bug (shift key won't work some times, leading to wrong letters or wrong symbols). Otherwise this one is also pretty good.

Paka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone try one called Jump desktop?
I use Jump on both my iPad and iPhone and have been very happy with it. I love the keyboard layouts and performance has been good. I also like the VGA out with the Trackpad option enabled and a bluetooth keyboard connected which basically turns my iPad into a full functioning Windows laptop. Great app.

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi, I'm also searching the best remote app for ipad. My intension is to control a PC with TV out with my iPad. The problem with apps using RDP protocol is that they logged out the windowns user on the main PC when I connect with my iPad, so that I cannot see anything on the TV screen.
iTap RDP also has this behaviour?

anotherscott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This has been an informative thread, but one thing that was a bit frustrating as I read it is that people have been saying which they liked best, but they usually haven't been saying what they use it for. One's opinion of "Best Remote Desktop App" is likely to differ based on things like:

* are you trying to access a Windows machine, a Mac, or both?

* are you mostly using it for remote location access via the internet, or direct (computer-to-computer) access to a computer that is nearby?

and other things I'm sure!

My own desire is to use an ipad to control a Mac (that eliminates the RDP-based apps from contention), and while I may want to do remote computer access over the internet, 90% of my iPad control use will be within shouting distance of the Mac I'm controlling. The extra wrinkle is that I will sometimes be doing this where there will be no internet connection and no router.

From this perspective, does anyone have any particular recommendations (for or against)? I'm focusing on these at the moment:

VNC Pocket Office Pro, $7.99
RealVNC VNC Viewer, $9.99
iTap VNC $11.99
iTeleport $24.99

Probably what I'd most like to hear about are experiences doing things like dragging windows around, picking menu options, clicking little things like the minimize button, selecting text... I'm really interested in the the speed and accuracy of accomplishing these kinds of tasks, and whether this is something that really distinguishes any of these products from any others.

I'm also curious about how they work with a bluetooth keyboard, as I'd like to have the option to be able to use it with or without a physical keyboard. Again, I'll usually be using this within shouting distance of the actual computer... which means I could often actually pair the bluetooth keyboard with the Mac itself rather than with the iPad. That could address some shortcomings I've read about in using the BT keyboards on the iPad, but it only makes sense if the iPad image of the screen is updating fast enough to keep up with my typing on the host computer. Has anyone tried anything like this?

I sure wish I could download 24-hour trials of all of these!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm also searching the best remote app for ipad. My intension is to control a PC with TV out with my iPad. The problem with apps using RDP protocol is that they logged out the windowns user on the main PC when I connect with my iPad, so that I cannot see anything on the TV screen.
iTap RDP also has this behaviour?
Yes, at least on the machines into which I remote. I don't know how it would be if the TV was acting as a second monitor though. Is that how your TV is setup?

Michael

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, at least on the machines into which I remote. I don't know how it would be if the TV was acting as a second monitor though. Is that how your TV is setup?

Michael

No, TV is the first and only monitor of the PC I wanto to access via remote (on the same LAN). So I think I can leave the idea of using RDP for my application, maybe I could try iTap VNC. In this moment I'm using Real VNC viewer and it is very accurate in mouse click, drag & drop, double click, ecc.. but a little bit slow and unconfortable doing this operation.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, TV is the first and only monitor of the PC I wanto to access via remote (on the same LAN). So I think I can leave the idea of using RDP for my application, maybe I could try iTap VNC. In this moment I'm using Real VNC viewer and it is very accurate in mouse click, drag & drop, double click, ecc.. but a little bit slow and unconfortable doing this operation.
I assume you are wanting to look at this TV while you do all this.

If so I would suggest going a different route. There are apps that allow the iPad/iPhone to be used as a mouse and keyboard for a PC. This would be much faster than any remote app.

Here is one:
Mobile Mouse (Remote/Trackpad for the iPad) for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Michael

Michelangelo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I assume you are wanting to look at this TV while you do all this.

If so I would suggest going a different route. There are apps that allow the iPad/iPhone to be used as a mouse and keyboard for a PC. This would be much faster than any remote app.

Here is one:
Mobile Mouse (Remote/Trackpad for the iPad) for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Michael

I have tried solution like this, but it's too difficult reading file name and clicking on the small windows button from a distance of about 4 meters. I prefer to see the screen of controlled PC in front of me, on the iPad screen. Thank you however.

defard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend which app is best for my situation please?

I want to be able to use my ipad to access a web address on my mac, click a link and start to download files using my newsreader/ftp software.

Ive always got a lot of cad drawings etc to download but im rarely at my computer.

I will generally be using a 3g (or worse) connection to do this, so whilst my use is fairly simple I want something that handles timeouts fairly well!

Any ideas?

Most reactions

Latest posts