What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I wish splashtop would upgrade so that you can connect to your home pc through an alternate tethered/wireless network instead of just your home network. That defeats the purpose of remote desktopping when you are not at home.

Teamviewer works well through any wireless network and has mentioned its free. If Splashtop could get connecting through any wireless network right that would be my primary remote desktop app. Teamviewer will do for now.

You mean you want to be at work and connect to your PC at home? It can already do that, provided you have your Router correctly configured to forward the Splashtop ports to the PC. I access my home PC all the time from outside my wireless home network, and even over 3G.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really use SplashTop for video much though anymore. I find ZumoCast does a much better job. It's similar to Air Video I just happen to prefer ZumoCast.

What are you watching with Zumocast? It won't play iTunes files, Amazon files, or even some DVDs because of DRM - that eliminates pretty much everything I'd want to use it for. I'd love something that would buffer video, which is why I checked it out.
I wouldn't expect Amazon video on demand downloaded videos to play... they will only play on a registered device. Ditto for protected iTunes content. But zumocast most certainly plays iTunes content that is not protected... I am watching an iTunes University clip right now via Zumocast. I suppose if Apple can out with it would be OK... a la the Apple TV. Seems crazy I can stream protected content to my ATV but not to my iPad--two iOS devices.

Anway most video I play was ripped by myself, or stuff I have had for a while. Most current stuff is in mkv, mp4, etc. Yes, Zumocast plays.

As I said earlier if it something Zumocast can't play, I have Splashtop.

Michael

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mean you want to be at work and connect to your PC at home? It can already do that, provided you have your Router correctly configured to forward the Splashtop ports to the PC. I access my home PC all the time from outside my wireless home network, and even over 3G.

Ditto - I've accessed my home pc using a "borrowed" connection from who knows who in KY as well as 3G. Which is bad, since now some family members there want to add the desktop software to their machines so I can do tech support on thier computers from anywhere. :)

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ditto - I've accessed my home pc using a "borrowed" connection from who knows who in KY as well as 3G. Which is bad, since now some family members there want to add the desktop software to their machines so I can do tech support on thier computers from anywhere. :)
Lol!:D

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish splashtop would upgrade so that you can connect to your home pc through an alternate tethered/wireless network instead of just your home network. That defeats the purpose of remote desktopping when you are not at home.

Teamviewer works well through any wireless network and has mentioned its free. If Splashtop could get connecting through any wireless network right that would be my primary remote desktop app. Teamviewer will do for now.

I would be interested in how to set this up from an outside wireless connection. This is my first apple product, just purchased a few days ago so I still have a learning curve. If anyone feels that special urge in their heart to help the needy that would be greatly appreciated. :D:D:D

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would be interested in how to set this up from an outside wireless connection. This is my first apple product, just purchased a few days ago so I still have a learning curve. If anyone feels that special urge in their heart to help the needy that would be greatly appreciated.

What have you tried so far?

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Just edit your router to forward the ports that are in splashtops guide. It's really easy. After that you can use splashtop anywhere... It isn't as fast as when your on the same network but it's awesome compared to other apps....

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just edit your router to forward the ports that are in splashtops guide. It's really easy. After that you can use splashtop anywhere... It isn't as fast as when your on the same network but it's awesome compared to other apps....
Well not everyone has a static IP, so it often is far from that easy. And if you don't have a static IP, port forwarding is the easy part.

I would say before you even GET to forwarding ports, make sure you can make it to the public IP address of the router that is feeding the machine you want to access.

Michael

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well not everyone has a static IP, so it often is far from that easy. And if you don't have a static IP, port forwarding is the easy part.

I would say before you even GET to forwarding ports, make sure you can make it to the public IP address of the router that is feeding the machine you want to access.

Michael

I have suddenlink...no static IP. But as long as you don't reset your modem your ok.... It's not ideal but for the most part it works.... For the "casual user that doesn't bank on it working every time... Im ok with the $$$$ savings :D

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Most Routers have a way around Dynamic IP addresses. i use dyndns.org for instance. Free service that gives your router a domain name and the router can update the service when it detects an IP change.

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok so I need help with port forwarding. I have a static ip address but im not that computer literate. Where do I go from here. How do I edit my router to forward?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most Routers have a way around Dynamic IP addresses. i use dyndns.org for instance. Free service that gives your router a domain name and the router can update the service when it detects an IP change.
I have used that for years. Think it has been built into my DSL modem since '05 or so.

But Danny has a good point too... even many "dynamic" IPs don't change very often. In fact I just searched my email and I found I received messages from DynDNS each month for the last year that my (free) account would expire because it had no IP update in 30 days.

So I could have simply used my public IP address and not had to manually refresh DynDNS each month for a YEAR. I think it only made it worse because if I had missed one month I would have lost my account and had no remote access.

Michael

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok so I need help with port forwarding. I have a static ip address but im not that computer literate. Where do I go from here. How do I edit my router to forward?

Usually you just find the IP of your router and type it into your browser. It will pull up the router menu. Usually it has some generic password you can find in the manual for the router or with a google search. Then there should be a option for port forwarding just put in the ports to forward (they are in the splash top program running on your PC. When it asked where to forward it to just put in the IP of the computer you would like to control. Lastly just google what's my external ip on your computer then put that in your app on your iPad. It sounds complicated but just think of it like a map...external ip gets your iPad to your router...port forwarding directs your iPad to the computer you want to control.;):D

Dukins

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Usually you just find the IP of your router and type it into your browser. It will pull up the router menu. Usually it has some generic password you can find in the manual for the router or with a google search. Then there should be a option for port forwarding just put in the ports to forward (they are in the splash top program running on your PC. When it asked where to forward it to just put in the IP of the computer you would like to control. Lastly just google what's my external ip on your computer then put that in your app on your iPad. It sounds complicated but just think of it like a map...external ip gets your iPad to your router...port forwarding directs your iPad to the computer you want to control.;):D

Thanks. Ok now I get to the point where I connect using this method for about 5 seconds then it automatically says "lost connection, trying to reconnect, Splashtop Remote unable to connect." I click try again to no avail. Thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts