What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

battery drains twice as fast than usual/before

swangrit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the 1st gen iPad (wifi-only, 16gb model) and I've got it last February, so that would make it 1 year and 4 months old aka in usage. It's been used on a daily basis, mostly for surfing, reading the books or playing games (but nothing of high system requirements, more like plants vs zombies or angry birds). up until a few weeks(maybe a month or two at most) I've been charging it every other day since I use it quite often and even though it initally really lasted for cca 10hrs, I managed to drain the battery in 2,3 days max.

So, at this point, it really couldn't be at more than 250-300 charging sessions overall. But lately (the beforementioned month or so) the battery capacity has been really bad - it drains almost at a double rate than it did before. I realize that the battery has its expiration date, but this seems rather fast enough for it to exponentionally decrease its durability. I've been charging it in a different ways, since I bought it, sometimes I'd let the battery drain completely and then recharge, at times I'd recharge it when it was around 40-50-ish - no universal rule. But somehow I feel that it couldn't affect the battery life in a serious way.

Anyway, I just wanted to ask you guys (other owners of 1st gen iPad) is this normal behaviour? And is there some way to check the battery capacity, to see if it can be restored, maybe via restoring to factory settings or reinstalling the ios?

I'm running the 4.2.1 iOS version (which was the one installed when i bought it - i never upgraded it) and it's been jailbreaked for more than a year aka as soon as i learned my way around it.

sorry for the language/grammar issues, english is not my 1st language

many thanks in advance:eek:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad battery is designed to retain 80% of it's charge after 1000 charge cycles, so it is likely to be software based, or an genuine fault with the batter. Since it is past its warranty period however, you won't get it changed out for free!

4.2.1 is a VERY old version of IOS now. Since you are jailbroken, I am assuming you are updating tweaks / apps in Cydia? It could be one of those that is causing the device to drain since it may no longer be playing well with a 4.2.1 firmware.
Since 4.2.1 is so old, it's almost impossible to troubleshoot it any furher for you. You are best advised to backup your apps, etc. and restore the device. I would seriously consider 5.1.1 if I were you, but if you have SHSH Blobs for other versions, you ca try those. The very oldest IOS I would ever recommend running is 4.3.3 if you must remain on 4.x, but support for 4.x in apps is getting less and less every day...

Most reactions

Latest posts