What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad time to buy 4th gen iPad?

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in semi-urgent need of a new iPad - I've got some hardware and software that need reviewing before Sept 20th, and they don't work with my old iPad 1. There are currently refurbished 4th gen models in the Apple store and I was about to hit buy, however ...

... I'm concerned this is a bad time to be buying. I know there are rumours of a big announcement next week for the iPad 5. But not being a seasoned Apple watcher, I'm not sure exactly what to expect.

I need to get something very soon, so if the announcement is for a release date weeks or months down the line, then that's no good to me and I might as well jump now. So the first question is, is everyone expecting an imminent release, or merely the announcement of a concrete release date?

Second, does anyone know if the expectation is that this will lead to a price drop for the iPad 4, or will the 5th gen model come in at a higher price point? If it's the latter, I can happily buy now.

Third, I care very little about form factors like size and weight. Are there likely to be any display, memory or processor improvements to the new model? Again, if not, I can just get an iPad 4.

Cheers,
Matt

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Matt, I'm actually sort of in the same boat. I might be passing my iPad 2 down to my youngest daughter and that means I'd get something new. Honestly, the iPad 4 will be a great buy in the coming weeks due to the new model coming out. It's got a great processor and better hardware than the 2 or the 3. I'm pretty confident that it will be up to date and powerful enough for a long time. My plan is to get a refurbished 4th gen iPad. The pricing will be very favorable and I don't feel like I'm getting an old unit either. The new one may have some slight hardware upgrades but I doubt it will be anything ground breaking.

IMO, save the money and get the 4th gen model!

OP
M

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not bothered by not having the latest hardware. What worries me is that the price on refurbished 4th gen models might drop £40-60 when the 5th gen comes out so I could make a substantial saving by waiting a week.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, buy from somewhere like best buy that offers price matching if the price reduces after purchase

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
*bump*

Any other opinions?

Hi Matt - first, bumping a post in the same day is really BAD forum etiquette - no one here (unless they may work for Apple and is in charge of the release of the next iPad) will be able to answer your questions - you are obviously in a panic mode (for whatever reason which is not clearly explained) - if you need is to evaluate app software on an iPad more powerful than your iPad 1, then you need to simply bite the bullet and buy whatever model will NOW serve your purposes - WHAT hardware additions would drastically affect the performance of a 'refurbed' iPad 4 vs. the next release? As to the price differences, I don't know - just my 2 cents - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The general consensus of the more level headed bloggers is that the announcement next week will center around new iPhone models. It's unlikely that we will see a major update to the iPad. But it's only a week away, so if you can wait you might as well.

Another hint that the iPad is not due for immediate update, Best Buy and other big retailers are not offering discounts already; as they already are for iPhone 5 models. That suggests they also think it unlikely that there will be a new iPad next week. Hold in mind that they are also 'probably' guessing. Apple's pretty tight lipped about these things.

Only you can decide if waiting a week or month or two is worth the saving. At some point you've go to realize that the extra money is worth having the device now, when you need it, if you need it now, that is.

OP
M

mattdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Matt - first, bumping a post in the same day is really BAD forum etiquette - no one here (unless they may work for Apple and is in charge of the release of the next iPad) will be able to answer your questions - you are obviously in a panic mode (for whatever reason which is not clearly explained)

Sorry, obviously not familiar enough with the rules on this forums to know better.

The reason I'm in panic mode? Well, I'm a freelance game journalist, tasked with writing a review of a fairly comprehensive new hardware/software combo for the iOS platform for two sites with deadlines in late September, and since this thing needs a lot of testing before I actually sit down and write, that's not a lot of time. But it's not compatible with my current model so I need to upgrade. But games writing pays very badly, so if I make a panic buy now and the price drops, I've basically wasted my article fee. And because game writing pays very badly, I need to buy refurbished and they can vanish from stock without warning. Hope that explains things.

But thanks for the advice, everyone. Seems sensible to get on with it now.

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My advise for what it's worth is to wait a week if an announcement is pending nothing is lost, if nothing but silence buy what you can afford or borrow someone's that damn allow you to test the app.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm not bothered by not having the latest hardware. What worries me is that the price on refurbished 4th gen models might drop £40-60 when the 5th gen comes out so I could make a substantial saving by waiting a week.

Yeah, I hear ya but if you are getting close to having to make a purchase then I still say the 4th gen models are a good buy right now. Sure, eventually they'll be even less but a good buy is a good buy.

JarrodS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm seriously considering buying a refurb 4th gen, but the rumor is that the Air2 will be announced in three weeks (Oct 21?). How much of a discount are we likely to see at that time? It looks like in June Apple reduced the price on the 3rd and 4th gen refurbs - haha on their "limited time pricing" banner - so I don't have a feel for how much more room there might be for them to further lower the price three weeks from now. Hmmmm...

Last edited:

Most reactions