What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4th gen and iPad mini with Retina

ssjmec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this page so cheers :thumbs:

I have an iPad 4th gen and thinking about upgrading to Mini with retina. I really liked the portability of Mini, but given the time I purchased my iPad, I really cant choose the mini that time due to screen resolution and power. But now with rMini, I think I might consider it.

I tried to search about this comparison but everything that comes up is only either comparison between iPad 4 and Mini (no Retina) or iPad air and mini w Retina. So I have a few questions to those who had 4 and mini with retina:

1. I am aware that 4th gen and rmini has the same screen resolution, so with the smaller screensize of rMini, display should be the same if not better. But how about the color reproduction? I read somewhere that rMini, compared to Air, has a cooler tone. What about compared to 4th gen?

2. How about the graphics power? For example 3d games and what, is it more fluid on 4 or rmini?

How do their CPU and GPU's compare? Any other major differences? Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Sadly, the color reproduction on the rmini is the same as that in the mini. Not as faithful. However, I find that it doesn't bother me.
2) The r-mini is essentially the same as the Air, and both are about 2X the 4th Gen.

The retini mini is just a hair slower than the Air, since its clock is 1.3GHz and the Airs is 1.4GHz. The retina mini is way lighter than the 4. It has better wifi (mimo antennas) and the cellcular model as worldwide carrier support (it can run on many, many networks just by getting the right sim card). But honestly, other than a speed bump, it's not going to be hugely faster than the 4 Gen. I think the big thing is the weight savings compared to the 4th gen, with no loss in screen readability.

OP
S

ssjmec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Sadly, the color reproduction on the rmini is the same as that in the mini. Not as faithful. However, I find that it doesn't bother me.
2) The r-mini is essentially the same as the Air, and both are about 2X the 4th Gen.

The retini mini is just a hair slower than the Air, since its clock is 1.3GHz and the Airs is 1.4GHz. The retina mini is way lighter than the 4. It ha
s better wifi (mimo antennas) and the cellcular model as worldwide carrier support (it can run on many, many networks just by getting the right sim card). But honestly, other than a speed bump, it's not going to be hugely faster than the 4 Gen. I think the big thing is the weight savings compared to the 4th gen, with no loss in screen readability.

Thanks for replying. Im assuming you have both(?) if so, and knowing both devices by experience, would you upgrade to mini 2 from 4th gen if you were in my case? Is it worth? Or if I were to trade it, how much is acceptable or not too much?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Im assuming you have both(?) if so, and knowing both devices by experience, would you upgrade to mini 2 from 4th gen if you were in my case? Is it worth? Or if I were to trade it, how much is acceptable or not too much?

I upgraded because I strongly prefer the format of the mini 2 over that of the 4, but I cannot answer the question of what you should do. You gain weight savings and a bit of speed while keeping the retina screen. You have to decide if this is enough for you to part with YOUR money. You know best what you do and what you like and how having a smaller device will factor into your daily usage. I found that for me, I'd rather keep my old devices than give them away for nearly nothing. There are many ways to use tablets if one is creative enough to figure them out.

Frankie Williams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My husband bought a ipad 4 for me yesterday to replace the 1st generation. I am going to keep it and purchase a mini retina with 3G service as the latter had. I will carry it in my purse.

Most reactions