What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AT&T changing their plans

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i hate to say that why i stayed with the Wifi model and do not go the route of the 3g model for i knew in the back of my head that AT&T will pull this kind of a trick on the people who use there service ..

they did the same thing with the iphone also about the date package ..i use my date package mainly for driveing and walking around a place to get maps that about it ..i really think that spint comeing out with the everything plan for $.69.oo is going to start a new price war for plans ..just wait for a while and see if the plans rates do not drop down again ..

CigarMan82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad was due to ship from Apple on the 9th. I travel a lot for work, and have been checking every once in a while online at BestBuy.com. Well last night I checked, and boom, a local BB in the city I was in had the 32GB 3G in stock that I had on order with Apple. I headed over and picked it up, then today I read the news on the data plan switch so I immediately signed up for the unlimited plan.

Moral of the story, if your waiting on your iPad from Apple, keep checking the BestBuy website for stores in your area. I talked with a few other people in various other cities that have been finding them recently as well.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because of personal circumstance, I wanted ONLY a 3G iPad and ONLY the unlimited, no contract data plan as advertised. As much as I like this iPad, I would not have bought it had I known that AT&T would renege on the plan almost immediately.

didisinned

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because of personal circumstance, I wanted ONLY a 3G iPad and ONLY the unlimited, no contract data plan as advertised. As much as I like this iPad, I would not have bought it had I known that AT&T would renege on the plan almost immediately.

I agree.. I feel pretty tricked at this point. If you want to keep the unlimited plan, how the hell is this different than having an annual contract?!

I seriously thought apple would have made a contract not allowing AT&T in breaching their end of the deal.

I wonder, has anyone emailed Steve about their feelings on this? Messed up if they don't post this information on apple.com !

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing people should remember is that Jobs himself said that the popularity of the iPhone was more than any network could handle. The iPad was predicted to sell 3-5 million units the first year, but now could exceed 10 million. The market for smart phones and tablets is going up faster than can be supported. Considering the challenges involved, we are probably lucky to get off so cheap. On the bright side, they are practically giving away voice time.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I remember is that the 3G service unlimited was featured as a prime selling point of the iPad, and even thoughI can keep it for now, I don't trust AT&T to keep it much longer.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now you ATT folks know how we feel in Canada!

AT&T just pulled a Rofers/Bell/Telus move!

It's funny, we go from being the worst with iPad data plans to the best: ATT is $25 for 2GB, Rogers is $35 for 5GB. More than double for $10 more.

That being said, i find myself almost always connected to wifi so i really don't need all the data...

JoAnne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in!

Ok, this latest thing from AT&T had me buying the iPad 3G today. After thinking back and forth if I really need it I finally gave in because I wanted to be grandfathered in the Unlimited Plan. I'll think more later, hahaha. :D

asmny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grandfathered ???

How do you get "Grandfathered" with your current unlimited ipad plan?

sweet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The problem with the grandfathering is that you need to keep your unlimited data plan active to keep it. I only want it for when i go out of town like. 2-3 times a year.

packaok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thebudgetgeek.com
Posted on another thread:

My iPad, a 32GB 3G model, will be arriving on Wednesday of this week. Last night, we went ahead and ordered one for my wife as well, a 16GB 3G model, so that it, too, can be grandfathered into the unlimited plan. Again, I want to thank Apple and AT&T for doing right by the customer and not allowing the iPad shortage to prevent us from getting grandfathered in. The unlimited plan was one of the major reasons that we went for the 3G iPad instead of the wi-fi model and Verizon MiFi.

packaok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thebudgetgeek.com
The problem with the grandfathering is that you need to keep your unlimited data plan active to keep it. I only want it for when i go out of town like. 2-3 times a year.

For us, we plan to keep 3G activated permanently. My wife uses it for her business as a real estate appraiser. Often, she has no wifi connectivity in the rural parts of the counties that she works, so the 3G was the primary reason we chose the iPad. I'm just thankful that we get the unlimited plan.

Teacher's Pet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand that the data networks are really jammed up. However, this was an issue before the iPad craze and ATT decided to approach the release with the unlimited marketing method. I think they've done a poor job of handling the situation. I have a 3G and will be grandfathered in. But I think this is going to cost ATT in the long run.

I will be buying another iPad for my girlfriend very soon. Before there was no doubt I would go with another 3G and the unlimited plan. But now, Ill most likely go with another network and tether or use a mobile wifi device such as those offered by Sprint. I don't think I'm the only user who will be looking into other options besides AT&T because of the change, whereas before it wouldn't have been considered.

Most reactions

Latest posts