What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are you a mac or a windows user?

are you a mac or windows user

• I am a mac user

Votes: 203 25.3%
  • I am a windows user

Votes: 403 50.2%
  • I use both

Votes: 197 24.5%

• Total voters

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are most people in here Macintosh users or windows users? i am curious if apple managed to reach people with their iPAD device outside of the mac community. iOS does not count as a mac user. i am just trying to see how many windows users are in this forum and how well this device is adopted by people who are not familiar with macs.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You forgot one... Linux!

I only use Windows because my work has some proprietary software, but for the most part I use OpenSUSE Linux (dual boot with Vista) and Ubuntu on another PC and yet another PC with SCO Open Desktop UNIX somewhere in the house that has not been used in ages. Old computers are good for something!

The other reason I use Windows? To run iTunes since there is no Linux/UNIX equivalent to sync the iPod and iPad.

Last edited:

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to fall in line with what 1991-C4 posted. I am not married to any one operating system and I choose different ones for different systems. My desktop runs Windows 7, mainly to take full advantage of the hardware and to get my gaming fix in. I also have computers running Windows Home Server, Ubuntu, Vista 64, XP and an old laptop with Mandrake (not even around anymore I think). The only system I have never had a need for is OSX. I don't have a thing against it, but it doesn't fit any need that I have (doesn't keep me from wanting one to play with though). So, by majority of systems I went Windows ... lol.

Little Woman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been a windows user and still have to use it at work. This is my first Mac. I must say I am liking the Mac over windows. Runs faster in my opinion.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both here and occasionally slackware.
Find myself leaning more to the mac over time.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I added both to the poll as not many responses yet

I use Mac at home and windows at work I also have a dual boot Mac at home. Windows at home is only used for training and support ie iTunes etc mainly for this forum and iphone4 forums

OP
M

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok thank you for modyfing the poll. I wasn't sure how to do it. I have to say that it is quite interesting so far.... We have more windows iPad users than Mac users.

billbunton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, at home I run Win7 on a MacPro, and on a Sony laptop. I also run OSX on another MacPro, and on a MacBook Pro. For work I run Win7 on a laptop, XP on a desktop, and am frequently logged in to Linux, Solaris, AIX and HP/ux boxen.

I voted both :)

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been a Windows user for 15 yrs. I did mess around a little with Linux before it got so comlpicated but never owned an Apple device till my iPad. Not an iPhone, iPod, Mac, nothing. Macs seem different in that Apple is real controlling compared to Windows machines. But I suppose there's ways around that.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been a PC user since the Apple IIe. I bought the Macbook Pro because at the time it was the most powerful laptop. I run a CAD package that needs the power. I initially partitioned the Macpro to a minimum Mac and maximum Windows. I installed Vista and eventually gave up and went back to XP. In the process I re-formatted the drive to be half Mac and half Windows. I use the Mac side for iTunes and all photos and videos and the Windows side for everything else. I have to admit that being a PC user for all these years I do not find the Mac very intuitive especially in file organization.

That would probably be it but what has started the conversion process for me started with the iPhone. I was an avid Palm user but after waiting for the Palm Pre and being disappointed I broke down and bought an iPhone. I was very impressed with the sophistication of the UI. Apple really had something. The can find iPad is just a continuation of Apple choosing to develop a new way for people to interface with their devices. Hey, I'm now an Apple convert! I'm still stuck with the Windows side for business especially because my CAD package will never run on the MAC side. Slowly, I'm replacing PC programs with programs from Apple. I would give up MS Office if Apple ported iWorks. I actually think Apple would do well since it would allow people to go back and forth from the iPad. iWorks is just enough without all the baggage that I never use anyway with MS Office. Apple may found a way to break Microsoft's strangled-hold although I think Apple is after bigger game. They may have found the solution for the central home communication system. Apple TV, iPad and iPhone all using iOS.

Most reactions

Latest posts