What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have a Mac Mini?

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been wanting to add a PC to my home theater to compliment my Google TV...however then as I've been researching more I realized it could REPLACE my Google TV! Again, doing more research I find out Apple makes an AFFORDABLE computer called the Mac Mini that seems really nice! I saw some videos on youtube of people who hooked it up to their home theaters and I really like what they are doing with it.

Now I am also waiting for Windows 8 to come out of Beta...from what I've seen so far it seems VERY nice! I know I could get a decent PC running Windows 8 around the same price as the Mac Mini...probably with better specs too. However I'm not sure when it will be released.

Does anyone have a Mac Mini and could you tell me how powerful it is? How does it compare to a PC running Windows 7? Do you have a Mac Mini installed in your home theater?

Thanks!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I have a $2000 gaming PC running windows 7.
I have a current Mac Mini running OS X Lion.

The windows PC has been turned into a server and the Mac Mini has become my Main PC not only just for computer stuff but gaming as well. The current Mac Mini's have great graphics cards. There are two models of Mac Mini, I went with the higher end model just because I use it for gaming. I have the Mac Mini setup with dual 22inch flat screen monitors.

I don't see myself getting any windows PC's in the future...

You were asking about performance, You will not have any performance issues. Wont be able to find anything with same specs for same price and also this small of a form factor in a windows PC.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mikespe said:
I have been wanting to add a PC to my home theater to compliment my Google TV...however then as I've been researching more I realized it could REPLACE my Google TV! Again, doing more research I find out Apple makes an AFFORDABLE computer called the Mac Mini that seems really nice! I saw some videos on youtube of people who hooked it up to their home theaters and I really like what they are doing with it.

Now I am also waiting for Windows 8 to come out of Beta...from what I've seen so far it seems VERY nice! I know I could get a decent PC running Windows 8 around the same price as the Mac Mini...probably with better specs too. However I'm not sure when it will be released.

Does anyone have a Mac Mini and could you tell me how powerful it is? How does it compare to a PC running Windows 7? Do you have a Mac Mini installed in your home theater?

Thanks!

How would one use a Mac Mini?? Was never sure. Couldn't get any info on the Apple site.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Its just a small box that is a computer.

You can connect any monitor you want to use and use any USB keyboard/Mouse. Keyboard and mouse can even be a windows keyboard/mouse however I would highly recommend getting an apple magic mouse. If you think having a scroll wheel on a mouse is great you will love the magic mouse. It detects your fingers just like the iPad does on its screen. moving your finger up or down scrolls up or down, only you can also scroll left and right!!! Going back to previous websites is like flipping through pages in a book. plus there are two finger gestures for things like pulling up app launcher, widgets, or switching to a new desktop screen.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys...and I'm NOT counting out Windows 7 just yet. I think the Media Center is a great piece of software. But I am just comparing the 2 systems to see which one ill give me the options I need. However, through my research I am seeing many people saying the 2011 model of Mac Mini is a downgrade from the 2010. Saying that the removal of the Blueray disk player as well as the app Front Row really averages out the new Mac Mini. Plus in searching for price, I am seeing the 2010 models are still holding their value compared to the 2011...they are about the same price. This tells me the 2010 these complaints might be valid.

Your opinions?

Plus, looking a Windows 7, if I upgrade to Ultimate Windows 7 the Media Center has added options such as Netflix, Hulu, plus much more...I truly believe these systems are quite comparable in options as well as specs (of course it will depend on WHICH Windows machine I go with when it comes to hardware...

Thanks again!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a Mac Mini. It's a first generation Intel Core Duo and it can't even run Lion, but I love it! Check out my signature.

Sent from K48

SueG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 2010 mac mini upgraded to 8gb, dual boot with W7 HP hooked up to a 32in lcd.

I use either xbmc or vlc to view dvds films

both work fine.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikesTooLz said:
Its just a small box that is a computer.

You can connect any monitor you want to use and use any USB keyboard/Mouse. Keyboard and mouse can even be a windows keyboard/mouse however I would highly recommend getting an apple magic mouse. If you think having a scroll wheel on a mouse is great you will love the magic mouse. It detects your fingers just like the iPad does on its screen. moving your finger up or down scrolls up or down, only you can also scroll left and right!!! Going back to previous websites is like flipping through pages in a book. plus there are two finger gestures for things like pulling up app launcher, widgets, or switching to a new desktop screen.

Just now seeing this!!! Thanks!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

azone5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had two Mac Mini's and loved them. They do everything you want. They are full fledged computers. You use your own printer, keyboard and monitor. Just plug and go! I replaced my Windows PCs and have never regretted it.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I forgot about this thread...LOL! I ended up going with a Windows 7 Quad core machine for less money & more power. Plus based on all the research I did Windows Media Center is far superior in regards to live TV & recording/managing programs. I know many here will disagree since this is a pro Apple forum. But for ME Windows wins out! Thanks for all the input!

jthessin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently run my 2010 Mac mini, upgraded to 4GB Ram, to my Samsung 55" 240Hz LED TV.
Mini runs thru a pioneer VSX-1121 via HDMI. I get full surround sound on iTunes movies, I can go into 1080p mode at 24frames per second, and stream had content on Netflix. All in all I love it and will not go back to windows. I am able to play 3d first person shooters at 1080p resolution, although my frame rates lag down to around 25-35during large action/fast moving sections. Hope this helps

Most reactions

Latest posts