What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are you a mac or a windows user?

are you a mac or windows user

• I am a mac user

Votes: 203 25.3%
  • I am a windows user

Votes: 403 50.2%
  • I use both

Votes: 197 24.5%

• Total voters

hinke00

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alanfujii said:
I have been a PC user since the Apple IIe. I bought the Macbook Pro because at the time it was the most powerful laptop. I run a CAD package that needs the power. I initially partitioned the Macpro to a minimum Mac and maximum Windows. I installed Vista and eventually gave up and went back to XP. In the process I re-formatted the drive to be half Mac and half Windows. I use the Mac side for iTunes and all photos and videos and the Windows side for everything else. I have to admit that being a PC user for all these years I do not find the Mac very intuitive especially in file organization.

That would probably be it but what has started the conversion process for me started with the iPhone. I was an avid Palm user but after waiting for the Palm Pre and being disappointed I broke down and bought an iPhone. I was very impressed with the sophistication of the UI. Apple really had something. The can find iPad is just a continuation of Apple choosing to develop a new way for people to interface with their devices. Hey, I'm now an Apple convert! I'm still stuck with the Windows side for business especially because my CAD package will never run on the MAC side. Slowly, I'm replacing PC programs with programs from Apple. I would give up MS Office if Apple ported iWorks. I actually think Apple would do well since it would allow people to go back and forth from the iPad. iWorks is just enough without all the baggage that I never use anyway with MS Office. Apple may found a way to break Microsoft's strangled-hold although I think Apple is after bigger game. They may have found the solution for the central home communication system. Apple TV, iPad and iPhone all using iOS.

After i bought my Ipad, i recognised windows is a trashcan

esackbauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gonna change my windows infrastructure to apple next week ;-) thought about that the last couple of month and now finally made a decision. the macbook air with some external storage is enough for me .

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
esackbauer said:
gonna change my windows infrastructure to apple next week ;-) thought about that the last couple of month and now finally made a decision. the macbook air with some external storage is enough for me .

Nice choice, the MacBook Air is a lovely piece of kit.....I use Western Digital MyBook's and Passport's with mine and a Time Capsule, I'm going to run the ext HD's through the Time Capsule so that everything is wireless.

The Archangel

esackbauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Nice choice, the MacBook Air is a lovely piece of kit.....I use Western Digital MyBook's and Passport's with mine and a Time Capsule, I'm going to run the ext HD's through the Time Capsule so that everything is wireless.

The Archangel

quick one on time capsule : are harddrives in timecapsule and your mybook running all the time or only if adressed ?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Time Capsule HD's must switch off as I don't notice them, I won't know about the others until I try them out but I'll let you know as soon as I do.

The Archangel

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

The Archangel

Very nice. Enjoy!! I would love to get a new MacBook or Mac anything computer right now. Lucky to have my iPhone and iPad. One day...

Sent from my Pink Hearts Sparkly Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Snap. I've got the same as you but a MBA would be icing on the Apple Cake.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick one on time capsule : are harddrives in timecapsule and your mybook running all the time or only if adressed ?
The Time Capsule hard drives do spin down...but there is a caveat. The Mac's Spotlight feature is set to index all of the drives associated with that Mac. So if you don't exclude the Time Capsule from being indexed, when some applications are opened and/or files changed (including Time Machine backups) Spotlight will go about indexing them. So your Time Capsule hard drive can be spinning unnecessarily. If you're only using a Time Capsule for Time Machine backups (haven't partitioned the drive for other purposes) it's easy to exclude it from being indexed:

System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy > "+" (Add) "[name of] Time Capsule".

Note that only entering "Time Machine Backups" will not do it, you have to specifically add the Time Capsule Drive itself to prevent Spotlight from accessing it and causing it to spin up.

Just an FYI. :)

FWIW I use our 2TB Time Capsule for Time Machine backups on all of our Macs and it works flawlessly.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use an apple extreme, with a 1TB attached to it(USB), to do time machine backups(wirelessly), and have access to anything i have available on it.

apple doesn't allow this, but i found a workaround(kinda hack) for it to work.

esackbauer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
The Time Capsule hard drives do spin down...but there is a caveat. The Mac's Spotlight feature is set to index all of the drives associated with that Mac. So if you don't exclude the Time Capsule from being indexed, when some applications are opened and/or files changed (including Time Machine backups) Spotlight will go about indexing them. So your Time Capsule hard drive can be spinning unnecessarily. If you're only using a Time Capsule for Time Machine backups (haven't partitioned the drive for other purposes) it's easy to exclude it from being indexed:

Note that only entering "Time Machine Backups" will not do it, you have to specifically add the Time Capsule Drive itself to prevent Spotlight from accessing it and causing it to spin up.

FWIW I use our 2TB Time Capsule for Time Machine backups on all of our Macs and it works flawlessly.

good point , thanks for making this clear !

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:

Well yet again I've learned something new, thanks Rich.

The Archangel

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A windows user and will remain a windows user for foreseeable future...not because I don't want to try a mac but to spend such
Money on a mac is not possible for me.its a really expensive device . I guess I'll continue to upgrade my I pad when time comes and will use an android or windows mobile and a windows laptop.
Another reason is I love to experience all operating systems and don't like to confine myself to just one.

Most reactions

Latest posts