What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are you a mac or a windows user?

are you a mac or windows user

• I am a mac user

Votes: 203 25.3%
  • I am a windows user

Votes: 403 50.2%
  • I use both

Votes: 197 24.5%

• Total voters

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A windows user and will remain a windows user for foreseeable future...not because I don't want to try a mac but to spend such
Money on a mac is not possible for me.its a really expensive device . I guess I'll continue to upgrade my I pad when time comes and will use an android or windows mobile and a windows laptop.
Another reason is I love to experience all operating systems and don't like to confine myself to just one.
Understand the budget angle, but don't discount buying refurbished Apple products or from craigslist or ebay. A lot of folks get their first Apple computer used because they can find them in near perfect condition for a reasonable price. Apple products also hold their value better than almost anything else I can think of so when the day comes to "upgrade" you can often sell what you have for close to what you paid for it (depending on age and condition of course).

In my experience a majority of Apple owners take extremely good care of their Macs, iPods, etc. I've purchased used Macbooks and such that were pristine, not a scratch on them and the owner's kept everything right down to the original packaging including the protective plastic! I have a Macbook Air that I'll sell one of these days. It's had a full cover on it since day one and you'd be hard pressed to tell that it was ever used.

Although there are always updates and upgrades, a good used mac that's two or three years old (or even more) can still perform wonderfully and run most any of today's applications just fine . They are made so well that they can honestly last a lifetime.

Just a thought if it's the price that's holding you back.

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why would you sell the MBA. To replace with newer model or more powerful MacBook pro?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@richsadams
I understand perfectly...though I never tried a used product so far I guess that's the only way if I want a mac.but I guess I'll wait 1-2 years and will buy a MacBook air 11 inch base model .right now I'm pretty stocked with gadgets ...a dell windows 7 i5 model and an IPad and going to buy a smartphone (more like a camera phone )soon

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@richsadams
I understand perfectly...though I never tried a used product so far I guess that's the only way if I want a mac.but I guess I'll wait 1-2 years and will buy a MacBook air 11 inch base model .right now I'm pretty stocked with gadgets ...a dell windows 7 i5 model and an IPad and going to buy a smartphone (more like a camera phone )soon
Sounds good! I absolutely love my 11" Macbook Air. I picked up a laptop case with 15" HP inside the other day and thought I had lifted an anvil! :)

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A.K said:
@richsadams

Only time I would take a used product is if someone gave it to me or sold it to me for very cheap. Sometimes those refurbished models aren't that much difference in price than the new model. Might as well save your pennies and get the new items.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 using iPF

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
just curious any of u guys here using linux ubuntu? i recently partitioned my lap with windows 7 premium and ubuntu 11...ubuntu seems to be cool but entirely different from windows...
what is the general consensus here about linux?

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A.K said:
just curious any of u guys here using linux ubuntu? i recently partitioned my lap with windows 7 premium and ubuntu 11...ubuntu seems to be cool but entirely different from windows...

Does not seem like a viable operating system to me. I personally don't see the point of it.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and yes it is. I have the same setup for development purposes.

Ubuntu is a Linux "front end" and since it's based in Unix there are many similarities to the Apple OS. Some incarnation of it has been around since before Windows or Mac. There are millions of folks happily using Linux as their sole OS. They like the "freedom" of an open-source OS and there are a lot of free applications that are compatible with with Windows and Mac. It's certainly fun to learn new things...enjoy!

Last edited:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only time I would take a used product is if someone gave it to me or sold it to me for very cheap. Sometimes those refurbished models aren't that much difference in price than the new model. Might as well save your pennies and get the new items.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 using iPF
Makes sense, however some folks aren't as fortunate and pre-owned computers and other devices are a good option for them. Fortunately, as mentioned, used Apple products are generally a very good "investment" in our throw it away world. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw that...it's a terrific deal. I'd even consider switching from my 11" Macbook Air for the additional memory and faster processor, but I have the same size SSD, and that's probably my biggest challenge...keeping content to a minimum (although iTunes Match has really helped). Great buy for a lot of folks though!

Hmmm...link isn't working, but I'm sure folks wanting one will find it.

Last edited:

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
I have been using a Hackintosh at home for a couple of years now, but have purchased a MBP 13", iPhone 4 and iPad 2 this year. I have two self-build Windows PCs that hardly get used these days, and I plan to replace my Hackintosh with an iMac when I can afford to, and get a Mac Mini for general use in the home living room. Sadly, I have to use Windows every week day, as the company I work for builds Windows software, and I am their software testing coordinator ;)

Most reactions