What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps/Icons becoming invisible?

bludin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I have an iPad2 that I sync with iTunes (Win). Recently, I have "lost" several apps, or rather, they seem to have become invisble. When I go to the app store, it tells me, they are installed. When I got to the Apps section in iTunes, I can check/uncheck or drag them to a screen preview and when I hit Apply, iTunes say it installs/removes the respective applications. But but they never becomes visible on the iPad (although are shown in the screen preview in iTunes) :confused:

What am I doing wrong?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check under Settings >> General >> Restrictions and make sure you don't have any age limitations set. If you turn restricitons on, be sure you remember the 4 digit code. It isn't easy to undo otherwise.

And it never hurts to restart the iPad. Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, and slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

It's also possible the app is hiding on some screen or in a folder. To make sure it is avaialbe tap on the home button twice, a few seconds appart. That should put you on the search screen. Now type the apps name into the search field. It shoul find it. This won't tell you where the app is, but you will know it's on the iPad somewhere, and you can launch it from the search screen until you find the pesky thing.

OP
B

bludin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check under Settings >> General >> Restrictions and make sure you don't have any age limitations set...
Bingo! That was it.
I had recently set an age limitation before letting my boys use the iPad unattended. It never occured to me that this would simply hide the affected apps (also from the search function). I wrongly assumed that one would simply have to enter the code to start a protected app.

Thanks for your help.
Beat

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check under Settings >> General >> Restrictions and make sure you don't have any age limitations set. If you turn restricitons on, be sure you remember the 4 digit code. It isn't easy to undo otherwise.

And it never hurts to restart the iPad. Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears, and slide it off. After the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

It's also possible the app is hiding on some screen or in a folder. To make sure it is avaialbe tap on the home button twice, a few seconds appart. That should put you on the search screen. Now type the apps name into the search field. It shoul find it. This won't tell you where the app is, but you will know it's on the iPad somewhere, and you can launch it from the search screen until you find the pesky thing.

Is there anything you don't know, Poet?:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I keep trying to persuade him to write a book on all the advice he gives members - there's a wealth of it in all the posts he's done. It would be a best seller 'A poet's guide to the iPad'

Tim

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's time to set up a new rank for people like twerppoet.
It should be iPad Super Master for those with 2500+ productive posts.
twerppoet started posting 1 month after me, It is not fair we have the same rank.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think it's time to set up a new rank for people like twerppoet.
It should be iPad Super Master for those with 2500+ productive posts.
twerppoet started posting 1 month after me, It is not fair we have the same rank.

Ahh, but I'm almost sure you have other important things to do with your day than rack up posts. :)

You may not post as often, but I appreciate your contributions immensely. We disagree on a few things, and while that may irritate me now and then, it's good for me. It keeps me honest, and reminds me that there are other ways of doing things. :confused:

As for ranks, well, I'd just as soon not have more reputation to live up to. People already seem to be getting the idea I can fix anything, when the reality is I just keep my mouth shut (most of the time) when I can't think of anything helpful to suggest.

Most reactions

Latest posts