What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If i sync i will lose all my data !!!!!

crazyhorse1217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Y hard drive failed, so I reinstalled the OS and iTunes.
Connect my iPad to the pc fine, transfer purchases into iTunes, fine. When I click on the iPad in the left column, the tabs appear as normal.
The problem starts now.... I click the apps tab and the screen displaying my iPad screen is faded and inaccessible. Nthere is no tick in the sync apps.
When I put a tick in the sync apps box, iTunes gives me a warning saying. Are you sure you want to sync apps? All existing apps and their data on the iPad "kev's.ipad" will be replaced with apps from this iTunes library.
It then gives me 2 options of sync apps or cancel.
If I press the sync apps all apps except the standard apps are shown on the iTunes iPad screen and none of my currently installed apps have ticks against them in the left hand edge.
Now, my question is, firstly, is this the way it should be? Secondly, if I place a tick on the apps that I already have installed, will this do a fresh install and replace all the data that is associated with these apps?
I have made many in app purchases, got to certain levels in games and I am afraid that I will have to start from scratch again....
Can anybody help me with this please?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is usually hit or miss as to how well you can get a new iTunes matching up with the iPad. Unfortunately, I don't know why Apple never thought of this...

Anyway, try this. With your iPad connected to the PC/iTunes, right click on it's line in the left column. A pop-up window should appear so you can select "transfer purchases." This should move everything off the iPad into iTunes and hopefully update iTunes with your app data. I'd run that transfer a couple of times. After that, you should see check marks in iTunes because it has synced with your iPad.

That's the only way I know of to get data from the iPad to iTunes (as it's set up to go the opposite). Hopefully, that will take care of it so you won't lose your app data. Or, hopefully someone else will be along to tell you some more hints.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
crazyhorse1217

crazyhorse1217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Marilyn, I originally did the right click, transfer purchases once, but it is as above. If I do it another time, do you think that it would sync it as it is?

OP
crazyhorse1217

crazyhorse1217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to solve this issue.
I backed up the ipad first(just in ccase). I then transferred all the apps to iTunes, ticked sync apps, I then put ticks in all the apps that I had on my iPad originally. Clicked apply and it did it without losing any data :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back in time, but...

Yay!

I'm glad your problem's fixed, although I was of no help.

Marilyn

OP
crazyhorse1217

crazyhorse1217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Sorry I didn't get back in time, but...

Yay!

I'm glad your problem's fixed, although I was of no help.

Marilyn

:) don't worry about it....lol

Clean Dawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having an issue like your's of last Sept. How did you create a backup of your iPad before doing attempting the "transfer purchases" on iTunes? Thanks in advance for your response.

Most reactions

Latest posts