What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought an Apple TV. As I type this, live video from the Brooks Falls brown bear webcam is playing across the room on my 50" Panasonic plasma TV, from a background browser tab on this iPad through the Apple TV. Pretty flexible.

Of course, there are also YouTube, media on my Mac's iTunes, PBS, and some free cable-type content, none of which require the iPad for access. The little box easily pairs with my Mac's Bluetooth keyboard for searching. It just works, as you would expect.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're on a winner with your Apple TV Lanny....there's just so much it can do....

I really should use ours more, that is if I can wrangle it from my daughters! :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know whether you have Apple's Remote app, Lanny. Works a treat for using your iPad/iPhone to control AppleTV.

The AppleTV also outputs 5.1 to an AV amp, so you can run your amp in Direct mode. Tested mine on the soundtrack to Enders Game. Quite impressive.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And Air Play--I use it for so much. I find using it with music apps (subscription and free) for streaming through Sound Bar is neat. Listen to NPR radio too using my Iphone or Ipad as my 'radio' through ATV. Mirroring is also useful at times. I agree on using the ATV app--sure makes searching easier.

Columbine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! The icon for Airplay disappeared. I've tried everything I know.

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Apple TV just sits on a shelf in our bedroom collecting dust. We'll use it every now and then to watch NetFlix in bed, but for the most part, it's never used. I don't even know when it was updated last. I should probably do that this week...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I fail to see how this device is any different than a PS3, a Roku box, or even a blu ray player with streaming options. This show selections are very similar and all of the mentioned devices do about the same thing. If you don't own a device then Apple TV is a good choice but if already have a PS3 or whatever else I don't see what it's benefit would be.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple TV does one thing the others can't: stream music and video via AirPlay from your iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Mac, including screen mirroring. There are lots of video sources on the Internet that aren't on any of those boxes' supported channels. You might prefer to watch them on your TV screen, with stereo sound, rather than on your iOS device. Especially if you're sharing the video with other people.

Yes, you can also do this with the Apple HDMI adapter and a long cable. I decided it was worth the extra money not to fuss with the cable.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple TV does one thing the others can't: stream music and video via AirPlay from your iPhone, iPod, iPad, or Mac, including screen mirroring. There are lots of video sources on the Internet that aren't on any of those boxes' supported channels. You might prefer to watch them on your TV screen, with stereo sound, rather than on your iOS device. Especially if you're sharing the video with other people.

Yes, you can also do this with the Apple HDMI adapter and a long cable. I decided it was worth the extra money not to fuss with the cable.

Got it. That is a nice addition then. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts