What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I play my iPad movies on my 42" plasma tv

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
What do I need (cabling/software/etc.) to play my iPad movies on my 42" plasma tv? I have composite, component, S-video, and HDMI inputs on my tv, but none of those outputs appear (as far as I know)on the iPad. Assuming no other devices are needed, or other software that would cost me an arm and a leg, are adapters available to interface the iPad to any of these cable types?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the same thing.

I recently got an Apple tv. It streams from any iTunes enabled computer in your account. Apparently AirPlay is supposed to do that from the iPad but I haven't done the OS update yet because my host computer is, alas, still in some remote repair shop.

I've read through this forum that AirPlay is not up to snuff yet?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No way to do it unless you buy a VGA to HDMI converter box since your TV doesn't have a VGA input. You cant buy the cheap VGA-->HDMI cables, you have to have the converter box, which runs about $100, plus the cost of the VGA out for iPad, and the VGA and HDMI cables. At that point you might be better off spending the extra money and getting a permanent component that connects to your HDTV and network to stream video. Plenty of devices out there for $200 or less.

Well, let me rephrase that, it's possible, you can use the Apple component cable, but the specs on Apple's site say it's limited to 480p which is just DVD quality, not HD.

Last edited:
OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Oops, I forgot, I think the TV has a VGA input too. I used it years ago to display a laptop output. After thinking about it, I suppose I don't even need to use the iPad... I guess I was trying to further justify the iPad. Silly me...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have VGA you can buy the output adapter and a cheap VGA cable and it will work fine, but if you really don't need it I wouldn't waste the money.

Carnut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple component video kit works just fine. A jailbroken 3.2.2 unit displays all functions of ipad, like mirroring on your Imac.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I second the component video kit. It's $40 and will do exactly what he is wanting to do. It even has a USB connector that lets you keep the iPad powered when using it for video or whatnot.

Now while being jailbroken does indeed increase the number of things you can do with the component output, for just watching a movie you don't need to be jailbroken.

Michael

Bonadea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(new here, hello)

Would this let you show apps on the tv as well (such as angry birds)?

I have bed bound clients who enjoy seeing what the ipad has to offer, but it gets real hard holding it and trying to work it at the same time. It would be great to use it regular, but have it show up on the tv for them.

rwsjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mirroring the iPad onto your HD TV screen

Re: Mirroring on the iPad and iPad2
Mirroring: As I understand it, mirroring when connected to a TV or Monitor such that the iPad screen is displayed onto the TV/Monitor, extending your iPad to the BIG Screeen, play movies, surf the net, play games,....

From the apple site, it states the new HD adapter allows mirroring only for the iPad2, this is one thing that I would love to be able to do on my original iPad. My co-worker has a jail broken iPad original and he is able to mirror to his TV wirelessly, meaning this limit is not a hardware issue. Does anyone know of any apps or work-arounds to add mirroring to the original iPad?

Thanks
Bob

Read more: Comments on: Ask Maggie: On iPad 2 vs. the original iPad

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Easy answer, jailbrake ur ipad, then get free "displayout" app from Cydia store. Mirrors ipad screen exactly. Whatever on ipad screen, is mirrored to your plasma. Works with vga, component, composite, and hopefully the new DV cable coming out. Stock ipad functionalty use of cables sux. Displayout app solved all my problems n wrks fine.

Last edited:

Carnut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak plus TVout2 works like a charm with my apple component video kit.
Mirroring of all on screen.

Last edited:

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that is the way I am going to do it, can't really drop more money on the new ipad2 so just JB and I am getting cable to watch movies and play games on HDTV. It is a lot cheaper then a new ipad lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a FYI that I found out last night, the only way to get true HD quality playback is thru the component cable. The one that has the red, blue, green, and audio plugs. Apple says the others, VGA and composite(yellow video and 2 audio plugs) give a slighted lower quality output. I have the composite cables and the picture is just fine. I just wanted to mention this since I know ur plasma is HD quality and u might want the best output picture possible from the iPad. If having the highest quality matters to u, u can double check on the apple site on descriptions of each cable. Or actually, I read it in the users manual thru my iBooks, if I remember correctly. Good luck n let us know how it went.

Most reactions