What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple TV or Roku Box?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
In trying to save some monthly bills, I have started cutting back on some expenses. This has included dropping the Premium channels I had with Cable and it has, so far, cut my bills by $75/month. I have gotten the NetFlix $10 plan for DVDs (for now) and streaming, upped my internet speed to the fastest available ($10/month) and have been testing it out this week and weekend. So far, I have not had any issues with NetFlix on either my PC hooked up to my TV or using my iPad.

I am looking at adding either the AppleTV box ($99) or the Roku box ($99) and am hoping someone has some input on either or both. I hooked my laptop to my TV this weekend and did some testing with netflix as well as iTunes and the Remote app on the iPad and both worked really well.

My biggest issue is my main TV is full 1080 HD and the Apple is only 720 HD whereas the Roku goes up to the 1080.

Any thoughts would really be helpful.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt that you will find too much 1080p content. I have the AppleTV and I think it has lots of promise. With iOS 4.2, it should be even better. I know nothing about the Roku.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with the Apple TV, but am currently using the Logitech Revue (Google TV) have you thought about one of those?

Check out Google TV Forums for more information.

OP
deckyon

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Except GoogleTV just got blocked from streaming Viacom content. Pretty big chunk of material. I also haven't seen any GoogleTV box for less than $150. I will admint, I havent looked hard.

How is the AppleTV Streaming quality for Netflix?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I had this same decision two days ago and ended up ordering a roku box.
Apple says it themselves that the apple tv is just their hobby and there not really all that serious about it.

Roku box has a ton of online content and with an sdk for 3rd parties to add their own content there should be more and more as time goes on.

Also apple tv only allows rentals while roku allows you to purchase videos via amazon and watch them instantly when ever you want.

I'm not expecting to steam much 1080p content but with roku at least it's supported.

High end roku box has USB port for playing media off of USB storage devices while apple tv has a USB port that is only for service/support.

High end roku box has built in dual band 802.11n meaning you will have a much more speedy connection from the box to your router (Internet speeds is something else)

High end roku box has both composite and hdmi outputs.

Basically the only thing that apples apple tv had in it's favor is that #1 it's an apple product
#2 it will support airplay, however since they are opening airplay to 3rd parties is not out of the question that roku could gain airplay down the road as a software update.
#3 integration with other apple products. Example: iPhone and iPad and be used as your tv remote.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was looking at the Roku setup also as a way to save money also the Roku programing set up seam to have the best channel line up that i like to watch ..for i have looked at the diff tv channel line up and i like the fact that you can watch diff channels of tv from the major networks on them

plus given the fact that you can run the cable saight from the cable modem without a computer connection is a big plus in my book

like MikesTooLz said in his post ..i really do not want the shopping channels or the kids channels i would like to pick up the channels i want and watch and that about it ..

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
In the future it will probably all be like this and the cable companies will be left to only provide Internet.

Tv companies get payed directly by the customers and we the customers only pay for the paid channels that we want to pay for.

Rcairncross76

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would go for the apple tv. Mainly because of airplay. Also it has so much potential with apps. Also have you seen on gizmodo about streaming apps from your iPad? It looks brilliant.

bogiesmom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my roku for about 6 months and love it. I was like you trying to cut out some expenses. I've used Netflix almost exclusively though there are a nice selection of channels to choose from - including Hulu Plus. There are sooooo many TV series that I've not seen and now I can with a push of a button. The movie selection is great as well. It has been a wonderful purchase and don't regret the choice at all.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went with roku. one reason was the price - i got the older xr for $65 from woot. other reason was more options for connections. i can move this to any tv in the house without problem.

roygpa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had Roku for almost a year and like it.

Roy

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought a Roku box online today so I haven`t used it yet.

I was weighing the same option you are and decided against the Apple TV (Airplay almost won me over).

I decided on Roku due to the content, mainly Apple TV won`t stream Hulu and Roku will.

I`ve had a Mac Mini running Plex on the flat screen in my bedroom for awhile now and want the same experience in the family room with less hardware investment.

Once I get the wife used to internet TV I`ll talk her into canceling the satellite subscription.

:)

Most reactions

Latest posts