What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Store 3G Reservation Policy

rmcsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It took 12 days for my in-store reservation to come in. Was told 2-3 days 7 at most. In the end waited it out and it came in. It was worth the wait but not the annoyance of how the system works. We should know where on the list we are.

Agreed! I haven't bothered to call and ask what the expected wait is because either they don't know or just won't say. The system is very frustrating; I don't understand why we cannot just visit a page on the apple site that with information such as "There are X reservations ahead of yours, we anticipate your iPad to be available in X days".

Also, based on the couple of posters who received their e-mails in the morning, I would surmise that is when a days reservations get filled, therefore by afternoon it's probably safe to say it won't be in that day.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rmcsteve said:
Also, based on the couple of posters who received their e-mails in the morning, I would surmise that is when a days reservations get filled, therefore by afternoon it's probably safe to say it won't be in that day.

As another data point, my e-mail notice came at 9:40 a.m., so that sounds about right.

Crimguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the email yesterday (5/18). Reserved on 5/2. I don't have the money. Of course I'm a financial dullard and will get it anyway this morning ;-D

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Agreed! I haven't bothered to call and ask what the expected wait is because either they don't know or just won't say. The system is very frustrating; I don't understand why we cannot just visit a page on the apple site that with information such as "There are X reservations ahead of yours, we anticipate your iPad to be available in X days".

I asked that very question to multiple sails associates and they said it would be too difficult to do. I guess we're you're expecting far too much from one of the companies that revolutionized the entire world over the past 30 years, lol.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After reading these posts, it appears to be quicker to order from Apple.com. I ordered my daughter's iPad May 1 and received it May 11.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
After reading these posts, it appears to be quicker to order from Apple.com. I ordered my daughter's iPad May 1 and received it May 11.

Yes, that is the case. Sadly, most in-store sales associates seem to be talking out of their asses and telling people that the wait is anywhere from 2-5 days when reserving with them. I have no doubt that if I would have ordered mine online on 05/07 it would be here by now, as the estimates on Apple.com were 5-7 business days...

cabinets

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fwiw, they absolutely CAN check where you are in line at the store. They did for me many times although most employees said they had no way to do so. I just called back later and got a more helpful person. One time they looked it up while I was at the store and showed me I was fourth in line. It arrived two days later.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
Fwiw, they absolutely CAN check where you are in line at the store. They did for me many times although most employees said they had no way to do so. I just called back later and got a more helpful person. One time they looked it up while I was at the store and showed me I was fourth in line. It arrived two days later.

I can confirm this, they can log in to the reservation website and look up your name. I watched a sales associate look my name up on Saturday.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They couldn't at my store. And even
called the customer service at the general 800 line and spoke to a manager and he said it's all automated. Maybe dif stores can idk. Also as a side note they are still telling people best way is in store because the more reservations they get the more ipads theyget.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
They couldn't at my store. And even
called the customer service at the general 800 line and spoke to a manager and he said it's all automated. Maybe dif stores can idk. Also as a side note they are still telling people best way is in store because the more reservations they get the more ipads theyget.

If they are telling you they can't check your status at your store, they are lying to your face. It is integrated into the apple.com website and has nothing to do with the store other than their information is entered into the "location" in the database. When they check, they are simply going to reserve.apple.com and entering in their Apple credentials, they can view the entire waiting list or they can search by your name or iTunes email address.

I know this because I watched her type my name in (slowly because I had to spell it out for her), and the address bar said "reserve.apple.com"... and I asked why they don't allow you to know your place in line when you log in to the website she said "good question, I don't know." I quipped, "because it would make too much sense" and she laughed. To reserve an iPad from the Apple website you have to be in the store (on the store subnet) to get full access, I imagine the same goes for them logging in and checking your reservation status.

racrac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
List

I reserved a 32GB wifi+3G Ipad on Tuesday (18th May) and have to travel for 3 months starting next Thursday (27th). I really hope I get it by then!!!

I just called the Houston Galleria store to ask about where I am on the waitlist and he said they cannot check. Even told them that people have been able to find out earlier but he refused outright!!

It is frustrating - there is a thriving black market for Ipads on Craigslist with $100 -$150 premiums just because Apple cannot get its house in order.

For the people who got their Ipads - did they have to take a print of the email and carry ID?? I am thinking what would happen if I just show up and claim that I got a mail :)....desperate times lead to desperate measures!!!

What does the mail say?

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
I reserved a 32GB wifi+3G Ipad on Tuesday (18th May) and have to travel for 3 months starting next Thursday (27th). I really hope I get it by then!!!

I just called the Houston Galleria store to ask about where I am on the waitlist and he said they cannot check. Even told them that people have been able to find out earlier but he refused outright!!

It is frustrating - there is a thriving black market for Ipads on Craigslist with $100 -$150 premiums just because Apple cannot get its house in order.

For the people who got their Ipads - did they have to take a print of the email and carry ID?? I am thinking what would happen if I just show up and claim that I got a mail :)....desperate times lead to desperate measures!!!

What does the mail say?

I went to the Baybrook store (also in Houston) and gave them a sob story about leaving the country and needing it ASAP and they didn't budge. So good luck convincing them otherwise. I'd trying calling the Galleria store during non-peak hours and seeing if someone could look your name up, or go in to the store. Some of the associates will tell you they can't do it and some will be happy to do it for you, if someone tells you can't just ask them to please not lie to you as someone has done it for you before. I imagine all of them are going insane with requests, but you know what... that's their job.

racrac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought weekday 1230pm was an offpeak....but I guess its not. I think I will go over tonight and try to sweet talk someone.

Most reactions

Latest posts