What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Refuses Cash Payment for iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipad-and-cash.gif

USA Today reports the story of Diane Campbell, a San-Francisco area woman who is disabled and on a fixed income, who found that the Palo Alto Apple store would not take the $600 cash payment that she wanted to hand over for an iPad.

“It took quite a long time for me to just save up this small amount of money to go down and purchase one,†she told a local news station. “I had my cash in the backpack and I went up proudly to the counter and told them, ‘I would like to purchase an iPad.’â€
Imagine Diane’s surprise then, when she was stopped in her tracks by the store staff and told that they didn’t take cash.

According to USA Today, Apple only takes credit or debit card payments for the iPad or iPhone because it makes it easier to stop them from being bought in bulk and sold abroad. The U.S. Treasury says that there is no law anywhere that says a business must accept cash if it’s offered.
It remains to be seen if Diane will get her iPad in the end, maybe she’ll get a free one from Apple?!

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: USA Today

Deenybird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All businesses should be required to accept all forms of currency. That means dollar bills, or pennies. Imagine if your local convenience store started pulling this crap...

iBean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's really absurd! And what an embarrassment to the customer. The last Apple computer I bought was on Black Friday a few Thanksgivings ago. I had just sold the last of my litter of Golden Retrievers and was able to pay cash for my iMac. Usually avoid shopping on that day, but the bargain offered on the iMac got me in there. Even though the store was jam packed, they were happy to take my cash. I could see if the lady was buying 10 iPads, but P-A-L-E-E-Z-E! 1 16 gig Wi-Fi iPad? Apple should be so embarrassed that they GIVE her a 64-3G iPad and a huge apology.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I've been to plenty of places that only take cash so iguess it can work both ways. Once it's fully launched and supplies are plenty they will take any form of payment.

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think its that big of a deal. If the lady doesn't have a credit card or debit card she can open up a free account at her local bank and get a Debit card. Or she could go to the nearest Wal Mart or drugstore and buy a Visa or AMEX gift card to use.

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its actually a business practice that takes a lot of risk out of the retail business. This means there is no danger of accepting counterfeit bills, employee theft, employee mistakes, and no trips to a bank to make a deposit late at night.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it costs the retailer money to accept credit so it's not like they are doing it to be greedy.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has been their policy for quite some time, i'm surprised it's just now making the news.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
Keep in mind that it costs the retailer money to accept credit so it's not like they are doing it to be greedy.

It costs money to accept cash too. I have heard several retailers suggest that moving to an all credit system, would actually reduce costs because of the costs of cash, risk of theft and embezzlement, etc.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you are a complete deadbeat you can get a debit card at most any bank without any fees.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
My thoughts from another thread on this video in the iPad discussion forum...

Lol...pretty funny...but silly of course...

Up until about a year ago we did not have an Apple store in Fort Worth, so I assume there are many places still that do not have one. So I guess this "advocate" would want to make Apple put stores everywhere to give access to their products?

Best buy, comes to mind.... Gee CNN, are you guys too elite to suggest she go to Best Buy (or other Apple reseller)? Does she have no one, family or friend, that would take her cash and use their debit card to purchase the iPad? Without a bank account (a bank account would of course give her a debit card, so I assume she does not have one) how is she going to pay for WIFI or 3G service?

As is so often the case, it is easier to whine, than do something simple and get it done.

Of course I disagree with Apple policy, but if you want something sometimes you have to jump through some hoops.... It's part of being an adult.....just deal with it...

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As is so often the case, it is easier to whine, than do something simple and get it done.

The late Sam Kinison used to do a great bit on world hunger. He talked about how he'd see those beautifully shot commercials for starving children and think "Why can't the camera crew give the kid a sandwich? But you know the director is saying 'No, don't feed him - he has to look hungry!'

Along those same lines, which would be more difficult? For CNN to send a van of highly paid staff to film the tragedy as it unfolds, or send an intern down there with a credit card, take the woman's cash and ring up the iPad and give her the receipt? Hell, depending on the card, he/she would even earn points on the purchase.

rlee131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to San Francisco's Michael Finney. ABC News Channel 7. And his investigative report Apple changed their policy. They hand delivered an ipod to the lady today. And gave it to her for NO CASH. FREE

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Thanks to San Francisco's Michael Finney. ABC News Channel 7. And his investigative report Apple changed their policy. They hand delivered an ipod to the lady today. And gave it to her for NO CASH. FREE

And again the lesson is re-enforced to this woman and those like her. Just whine and let someone else take care of it for you......

This was not a medical, hunger or safety issue. This was a person having trouble buying a luxury item at a high end consumer electronics store...... And so the cycle of dependency continues....

I guess when she get it home and finds out she doesn't automatically have Internet access, then Apple will have to provide her with WIFI.

I have worked as an advocate for elderly and mentally challenged. There are real needs, and real problems out there. This was far from such a case....

Most reactions

Latest posts