What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple iPad eBook App is called iBooks

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Via Gizmodo:

Amazon Kindle, meet your Voldemort. iPad has an ebook store and it's called "iBooks". Picture of the store interface after the jump. Publishers include Penguin, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Hachette—the big boys. [Apple iPad]

Doesn't look like books will be cheap, but there should be a healthy price war soon. The example book was $15.
On the plus side, Apple is using ePub, which means books from other stores couldwork.

Beeray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My library uses adobe and epub on their digital downloads, does that mean that I will be able to download library books?

Beeray

ngerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad/nook/kindle

I am a huge fan of audiobooks and ebooks. I held off on buying a Nook or Kindle this Christmas because I wanted to wait on Apple's offering. I can listen to audiobooks on my itouch. I can read Barnes & Noble ebooks on my itouch with the B&N app. I can read Kindle ebooks on my itouch with the Amazon app. I can have a book in ebook form and in audiobook form so that I can read or be read to. I LOVE ALL OF IT. :) Here's what I need to know before I think about ordering an ipad: 1.) Will the Barnes and Noble and Amazon Kindle ebook apps still work on the ipad? 2.) Will library ebooks work on the ipad? 3.) Will the ipad ebooks have the ability to be read by me or to be read to me by the ipad...like the kindle?

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Great, unfortunatly no multi tasking so i cant serve the web at the same time.:(

apolinsk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Foreign languages

I am curious if epub eBooks in non-English languages (no DRM), for example, in cyrillic, could be displayed on iPad?

barbtns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iphone ... if I don't own a kindle ... can I still download books to read on my iphone if I have the kindle app?

barbtns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
also ... I prefer the 9.99 price of books .. do you think apple will go down in price? the extra $5 they charge bothers me ...

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm.. Good Question.. I haven't seen anything announced yet.

I am curious if epub eBooks in non-English languages (no DRM), for example, in cyrillic, could be displayed on iPad?

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In a recent internet Steve Jobs said they would be the same cost.

"When asked why people would buy an iPad iBooks book for $14.99 rather than an Amazon Kindle book for $9.99, Jobs said the books would be the same price, and further said publishers withhold books from Amazon because they’re not happy about the price. (Could be referring to Apple’s standard 70/30 split which Amazon just recently announced they’d match in some cases)".

also ... I prefer the 9.99 price of books .. do you think apple will go down in price? the extra $5 they charge bothers me ...

You should be able to, though I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be reading a book on the iPhone. To small for my eyes :)

I have an iphone ... if I don't own a kindle ... can I still download books to read on my iphone if I have the kindle app?

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Amazon has raised their prices??

I thought I read somewhere yesterday that Amazon was going to a higher priced book because of the publishers demands.

Article said something about when they were selling at $9.99 they were selling at a loss because they were giving more than that to the publisher. Hard to say where this will end up but it will be an exciting next 6 months in the ebook industry, competition has got to be good for us.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It says that Russian is offered for the iPad on the specs page. If a language is supported by the device it is highly probable that material read on it would be supported too.

Some people here could answer you.
In my opinion it would work only on non DRMed books. But you still have to have a Kindle account at Amazon.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts