What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple DOES NOT Screw Every Ebook App But iBooks - BAD GIZMODO.com

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How Apple Screws Every Ebook App But iBooks

UPDATE:The Kindle app indeed has a brightness control. It is buried under the font adjustment menu option. Gotta say, points off for crappy UI design on Amazon's part, but I indeed stand corrected. Thanks to everyone who pointed it out.

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN REDACTED BY GIZMODO 4-14-2010

Apple may have built a great LCD-based reader, but when it comes to favoring its iBooks app over other reading programs, they're playing dirty pool: The in-app brightness control makes a super-dim, extra-comfortable screen—but only in iBooks.
The argument against LCD ebook readers generally revolves around backlighting: Too much bombards the eyes and causes strain. I have found that at night, I'm most comfortable reading only with the backlight, leaving my nightstand off. But I only am able to do this in iBooks, because only there can I achieve the super-low brightness setting that makes sense in an otherwise dark room. The Kindle app doesn't have this control, and has to rely on the system setting, which is far brighter. That's why I'm crying foul: If this isn't some kind of deliberate strategic advantage, why not just let the system brightness control go that dim?
It should be abundantly clear from these shots—all taken in sequence in the same location in a dimly lit room using the same manual settings on a Canon T1i—that the iBooks advantage is tremendous. The only question is, will Apple offer its in-app brightness control as an API for developers or will it keep it for itself, in hopes that the subconscious effect on readers will somehow translate into increased book sales? Only Jobs knows.

Send an email to Wilson Rothman, the author of this post, at
[email protected].

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Just goto settings/brightness and walpaper, un tic auto brightness, use the slider to get desired brightness.... The open Kindle, Goodread.......etc, it's what i've been doing from day one...... No big deal.....

I do realize that in app adjustment would be easier, but it's not a major issue.

I find it hard to believe people would stop using the Kindle app for lack of this one feature.... But I guess anything isnpossible.....

Last edited:

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been reading on the kindle for iphone app for a year, white text on black background is actually their lowest brightness. That picture is deceiving and inaccurate. It's not "buried deep" you just need to spend more than 1 minute testing apps before you write up an opinion.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I thought so..... I usually have several books going on different apps. I use iBooks, Kobo, Kindle,eReader and Goodreader. i opened Kobo tonight and low and behold it had in app brightness control. This whole article is BS..... I would guess the other ones don't because they have not added it as a feature yet.......anyway, a poorly researched article, and inaccurate.

Most reactions

Latest posts