What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App problems

Tonks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought I would create a thread were we can get help with apps that that don't work. (That and I have a problem with Face Booth Pro and I couldn't find any help.)

Last edited:

johnawalt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app "the Vault" locked up after an update yesterday on my iPad. Happened to my son on his iPhone also. If you use this app, don't update it! Frustration!

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
johnawalt said:
The app "the Vault" locked up after an update yesterday on my iPad. Happened to my son on his iPhone also. If you use this app, don't update it! Frustration!

The same happened to me with The Vault I did not have a choice to update or not, there was a screen that announced it was updated. Then my entire account disappeared. The program is no longer listed on the app store. It is no longer listed as an app I purchased. I had important information on this "secure app" that I would like to have access to. I purchased the app plus several in app purchases. How do you notify Apple of this?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bonnie7168 said:
The same happened to me with The Vault I did not have a choice to update or not, there was a screen that announced it was updated. Then my entire account disappeared. The program is no longer listed on the app store. It is no longer listed as an app I purchased. I had important information on this "secure app" that I would like to have access to. I purchased the app plus several in app purchases. How do you notify Apple of this?

I would wait a day or so. Likely pulled until issue is resolved.

Developer web site here. http://www.tomsoft.co.uk/iphone/iphone-design.htm

Contact support from there I'm guessing?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the vault, mines fine, haven't seen an update but it's not in my app store either now

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I wrote to the developer. You have a good point, maybe Apple pulled it due to problems. I learned a valuable lesson.....always have a backup. Anyone who has the program, don't open it. I will let everyone know if I hear from the developer.

David G

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The URL for The Vault is wrong. The correct developer is morbiuslabs.com. The one that midranger 4 posted is for Photo Vault. Moribiuslab has no phone number, even checked in Whois.com, but the phone numbers are disconnected.
When I tried to email them at , it was returned as undeliverable. This is the story with them. I think best bet is now iTunes store. I lost all my data and I do have a data recovery file on my desktop called
fixrecovery43 but when you open it it is all encrypted and I haven't found a solution yet. There is no help on their website at all. Please let's keep this alive and update what we find out.

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David G said:
The URL for The Vault is wrong. The correct developer is morbiuslabs.com. The one that midranger 4 posted is for Photo Vault. Moribiuslab has no phone number, even checked in Whois.com, but the phone numbers are disconnected.
When I tried to email them at , it was returned as undeliverable. This is the story with them. I think best bet is now iTunes store. I lost all my data and I do have a data recovery file on my desktop called
fixrecovery43 but when you open it it is all encrypted and I haven't found a solution yet. There is no help on their website at all. Please let's keep this alive and update what we find out.

Thanks, I also sent a email to the möbiuslabs.com address and it was returned 24 hours later. What else can we do with iTunes? Is there any way to address the issue with them?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies. Located the info below at hotfrog.com. Good luck!

Morbius Labs

610 S. Industrial Blvd
Euless, Texas 76040-5048

Phone: 817-685-9121

bonnie7168

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
My apologies. Located the info below at hotfrog.com. Good luck!

Morbius Labs

610 S. Industrial Blvd
Euless, Texas 76040-5048

Phone: 817-685-9121

Thank you for locating the correct information. I called the company and left a voice mail with my phone number and email information. I will let you know what I hear. I would suggest everyone who has a problem, please do the same.

madmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David G said:
I am working on it. Will post as soon as I have an answer

I had the same problem. It is being fixed. I would send a link to his site but sm not permitted as I am a newbie but here is a precis of where we stand

UPDATE 14 April 2012: There is an issue with update 2.0.4 of The Vault. I am looking into this.

From what I can see the issue is being caused by the following combination of events:

1) Update 2.0.4 enables iTunes Document sharing and therefore has to move The Vault's database to a different folder.

2) Apple demanded that in update 2.0.4 I changed the App's name from "theVault" to "The Vault" to reflect its title in the AppStore.

It appears that this simultaneous combination of events results in partial corruption of theVault's database, causing the app to crash when it starts.

Nevertheless, this should not have happened.
I am doing everything I can to get The Vault up and running again.

I will update my progress here.

UPDATE 15 April 2012 12.44h : May be able to fix database corruption too!

Continued to work on this today, as described above a new version is ready to be submitted that will:

a) allow non-updated 2.0.3 users to update to 2.0.5.
b) allow users who have SecureBackup Bundles, to restore their Vault's contents

and c) possibly fix database corruption!
I succeeded in reconstructing the corrupted sqlite3 headers on two test devices.
Now testing how well the fix holds under different circumstances

Q: What does this mean?
A: If you do *not* have a recent SecureBackup Bundle to restore to: please do nothing and wait for the updated version.
If you delete the app, or unsuccessfully attempt to restore yourself, you may delete or modify the database that The Vault may be able to fix.

Q: How will we know if it worked.
A: If it works, it works, The Vault will just run normally, and your data will be there.

Q: So how could all this happen?
A: From what I see the following happened: when users updated to 2.0.4, iOS changed the name of the application from "theVault" to "The Vault".
At the same time, the app moved the database to another location to allow for iTunes Document sharing. This should not be a problem, however in the process two file handles appeared to have been mixed up by the operating system: output that the app was writing to the Debug Log in fact was written to the SQLite database, overwriting its header.
This is why the app started fine once, then on next start up encountered the now corrupted database and crashed.

Q: How could you possible recover lost data?
A: I cannot, but no data was ever lost.
Only the database header was overwritten, your data was untouched, but unreachable.
What update 2.0.5 attempts to do is reconstruct the SQLite header.

There is much more but this is where we are at

Update 15 April 2012 16.25h: About to submit - a note on chances of success

Will submit v2.0.5 to Apple tonight.

What are the chances of success for those with corrupted database headers?
In general if a CoreData sqlite database gets corrupted, you are lost.
So what I am doing here, reconstructing the database header outside of the control of CoreData.... it's difficult.
However, if it works, it works: if Core Data accepts control over the reconstructed database everything is fine.

I can reconstruct the bytes from offset 0 to 100 of the SQLite header.
Then however follow 24 bytes in Apple's undocumented proprietary format that are very hard to predict.
The fix now works on all my devices, but I expect these 24 bytes may give people trouble.
Without more information, this is all I can do.

Update 16 April 2012 16.26h: Update has been submitted

Update v2.0.5 has indeed been submitted to Apple last night.

Please do not email me when it will be released - only Apple knows.
I will update this website as soon as I am notified the update will be released.

Thank you for your patience.

Update 16 April 2012 19.10h: Apple has granted an expedited review

Apple just notified me that as a one-time exception an expedited review of The Vault has been granted.

I have my fingers crossed.

Mike

madmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the latest from Vault Developer.

Update 19 April 2012 06.11h: Still waiting...

Update 2.0.5 was submitted on Sunday. Still no word from Apple, other than "the app is in review".

Please, do not email me if I have any news. I don't. Waiting for Apple, just like the rest of us.
I *will* post here when there is white smoke from Apple HQ.

Thank you for your patience...

Hopefully we will not have to wait much longer to find out if our databases are corrupt or not. I have a back up only a couple of weeks old so not devasting if I have to restore but would be nice if the fix fixes it.

Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts