What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone success?: iPad 3 wireless tether using iBluever and HTC Incredible on Verizon

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i went with the Wifi only when buying my Ipad 3 recently, expecting i would easily be able to tether to my phone to my iPad (after jailbreaking) for internet access when away from home. hasn't worked out yet

here's my details...

Using HTC Incredible (Droid Incredible, first version, Gingerbread 2.3.4) and iPad 3, iOS 5.1.1. Verizon wireless. PDAnet 3.5 (which incorporates Foxfi also, somehow).

iBluever demo worked fine, so bought full version. Full version had a few different dialogs from demo, but finally figured it out. iPad pairs with phone fine via BT

At least once I was able to get online using these settings

Vendor – Generic
Model – Bluetooth LAN Access
Account Name - (blank)
Password - (blank)
Dial Number - #777
Compression – OFF
Wait for Dial Tone – ON
Dialing Method – Tone
Dial Sound – OFF

I have not changed any of these settings, but iBluever will not get past

"PPP negotiating link..."

and eventually pops up with

"A connection could not be established to the PPP server. Try reconnecting. If the problem continues, verify your settings and contact your Administrator"

Is this a problem with iPad-Incredible link or something about getting onto Verizon via dialup? Any assistance much appreciated.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't help (I use my carrier to tether). Hopefully, someone will be along to assist...soon.

I'm mainly posting to say that I deleted your other thread you started today on this same topic. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

Good luck with your issue.

Marilyn

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Wifi Tether app available for Incredible and Rezound and many other Android phones. There is no need to mess with PDA Net or IBluever. I don't use the Incredible any more since it's only 3G, but with my Rezound you have to have a rooted android phone. You install the Wifi Tether apk and go to settings and pick the appropriate settings for your phone and enable wifi security, set your SSID and passphrase. Then you can connect to your phone's wifi hotspot from any device that needs wifi. I use it with my iPad and my laptop often. It helps that I've got an unlimited VZ dataplan. I won't post any links, but look for XDA developers and find the Incredible forum there. There should be plenty of threads telling you how to set it up on your phone.

OP
M

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Wifi Tether app available for Incredible and Rezound and many other Android phones. There is no need to mess with PDA Net or IBluever. I don't use the Incredible any more since it's only 3G, but with my Rezound you have to have a rooted android phone. You install the Wifi Tether apk and go to settings and pick the appropriate settings for your phone and enable wifi security, set your SSID and passphrase. Then you can connect to your phone's wifi hotspot from any device that needs wifi. I use it with my iPad and my laptop often. It helps that I've got an unlimited VZ dataplan. I won't post any links, but look for XDA developers and find the Incredible forum there. There should be plenty of threads telling you how to set it up on your phone.

yeah, i did an extensive search on rooting my Incredible, but it looked foreboding, esp with the recent update to Gingebread... there don't seem to be any more one-click rooting programs around.

So instead I decided to jailbreak my iPad (very very easy AND i have a backup in iTunes in case i need to go back) and go with what I described above. I would really want to exhaust this option before going back to try to root my phone.

-mefnj

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PPP connections and PPPoE connections are very secure ways of wireless DSL connections. It's best if you use MyWi OnDemand which takes the connection from a wifi signal and spilt it with bluetooth like it does as provided to the sources available. Usually the other device needs MyWi OnDemand as well, but it might work on Android. Not really sure if it works with android since it has to make a connection with the partnered up app in the device.

OP
M

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PPP connections and PPPoE connections are very secure ways of wireless DSL connections. It's best if you use MyWi OnDemand which takes the connection from a wifi signal and spilt it with bluetooth like it does as provided to the sources available. Usually the other device needs MyWi OnDemand as well, but it might work on Android. Not really sure if it works with android since it has to make a connection with the partnered up app in the device.

maybe i was not clear in my post.

my iPad is already wifi enabled, and if i have a wifi signal, i have no need for the phone tether. what i am trying to do is allow my iPad to use my phone's 3G internet connection and my paid data plan. my HTC Incredible cannot be a wifi hotspot unless i root or pay an extra fee... which is crazy, since all i am basically doing is using my iPad as an extension of my phone to connect to the internet (e.g., i am trying to use my iPad INSTEAD of my phone for internet access, so i am not "double dipping" my data usage).

iBluever on a jailbroke iPad is supposed to allow this iPad-phone tether by bluetooth DUNS if i can ever get the settings right to successfully connect. as i indicated, it worked at least once, but i only get the cited error messages since then...

hazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried foxfi? It should work on your incredible. I use it with my razr maxx and iPad.

Last edited:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
maybe i was not clear in my post.

my iPad is already wifi enabled, and if i have a wifi signal, i have no need for the phone tether. what i am trying to do is allow my iPad to use my phone's 3G internet connection and my paid data plan. my HTC Incredible cannot be a wifi hotspot unless i root or pay an extra fee... which is crazy, since all i am basically doing is using my iPad as an extension of my phone to connect to the internet (e.g., i am trying to use my iPad INSTEAD of my phone for internet access, so i am not "double dipping" my data usage).

iBluever on a jailbroke iPad is supposed to allow this iPad-phone tether by bluetooth DUNS if i can ever get the settings right to successfully connect. as i indicated, it worked at least once, but i only get the cited error messages since then...

Hi mefnj,

You make the following two statements, but the second one isn't quite a clear as the first one... ;)

1. what i am trying to do is allow my iPad to use my phone's 3G internet connection and my paid data plan
2. i am trying to use my iPad INSTEAD of my phone for internet access, so i am not "double dipping" my data usage

I am going to assume you want your iPad to use your phones 3G connection for internet access, so you can make the most of your phone data plan.

In this case you MUST have a tethering capability on your phone in order to be able to do this. You cannot magically enable something on the iPad which will allow you to tether from your phone when your phone does not have any tethering capabilities enabled AFAIK (unless the HTC Incredible does something I am unaware of).

iBluever may allow an iPad to connect to a phone over bluetooth, but it does not enable the tethering on the phone itself. All that will happen, if you do manage to get iBluever working, is you will get connected to your phone via bluetooth, but you will still have no internet capability on the iPad.

So iBluever is intended to allow you to use your phones tethering ability over Bluetooth, but it does not enable it.

Personally, I think what you should be doing is looking at rooting and enabling wifi tethering on your phone as laid out in the last reply. Then no modifications are necessary on the iPad (or any other wifi enabled device).
In this scenario you enable the tethering on your phone without paying the extra tethering fee to the carrier.

If this is not correct, please try to better state what it is you are trying to achieve with each device :)

Good luck.

OP
M

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi mefnj,

You make the following two statements, but the second one isn't quite a clear as the first one... ;)

1. what i am trying to do is allow my iPad to use my phone's 3G internet connection and my paid data plan
2. i am trying to use my iPad INSTEAD of my phone for internet access, so i am not "double dipping" my data usage

I am going to assume you want your iPad to use your phones 3G connection for internet access, so you can make the most of your phone data plan.

In this case you MUST have a tethering capability on your phone in order to be able to do this. You cannot magically enable something on the iPad which will allow you to tether from your phone when your phone does not have any tethering capabilities enabled AFAIK (unless the HTC Incredible does something I am unaware of).

iBluever may allow an iPad to connect to a phone over bluetooth, but it does not enable the tethering on the phone itself. All that will happen, if you do manage to get iBluever working, is you will get connected to your phone via bluetooth, but you will still have no internet capability on the iPad.

So iBluever is intended to allow you to use your phones tethering ability over Bluetooth, but it does not enable it.

Personally, I think what you should be doing is looking at rooting and enabling wifi tethering on your phone as laid out in the last reply. Then no modifications are necessary on the iPad (or any other wifi enabled device).
In this scenario you enable the tethering on your phone without paying the extra tethering fee to the carrier.

If this is not correct, please try to better state what it is you are trying to achieve with each device :)

Good luck.

hmmm...now you have me a little bit confused.

i've tethered my Incredible to laptops and desktops via USB using PDAnet for several years and it works great. along with USB tethering, there was always a Bluetooth DUN option for tethering. PDAnet recently came out with an upgrade that incorporates Foxfi into PDAnet, so it now does USB, Bluetooth DUNS, and wifi tethering. I don't think i am asking my phone to do anything that it is not capable of doing, e.g., sharing my 3G internet connection wirelessly to my iPad via Bluetooth DUN. I am aware there is a "mobile wifi hotspot" option available in my carrier's wireless plan, but i am not paying for or using that.

and, unfortunately, the Foxfi site specifically states it does not work with Incredible for wifi tethering/wifi hotspot

so that is all on the phone side.

On the iPad side, iBluever is supposed to rework the Bluetooth system so it can connect to the phone to use it as a modem, then use DUN (dial up networking) to connect to the internet. As I stated in my OP, i was able to get online with the demo of iBluever via Bluetooth DUN, but the demo is somewhat different than the full version with some different settings. So my plea was to see if anyone else had success with the same phone and carrier as myself using this setup, and what settings worked for them.

i am hesitant to root my phone as it seems there are so many ways i could brick my phone. i'm not a computer-phobe, but i'm definitely not into all the lingo and such that i see used on the rooting websites. all this running from command lines, special procedures to boot the phone to get into hidden menus, etc... it just seems like one small mis-step one time and you're screwed. i was all set to root when there seemed to be a one-click method (like unrevoked3), but with the update to Gingerbread 2.3.4 the one-click option seems to have been taken off the table.

i do appreciate all your responses, but nothing seems promising to help me out yet...

thanks all.

-m

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, that's my bad, I missed the fact that you had PDANet on the Incredible from your first post and missing that was what made me think you weren't approaching it right. Apologies.

So, that aside, are you sure you are using the right tweak? I thought the "iTether w/ On Demand" was the correct tweak for the iPad side to allow it to connect to a phone offering tethering over Bluetooth...?

I thought "iBluever w/ OnDemand" was used to ENABLE the tethering on the Phone, not on the iPad?

If you read the descriptions of both tweaks (which compliment each other) this is what they seem to suggest.

I certainly used iTether (on iPad) in conjunction with TetherMe (on the iPhone) before I had a tethering plan included by my Carrier for free...

Last edited:
OP
M

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, that's my bad, I missed the fact that you had PDANet on the Incredible from your first post and missing that was what made me think you weren't approaching it right. Apologies.

So, that aside, are you sure you are using the right tweak? I thought the "iTether w/ On Demand" was the correct tweak for the iPad side to allow it to connect to a phone offering tethering over Bluetooth...?

I thought "iBluever w/ OnDemand" was used to ENABLE the tethering on the Phone, not on the iPad?

If you read the descriptions of both tweaks (which compliment each other) this is what they seem to suggest.

I certainly used iTether (on iPad) in conjunction with TetherMe (on the iPhone) before I had a tethering plan included by my Carrier for free...

i believe iTether is to allow jailbroke iPhones to tether to jailbroke iPads which have iBluever istalled... since i am using an Android phone, i do not think that either iTether or iBluever on my phone is going to work.

i'm am getting much closer to just rooting my phone and using wifi, but trying to exhaust every last option so i can avoid rooting.

thanks,
-m

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i believe iTether is to allow jailbroke iPhones to tether to jailbroke iPads which have iBluever istalled... since i am using an Android phone, i do not think that either iTether or iBluever on my phone is going to work.

i'm am getting much closer to just rooting my phone and using wifi, but trying to exhaust every last option so i can avoid rooting.

thanks,
-m

No, if you carefully read the description of iTether it tells you that it is designed to go onto the iPad device with which you are trying to tether to a phone. It clearly says it is for the device you are trying to share the data *with*. iBluever is designed to go on the iDevice you are trying to share the data *from*, which is not valid in your scenario. In your scenario, you have PDANet to provide that functionality on your phone.

If you want to connect your iPad to your Android phone to share your phones data over Bluetooth you are going to have to install iTether on the iPad and PDANet on the phone.

I can assure you that before I had tethering enabled by my carrier on my iPhone, I used TetherMe on the iPhone and iTether on the iPad so that I could connect over bluetooth.

Last edited:
OP
M

mefnj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, if you carefully read the description of iTether it tells you that it is designed to go onto the iPad device with which you are trying to tether to a phone. It clearly says it is for the device you are trying to share the data *with*. iBluever is designed to go on the iDevice you are trying to share the data *from*, which is not valid in your scenario. In your scenario, you have PDANet to provide that functionality on your phone.

If you want to connect your iPad to your Android phone to share your phones data over Bluetooth you are going to have to install iTether on the iPad and PDANet on the phone.

I can assure you that before I had tethering enabled by my carrier on my iPhone, I used TetherMe on the iPhone and iTether on the iPad so that I could connect over bluetooth.

from my reading of the iBluever website from which you quote, iBluever is still the correct program to use on the iPad side. PDAnet on the Android phone has the Bluetooth DUN option for tethering. iBluever page states:

"Generic Bluetooth DUN(Dial up networking) support, if your phone(Nokia phones, Android phones with PDANet, Blackberry phones and etc) supports this profile, you can use iBluever to use your phone’s mobile connection." (iBluever : iF0rce)

the corresponding description from iTether states:

"Generic Bluetooth PAN(Personally area networking) support, if your phone(Nokia S40 phone, Android phone, and etc) supports this profile, you can use iTether to use your phone’s mobile connection." (iTether : iF0rce)

my phone with PDAnet is Bluetooth DUN, not Bluetooth PAN.

and on top of all that, i know the iBluever demo worked, but the darned paid version looked different and had a range of additional and different settings. I wish they had just offered the demo, then allow you to pay for a key to unlock the demo to make it a full version.

there is no demo for iTether to try it, and i'm not ready to pay another $5 for something that may or may not work ... i'm likely already losing the $5 i paid for the full iBluever (yes, i'm sort of a cheapskate).

i'm leaning more towards rooting my phone... ;-(

-m

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, what I am quoting is the description of the Tweak on Cydia which is good practice to always read before you purchase anything...

iTether w/ OnDemand · Cydia

Please install this app on the device you share the internet connection *with*. For an iPhone+iPad user you properly [sic] should install this app on the iPad.

But reading the website, it seems pretty clear too - iTether : iF0rce

Anyhoo, I've tried to help out as best I can based on a scenario I had working. Hope you get there in the end. Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts