What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple media streaming at home

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This might be stupid, but how can I just stream from my PC to my iPad when I'm at home on the same wifi network?

I've had the iPad (4th gen) for a while now and so far, to watch stuff from my PC, I have just transferred it and watched whatever with AVplayer.

But there are times where I don't want to wait for the transfer and just want to watch something while I'm not at my computer. However I can't just grab my iPad and see my stuff that's stored on my PC. I didn't even realise I was missing out on this sort of feature until my GF bought it up because other devices in our household including our phones(galaxy s3/s4 and s4 mini), other laptops (a Windows and Mac), the home theater, PS3, Xbox 360 and TV, can all see my videos that are on my computer.

Is there something that will just let the iPad "see" my computer too?

I have tried VLC Streamer but it requires the application to be running on the PC and is quite resource hungry, plus the quality of the stream to the iPad is terrible - jittery/lags/blocky image. Comparing the same video on other devices, there's just no contest, the playback on the iPad is horrific.

I'd be greatful for any help

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
L

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I'll give OPlayer a shot, a little miffed that the iPad simply cant do this in the native player.

OP
L

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad can stream content stored in iTunes via the Home Sharing feature. Though it does require iTunes to be running on the computer.

iOS: Setting up Home Sharing on your iOS device

Thank you for the response and the link. I dont use itunes so I wasnt aware of this option. A bit of Googleing didnt present this either (or I dont know how to read lol).

I'll give that a go to, just means I need to get itunes.

OP
L

LiquidB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried the itunes Home Sharing option - its a no go.

Main reason I ditched itunes was because it would duplicate my music files into the 'iTunes Media' folder - why that would be necessary is beyond me, I dont know why I would want to use up HDD space to have the same files again just for itunes.

Anyway - itunes cant play some of the movie formats I have and either just doesnt work (wont add the file to the library) or only gives audio, no video.
As for the home sharing - pain in the a$$ signing in to share the media and then it not even showing up on the iPad - audio only or nothing at all.

Majorly frustrated sad face.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just point iTunes to the music folder you have your music stored in. I do it all the time. And the sharing works too.

Last edited:

Most reactions