What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any easy way to really close an app in 4.2.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is the guy was not worried about how many were running/not running and what it was doing to his system, he was unhappy with having to scroll through all the "open" apps on the task bar to get to the one he wanted to hotswap with... which is a legitimate complaint regardless of "state".... keeping it to one screen is nice.. I just x out everynow and then and I'm happy.

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let the dust settle and get use to the changes. My phone handles multi tasking quite well without degrading the OS or draining the battery.

This is a good change and hopefully everyone will get use to it quickly. Apple has done their homework!

My two cents.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, Apps don't run in the background they all close when you leave them...they write a state file to resume usage next time you launch it....man apple really screwed up calling it multitasking.

You know I can now play pandora while browsing the Internet now that I have 4.2.1 installed. As a matter of fact I am listening right now as i type this response.

yes because music is the ONLY service allowed to remain in the background...and only one music app is allowed at a time. While listening to Pandora go ahead and try to watch a movie and see if pandora continues to play, or listen to iPod or any other music app.

This gets me so frustrated on the iPad. What are they thinking? I am listening to some music and I launch a game and the music stops. What the hell? Why do I have to decide between one or the other Apple, let the sounds overlap like every other device does.

Are you saying that this is not fixes in the update? What have they been doing for the last 6 months? It takes this long to integrate "multitasking" and folders? Some 14 year olds wrote Cydia apps that accomplished this in a couple days.

Last edited:

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well at least you are all using it. I am still in backup mode that is 3/4 done after 10 hours. :D

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
10hours........urghhh something not right.
What have you been doing? :)

Have a 32g pad here with under a gig free and syncing upgrading took well under an hour.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so thankful for this forum, I learn stuff everytime I read a post. I have had my iPhone4 since day 1, has the multitasking been there all along? When I double clicked the home button and brought up the task bar (on the iphone) I had a LOT of applications showing up I never knew were there?? Of course, I removed them and tried the same thing on the iPad, guess what - it was the same. Thanks guys and girls!!!

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am so thankful for this forum, I learn stuff everytime I read a post. I have had my iPhone4 since day 1, has the multitasking been there all along? When I double clicked the home button and brought up the task bar (on the iphone) I had a LOT of applications showing up I never knew were there?? Of course, I removed them and tried the same thing on the iPad, guess what - it was the same. Thanks guys and girls!!!

exactly the reason why their "multitasking" is a failure. It' just not intuitive. Don't get me wrong, I like it, glad it's there, but it's design and interface is just odd.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only reason to have multitasking is to allow quick switching between programs (apps). You can't switch quickly if you have to scroll through 20 or 30 apps on the bar to find what you want.

How about a feature that allows the user to shut the app (and not send it to the bottom bar) by holding down the close button for 2 seconds?

And, a button on the multitask bar to close all apps on the bar?
It's a recently used app list... If an app is 20 or 30 apps into the list it's neither running nor "recently used." I wouldn't even be wasting my time trying to find it that way. How about just open it normally?

That said the behavior can be improved. I run SwitcherPlus on my iPhone and iPad. It greatly improves the switcher. I can close all apps, close all apps to the right of the one I am closing, and keep certain apps excluded from closing unless I close them explicitly. Also can keep favorites always on the left--for easy launching. Alas this is a jailbreak app.

Michael

Drak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is a pita, you should be able to choose the apps you want in the background, the default should be to close an app down unless set otherwise.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is a pita, you should be able to choose the apps you want in the background, the default should be to close an app down unless set otherwise.

Yep. Too bad the word combination "user choice" are banned on the Apple campus.

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me the main advantages of multitasking are having apps re-open where I left off using them, and having a choice in what music app I can have running in the background. So quickly switching between apps is not the only reason to have multitasking, or even the main reason for me. But since the mt bar is constantly updated so apps are listed in order of most recent use, it seems like it would work fine for hot swapping. As Tinman said, if you are scrolling thru lots of icons in the multitasking bar, you must be looking for a less recently used one... ?

Drengor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But there is no reason to do that.

There are multiple reasons to do that.

1. I want to.
2. Multitask swiping (side to side) to nagivate between apps works great when there's a small list of 3 or 4... it's complete crap when there's 20 or 30 to swipe through.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are multiple reasons to do that.

1. I want to.
2. Multitask swiping (side to side) to nagivate between apps works great when there's a small list of 3 or 4... it's complete crap when there's 20 or 30 to swipe through.

This thread is very old one that you have re-opened. The thread discusses the IOS running on 4.2.1. The current iOS is now 6.1.

We will now close this one down. If you have further questions, please post your question or find a thread that isn't 2 years old.

Thank you for your understanding.

IPF STAFF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts