What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-arrange icons on iPad (and remove some apps, too)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rfiveh2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question for you

Zorah,

New user and when you are talking about Itunes, are you referring to the app installed on the iPad or when plugged into pc. My iPad is a corporate version and I have not attempted to plug into my laptop. My iPad version is very basic.

[

QUOTE=zorah;110324]I find iTunes is the easiest way to go for re-organizing icons, especially with the iPhone. With patience though, I can do it. Haven't yet organized my iPad yet, but moved one or two icons which was much easier on the bigger screen.
Removing apps is easy too, just pressing down and holding until they blink, press on it for the confirm delete. Just remember to not re-sync them back on your iPad by un-checking them in iTunes when you do a sync. (or deleting it from iTunes altogether). For paid apps I ended up not using, I just leave them in iTunes unchecked, in case I ever change my mind.[/QUOTE]

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Rfiveh2003:

I am referring to the desktop/PC iTunes. But you can still re-organize icons as described in this thread-just more tedious, and it's not through iTunes then. The formal iTunes on your computer shows all the information and you can move icons around with your mouse a lot easier, and it also will sync your iPad to the computer and back up all the information. Maybe your company does not want the information on your personal laptop, but would they let you do so on a corporate one?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My pet hate is being unable to delete base apple apps like Notes and YouTube. Both of which have ugly icons and are done better by other apps.

Another great reason to jailbreak, you can easily hide apps you don't want using sbsettings!

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hide mine in a folder and name it "useless" then move that folder to an empty page. LOL

torlang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I am just not doing this right (ipad 3). Got it yesterday. Very nice. When trying to move an icon (on the same screen) to an empty location on the screen, it jumps right back to where it was. it looks like the icons are locked to grid somehow, and you're not allowed to place an app icon where you want it. Any ideas?

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
torlang said:
Maybe I am just not doing this right (ipad 3). Got it yesterday. Very nice. When trying to move an icon (on the same screen) to an empty location on the screen, it jumps right back to where it was. it looks like the icons are locked to grid somehow, and you're not allowed to place an app icon where you want it. Any ideas?

The icons line up starting at top left. You can change the order or move to another page, but you cannot put one on the bottom, for instance, if the page is not filled to that point.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Czevski is correct, the icons go in that order on a stock iPad. However, I am compelled to say that, if you jail break your iPad, you can purchase a tweak from Cydia (the jail breakers "App Store") called Gridlock ($0.99, USD) that will allow you to place icons anywhere on the springboard, like this:

48e6bdc1-6799-4322.jpg

Pretty cool, eh? :)

But, again, not possible on a stock iPad, sorry.

Marilyn

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Czevski is correct, the icons go in that order on a stock iPad. However, I am compelled to say that, if you jail break your iPad, you can purchase a tweak from Cydia (the jail breakers "App Store") called Gridlock ($0.99, USD) that will allow you to place icons anywhere on the springboard, like this:

Pretty cool, eh? :)

But, again, not possible on a stock iPad, sorry.

Marilyn

Marilyn,the photo doesn't appear in your post.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snipped a copy and paste of the entire first post with no additional comments from member]...

@Joshua: Why did you post a copy of the very first post in this thread with no comment from you? Normally, this is done by spam bots, yet your other posts appear to be original thoughts.

If you are indeed real - please send me a PM within the next couple of days. Else, I will decide that you are a spam bot and delete/ban your account for spamming.

In addition, as this thread has run its course (question asked and answered), it is now closed. Thanks for your understanding.

Marilyn
Moderator, iPadForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions