What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Android Tablet Owners?

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yeah, I'll probably end up with the iPad 3 and some android tablet later on down the road.
Each one does have its own strengths and weaknesses.

some of my Examples:

Bluetooth ODBII adapter for car - works for android but not iOS. iOS requires WiFi version tripple the price because of the lack of access to the bluetooth stack.

USB barcode scanner for inventory use - used to work with iOS and camera connection kit but has been blocked via iOS update. Works with android still.

Lag - The iPad seems to be the device with the least amount of lag and if its one thing I can't stand its having a laggy device.

Development tools - iPad wind this one with its great development tools. However you have to give Android credit for the amazing app inventor website enabling simple apps to be made in just minutes and ready to use right from the online website.

App update times - Android wins this one with developers being able to instantly roll out new updates while iOS must wait for the review process to happen.

WiFi Scanning - both apps loose in this one. without jail breaking iOS or modifying Android OS there is no way to scan for hidden wifi SSID's. Apple doesn't allow it, and android have never fixed the flaw after these many years(bug report still shows as new).

Security camera software - I have CCTV security systems both at work and at home and both OS's have apps available for me to easily view them.

Customization - Android wins this one hands down, its taken apple 5 years now before they even added the option to change the stupid email alert ringtone. That really drove me nuts, I could never hear when a new email came in because the sound was not a very loud or noticeable tone. Also being able to download new launcher apps and keyboards is great, you can really make the device your own.

Accessories that use dock connector - apple clearly winds this one since they use the same dock connection between all of their devices and a large amount of 3rd party accessories are available for you to just plug in whichever iDevice you want. While most android phones use the same mini-usb connection, not all of them do and each manufacturer also changes the location of the port for each phone they design. Some have doors that cover the port when not in use, however it tends to just get in the way.

VPN support - iOS support VPN connections and so does Android. You are going to want a VPN connection if you need one to access your work network like I do. But also for those times when you ever connect to a public wifi network just to make sure your data is secure and not possible being monitored or collected. The very strange thing I find however is that some companies (Samsung) remove VPN access from Android OS on some of their devices. There is no real reason for this an I don't know why they would purposely remove such a feature.

Network Analysis apps - Me being a computer tech I use network analysis apps for my work and have found android to be much better for this, due to the fact that developers have more control/access(especially on rooted devices).

So yeah, each has its strengths and weakness's its really up to the actual user to determine what is best for them and addresses their particular needs.

Last edited:

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mike that is a VERY good comparison...I have been meaning to write up something like this in a separate post...you got most of the pluses & minuses...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
FYI...there are MANY great Android support forums out there...PLUS the developer community is second to none in regards to those who have rooted their Androids...ROMS, apps, tweaks, etc...The things that can be done on an OPEN Android system is amazing...

That being said, having one piece of hardware to program for makes it easier for app developers to focus on making their apps run as perfect as possible.

As you can tell from all of my previous posts I am very passionate about BOTH systems. Only a fool would say one is better than the other without mentioning in what circumstances. There is a place for BOTH systems in the market...the same way Mac & Windows co-existed together...each have their pluses & minuses...I realized that learning both systems is to our advantage

I agree with you-that both systems certainly has its positives and negatives. It really is personal preference when it came down to it for me. There were quite a bit of forums for the droid platform which were very good and than some that weren't. However, you'd see it in both environments if you really looked.

Great discussion by the way. I like to see the head to head comparison and still very much interested in the growth of droid tablets. I think that the droid tablets have such great potential and hope that the ICS will help to bring the droid tablets to one platform and make it less fragmented.

tasker15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to get an skytex tablet since they are so dirt cheap but i think im just going to save and get the ipad 3 whenever that is released.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer android phones but I use my iPad 1 more than my xoom. Honeycomb was just awful. Slow..... pretty much felt like an alpha for ice cream sandwich. ICS is a major improvement. Still, there too much going on with all that screen real estate, resolution and active desktop so it still feels laggy.

With respect to the iPad, I buy alot of financial investment apps and games. And the iPad aces here. But it is beginning to feel real slow for browsing. I'm almost certain to get the iPad3. Though from what I've read it will be more like what the 4s was rather than a 5.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have an iPad 2. I had a nook color but I gifted that to my brother. I have an Acer Iconia tab 500. I will also gift this to my brother. I plan to get an iPad 3 assuming it has the higher res screen and doesn't suffer in terms of performance as a result. I do plan to also get an android 4.0 tablet as well. I want one as thin as
Thin and light as the iPad. I think that iOS has the edge in apps, but I do like using android and I am a fan of tablets in general. I would like one of each type. I'm hoping that I will find little reason to upgrade again after getting the iPad 3.

iouone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wife and I share iPad 2 but she using it more and more so I plan on buying her iPad 3. I have no reason to buy android tablet as the iPad works for us.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i was going to buy a Android tablet but i have my heart set on the ipad3 so i will waite for that. i know i would not be happy with the Android tablet

dullnote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi nothing technical here, I have an old steam driven PC at moments, never had a laptop or any other tablet, been looking for months, read loads on the net, pro and cons, everyone has an opinion. The tellls me there is no correct answer, I have made my mine up on Ipad, why because I liek the feel of it, it feels good when you pick it up.

Only have to see for ipad 2 or 3.

Thanks to everyone who writes to this forum, great source of info

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do have a Honeycomb tablet, a 7" Galaxy Plus. The form factor is nice. I believe it's upgradable to Ice Cream Sandwich. I enjoy having it out of general interest in tech gear, and it is definitely worthwhile. At the end of the day, I do still prefer iPad. Android is great for customizing, but I'm not into all the rooting and such. I want something to use and functions well with no fuss. Android is nice, but for lack of better description, a little clunky at times. But I enjoy having both (okay, and a playbook, I admit it), but when all is said and done, iPad wins. The fact that its battery life trumps them all doesn't hurt either. But there is just something about iPad that just works. The only thing with the others is the occasional Flash site I encounter it's nice to have it. I have the browser apps but really don't bother, and really, I live without the Flash on iPad, and I have an iPad 1 AND 2, so it's not a big deal and clearly not a deal breaker. And heaven knows, let's not get into a weeping & gnashing of teeth Flash discussion. OMG! So yes, I rather enjoying having other tablets, but ultimately it is iPad I use most.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To conclude :) Guys who like to change tablets from month to month - go for Android. Guys who plan to have tablet for year or more - go for iPad (it will work all year like he did first day)

Flash is no longer issue! Adobe stopped further development, so most sites are rapidly transforming to HTML5.
Biggest Flash issue -> he was not developed for portable devices initially. Flash is classic PC platform that don't have in priority energy efficiency.
HTML5 priority is fast loading & energy efficiency - that is one of reasons why iPad 2 had so good battery life, even if you are on net more time than usual.

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The $399 Asus Transformer Pad 300 is a pretty big contender. Apple would do best if they reduced the iPad 2's price to $399 and put in the A5X Processor and then released the iPad 3 at $499 with the A6 Processor and Retina Display.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to last rumors iPad 3 will be pricier! So consider you a happy if you get new iPad 2 with improved A5X for $499.

Apple is counting on enormous popularity of iPad & they know if they rise price, that people will still buy new iPad 3 like insane.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
According to last rumors iPad 3 will be pricier! So consider you a happy if you get new iPad 2 with improved A5X for $499.

Apple is counting on enormous popularity of iPad & they know if they rise price, that people will still buy new iPad 3 like insane.
Part of me doesnt believe this bollocks. Idk why...but i think thats just a major rumor. Theres no way apple would do that...I hope

Most reactions