What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Android Tablet Owners?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Any Android tablet owners on here waiting for the iPad 3 release? If so, what device do you have and what is it lacking that makes you want an iPad?

I skipped the iPad2 and am now going to wait for the iPad 3 announcement to determin if next month I will be buying an 3rd generation iPad or an Android Tablet. I made the switch from iPhone to Android about 2 years ago and have had several Android phones in this time without even thinking about switching back to an iPhone.

Last edited:

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the iPad 2 anyway since I wanted one to use for work ASAP...but I have been (and still am) an Android guy. I own an Acer Iconia A500 & a Viewsonic gTablet (for hacking). I have an ICS ROM running on the A500 and it runs GREAT!

I think you'll have to sit down and ask yourself what you want to do with the tablet (I've been meaning to write a comparison thread comparing pros & cons of each OS). Basically, the iPad is better for music recording/editing, video editing, and other art formats. The Android is better for media use (watching movies & listening to ALL your music...iTunes can sometimes be finicky if you have mp3 from alternate sources besides iTunes or your ripped CD's). internet (mainly because of flash but also there are so many choices for browsers compared to iOS)

As for apps quantity vs quality...iTunes by far has more apps and for the apps I needed for work they were also better quality (I'm a teacher so needed grading & attendance apps)...both do word processing well with the edge to iOS (Pages is amazing).

Gaming...I haven't played many games on the iPad yet but bascially I'll call that one a draw for now based on the games I have played on both...however again, iTunes has MUCH more to choose from)

iPad is more fluid however with ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich Android 4) on many new tablets, it is pretty darn close to iOS. Customization goes to Android hands down...you truly can make your tablet your own.

Ease of use: depending on your needs...Android is set up more like a desktop in the sense that it has a "desktop" where you can have widgets & shortcuts...then you click the app drawer to get to your apps. Plus with a file explorer you can check out your file structure & move files around quite easily. With the iPad I believe you need to be jailbroken before you can explore your file structure...but don't quote me on that.

Overall, once you have your needs decided, choosing a tablet will be a little easier...

OP
MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
well yea, i'm familiar with both OS's. Had first generation iPad, and family members have ipad2 that I have used several times. I had iPhone 3G and 3G S before switching to Android phones.

Have jailbroken all the iPhones/iPads but since moving to android phones I have been having fun releasing one click roots for Android devices and being the first to achieve root with the new devices.

At this point it really is a toss up. iPads really are great devices yet it would be nice to see a little more customization options for the iOS devices. I find it really annoying that you can't change the email ringtone to something that you can actually hear without the need to jailbreak. Yet on the other hand it really ticks me off that the android OS is so fragmented and has a lack of updates. When there is a security issue, apple simply releases an iOS update, everyone gets it right away and that is it. When android gets a security patch, it takes Forever and I mean FOREVER for it to reach an end user, and that is IF it ever does at all. If Android was to have some type of Core OS that is updated directly by google on a regular basis and then allow for manufacturers to simply plug in their custom UI's and additions on top of it I think that the android OS would seem a whole lot more attractive as an option. Yes I know there are ROMS that get updated regularly, but thats besides the point.

Also I still got my unlimited Data plan for iPad, depending on if it will be usable on the new iPad will also be a determining factor. If the iPad does in fact have LTE (i don't think it will) current carriers are not grandfathering unlimited plans to LTE data service.

At this point I think I may end up getting an iPad (3?). and if an android tablet comes along that gets me to go WOW I NEED TO HAVE THAT, I'll make the jump and android tablet at that point.

If anyone has both an iPad and Android tablet, let me know what you think of them both from your every day use. If you currently have an android tablet and will be getting the new iPad, what are the reasons for you making the switch from android?

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Toshiba Thrive rooted and overclocked. What was it missing?..... Haha, nothing. Full size USB, HDMI and SD... Can't complain.

Why do I want a 3? Originally I wanted the 2 when it first came out. Didn't seem to offer that much though in terms of expandability... So I went with the tt. My dilemma was between the 2, transformer or the Thrive.

At the time... Last summer... When reading on the transformer forum, seemed like a lot of people were complaining about design flaws and... Well, just design flaws..

Why am I switching back to apple?
I want a thin... Sleek... Tab.. despite the full sized ports ESPECIALLY the SD on the tt.... Apple is Apple... The tt was like my big tank that had everything. I want some change now.

Plus if I did get the 2, I always wanted to get one of those cool aluminum bluetooth keyboard cases.... Plus it will still be thin.. couldn't have that on the tt. Yeah I could have gotten a portfolio keyboard case then it'll be like a book. I also don't like having portfolio cases... Just my personal preference... Don't get offended by that ;) for those who do likes them.

So why not the Prime other than the 3... The tf201 just like the tf1, still have some major... major design flaws.. looks nice and especially a plus for the tegra3.. Asus just can't get it right. I could wait for the tf700... Why wait when I can finally get a 3 when I got the chance.

I think the tt was like a buffer for me for the year... until the quadcores started to be more realistic; which they obviously are now. When I was debating which tab to get, I was actually going to wait another year to get a tab since I knew something far superior will come out.. didn't really feel like waiting though...

So a year has passed.. time to get a 3. End of story. Apple.... Just puts out quality consistent products.. not saying Toshiba doesn't.. but they're not putting a t3 in the new excite... Deal breaker.

Asus... Shakes head..
Samsung... No thanks..
Acer... Rather have an Apple
HP... What's that?

:)

Last edited:

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At this point it really is a toss up. iPads really are great devices yet it would be nice to see a little more customization options for the iOS devices. I find it really annoying that you can't change the email ringtone to something that you can actually hear without the need to jailbreak. Yet on the other hand it really ticks me off that the android OS is so fragmented and has a lack of updates. When there is a security issue, apple simply releases an iOS update, everyone gets it right away and that is it. When android gets a security patch, it takes Forever and I mean FOREVER for it to reach an end user, and that is IF it ever does at all. If Android was to have some type of Core OS that is updated directly by google on a regular basis and then allow for manufacturers to simply plug in their custom UI's and additions on top of it I think that the android OS would seem a whole lot more attractive as an option. Yes I know there are ROMS that get updated regularly, but thats besides the point.

If anyone has both an iPad and Android tablet, let me know what you think of them both from your every day use. If you currently have an android tablet and will be getting the new iPad, what are the reasons for you making the switch from android?

With all the manufacturers of Android devices there is NO WAY they would be able to do a mass update...too much variation. I WOULD like it if they could stop allowing the manufacturers to "skin" Android & add bloatware to their devices. That way MAYBE they could do a mass update to just the "core" of the OS...right now there are just too many Android devices, using too many hardware variations & too many modified versions of Android....BUT THAT's what makes Android great...the freedom developers have to make Android their own...that is the foundation of Android...

As for everyday use of my tablets...I've had the iPad for about 10+ days & the big difference for me is how thin & light it is. My A500 is a tank compared to the iPad...BUT that's because of all the ports included. One thing the iPad does is nickle & dime you by making you buy all the attachments like the camera kit for usb, the HDMI kit for video out, and let's not forget if you want more storage you have to buy a NEW iPad with a bigger memory...HOWEVER, there are MORE attachments for the iPad like the iRig to input your guitar or the iMic to input vocals that the Android devices don't have...yet...

It's a tough decision to decide which tablet to get. Luckily Android tabs are cheaper (I usually go refurbs) so you COULD just have both the iPad AND an Android tablet...best of both worlds ;-)

Uberchu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Galaxy Tab 8.9 right now and waiting for the iPad 3. I have to say, after a week with it, that I absolutely hate how laggy and slow it can be. Of course, it does help shut my Android friends up about how much better Android is. Point being, once we compared the Galaxy Tab 8.9 with an iPad 2 (almost exact same specs), we found the iPad 2 thrashes it in terms of performance. So much for Android being "smoother" because of better hardware.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Kindle Fire. I use it as an e-reader because I like the size.

Williso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Galaxy tab and i am using this more than the three months and my experience was great to use this and it is my pleasure to play the games on it and soon i will but the new version of iPad.

davejm53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ASUS TF01 Transformer Prime owner. The tablet has bugs...how many, you would need lots of RAID to fix it. They have a great marketing group, and I fell into it. I own an IPOD Touch and love it, but I wanted something to replace my laptop, and have a camera. So I shelled out the $500 for this. Battery issues, a very poor camera, no working GPS, marginal WIFI, and it is still not ready for all the apps. When it works, which is 75% of the time, it works fantastic, and I have nothing but praise. But, I want something that works 100% of the time. My wife has the Kindle Fire. She loves that device, I love it also. I think the size is just right for portability. Maybe the 7" form factor is the right fit. It does not have a ton of apps, but more than enough, and for $200 it was priced right.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you ask me Android is way behind iOS, because iOS is optimized only for one device.

2753-16126-Nokia-Windows-8-OS-Tablets-2.jpg

As you all know Nokia have deal with Windows for OS. Nokia gets specifically optimized Windows OS for their models.

What you guys think? Is there a chance that Nokia tablet could be real competition for iPad 3?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any Android tablet owners on here waiting for the iPad 3 release? If so, what device do you have and what is it lacking that makes you want an iPad?

I skipped the iPad2 and am now going to wait for the iPad 3 announcement to determin if next month I will be buying an 3rd generation iPad or an Android Tablet. I made the switch from iPhone to Android about 2 years ago and have had several Android phones in this time without even thinking about switching back to an iPhone.

Hi Mike...I initially owned an Acer A500 tablet for about 6 weeks, before switching to the iPad. I liked the idea of USB/Flash etc..but couldn't get over the annoyances of when the next update would be. For the Acer Tab community, it was a guessing game as to who was going to get the update first. Not only did we not know when the release would be, the updates over the air caused havoc to some members devices. For me, I wasn't happy with the way it functioned. I think that there is more to "tinker with" when having a droid device, and that certainly did not meet my needs.

What made me go to Apple was it's gold standard on tablets. I was very happy to see the announcement of when the iOS 5 was coming out. That never occurred with the former. Things were sent out as promised. The ipad met all my expectations, good wifi connection, tons of apps, user friendly, etc. Also, another reason (which is purely personal choice) why I chose the ipad-was this forum and it's help. I know I may be biased now, but as an outsider coming in--this forum showed a lot of friendliness, respect and helpfulness-which was absent in some of the droid forums I was part of. As a consumer, that was important for me to know that I could "go" somewhere and get help if when I needed it.

Milanno

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, another reason (which is purely personal choice) why I chose the ipad-was this forum and it's help. I know I may be biased now, but as an outsider coming in--this forum showed a lot of friendliness, respect and helpfulness-which was absent in some of the droid forums I was part of. As a consumer, that was important for me to know that I could "go" somewhere and get help if when I needed it.

This is same exact reason why I will go for iPad 3 - because of great support community! Currently I am not iPad owner but I checked all forum sections here & its really amazing how people try to help each other & provide as much as possible apps, device preps, advices...

STi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for months but just sold it last week...I didn't use it much because pokerist wouldn't work over wifi and my iPad 2 just ran smoother...I had iPad 1 ,iPad 2. And will get iPad 3 as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is same exact reason why I will go for iPad 3 - because of great support community! Currently I am not iPad owner but I checked all forum sections here & its really amazing how people try to help each other & provide as much as possible apps, device preps, advices...

FYI...there are MANY great Android support forums out there...PLUS the developer community is second to none in regards to those who have rooted their Androids...ROMS, apps, tweaks, etc...The things that can be done on an OPEN Android system is amazing...

That being said, having one piece of hardware to program for makes it easier for app developers to focus on making their apps run as perfect as possible.

As you can tell from all of my previous posts I am very passionate about BOTH systems. Only a fool would say one is better than the other without mentioning in what circumstances. There is a place for BOTH systems in the market...the same way Mac & Windows co-existed together...each have their pluses & minuses...I realized that learning both systems is to our advantage

Most reactions

Latest posts