What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Takes a Shot at the iPad's Screen Visibility in New TV Ad

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
...if the iPad was marketed as a ereader, then I'd see their point. I would buy an kindle if I needed one, much the same as I have an ipod and my iPad... Sure, I can listen to music on my iPad, but it's not really the point of it.

Significant number of initial press after the ipad came out said it was a kindle killer. A lot of people I have talked to think it is better than kindle for reading books. A fair number of people on this board think that the ipad is better for reading than kindle. That is a perception. (I happen to think it is a wrong perception, but that perception is why Amazon has to directly address it.)

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
iPad has iBook, kindle, and nook....seems like iPad has the most selection available.
This is exactly why the iPad is the most flexible eReader out there... not being tied to a single format.[/QUOTE]

I am not going to expressly disagree with you. If you want to shop at a number of different stores and don't mind reading in different apps depending on the book, then the ipad is more flexible.

But Amazon has the largest single store. Virtually everything available in ebook is on the Amazon store and 95% of the time when I have looked Amazon has been cheapest or the same price.

But I still think it is all a moot point if you don't like reading on the ipad (which I don't.)

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still think, having used both, that the kindle is easier on my eyes and I have much less eye strain using the kindle than I do reading a book on the iPad. That may be just me, but I'm guessing it's not.

Chris

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0fb88b2b-9f88-475c-811a-a2ad76e65ffe.jpg

Keys1980

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad all the time for reading. However I read more magazines than books on it. National Geographic, I'm quite sure, still looks better on my ipad in any light.

Still, for the price of a kindle I think it's a great deal. Also the points they make are fair.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I still think, having used both, that the kindle is easier on my eyes and I have much less eye strain using the kindle than I do reading a book on the iPad. That may be just me, but I'm guessing it's not.

The Kindle is a LOT better to read from and if that were all I wanted a device to do, that's what I'd get. The slight compromises I make reading on the iPad are compensated by the fact that I can check and answer e-mail, watch video, play NFS:Shift, create music with Beatwave, and the case, when removed, makes a pretty decent fly swatter. And I just finished the Kindle edition of William Gibson's "Zero History" on it.

Nope, I can't read from it in direct sunlight, but I've never sat in direct sunlight while reading for any length of time and I've read thousands of books. (Which might be why - I'd be a cinder by now...). Like most devoted readers, I deal with low lighting that's too dim more often than too bright, and the iPad has no trouble there...

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The Kindle is a LOT better to read from and if that were all I wanted a device to do, that's what I'd get. The slight compromises I make reading on the iPad are compensated by the fact that I can check and answer e-mail, watch video, play NFS:Shift, create music with Beatwave, and the case, when removed, makes a pretty decent fly swatter. And I just finished the Kindle edition of William Gibson's "Zero History" on it.

Nope, I can't read from it in direct sunlight, but I've never sat in direct sunlight while reading for any length of time and I've read thousands of books. (Which might be why - I'd be a cinder by now...). Like most devoted readers, I deal with low lighting that's too dim more often than too bright, and the iPad has no trouble there...
Oh, I love my iPad. I wasn't bashing it. Just noting that reading is better on a kindle to me.

This isn't an argument. It's like someone claiming that a truck is better for hauling bulk mulch around. Then someone else says 'well i've hauled mulch in my Honda accord so it's better than your truck because it's more practical around town.' Sorry, for hauling bulk mulch a truck is better, but a Honda accord is a great car and it's not a knock to the Honda.

Maryelens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out libraries that offer Overdrive service, and get a library card. Easy to download library books to the ipad!

Most reactions

Latest posts