What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one not THRILLED with the new cover? (Case)

hrush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't like that the cover will fall open from its own weight when holding the iPad upside down.

Frank

It doesn't.

In fact, how do you hold your iPad upside down without holding the cover? It's nearly impossible, but the cover stays closed on mine.

So it shouldn't do this?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz-oULjkDD0"]YouTube - Ipad 2 smartcover[/ame]

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silguy said:
O yea, on another note, I noticed on certain videos or circumstances, the volume button never shuts off. You can turn it off, but you'll still have volume. True for you too?? Thanks for the reply!

Absolutely! Must be an update coming.

Reaction score
silguy said:
O yea, on another note, I noticed on certain videos or circumstances, the volume button never shuts off. You can turn it off, but you'll still have volume. True for you too?? Thanks for the reply!

If you are referring to the mute button, then it is on purpose. The mute button only shuts of system sounds/alerts, but not videos/music. If you want to turn those off, keep the volume down button pressed.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine does that too. My iPad also took a spill off the dining room counter onto a carpeted floor. No damage, but instead of offering any protection for the glass, the cover just fell off! :)

Reaction score
FrankP99 said:
That is exactly what my SmartCover does. Is this normal ?
Thanks for capturing that on video.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I went to the local Apple Store today and asked someone at the Genius Bar, whether it is normal behavior that the SmartCover isn't strong enough to stay closed and the response was yes. The iPad isn't strongly magnetized on the other side, so it won't hold and apparently it would be really difficult to hold it upside down anyway, so it shouldn't matter. I wonder how the cover is supposed to stay on, if the iPad ever falls.

I already bought a leather SmartCover, but after using it over a week, it turns out to be a completely useless cover for my usage.

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FrankP99 said:
That is exactly what my SmartCover does. Is this normal ?
Thanks for capturing that on video.

Frank

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mine does not do that...smart cover holds tight even with some shaking. I love the smart cover and a clear Bodyguardz on the back. For me, I do not like cases that add bulk and weight while using the iPad. I realize that there's no protection if I drop it, but it seems less likely than with something like the iPhone. Fingers crossed!!

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wclyffe said:
Mine does not do that...smart cover holds tight even with some shaking. I love the smart cover and a clear Bodyguardz on the back. For me, I do not like cases that add bulk and weight while using the iPad. I realize that there's no protection if I drop it, but it seems less likely than with something like the iPhone. Fingers crossed!!

Mine doesn't do that either. Is your iPad even magnetize where it's supposed to stick? I checked mine and theres some decent strength polarity in there.

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
If you are referring to the mute button, then it is on purpose. The mute button only shuts of system sounds/alerts, but not videos/music. If you want to turn those off, keep the volume down button pressed.

Yes, the mute button. Sorry for the I inaccurate terminology. On another note....haha...I noticed some videos...such as on NBA game time, friendly Facebook and YouTube....the video will play....then suddenly it will jus pop out of the app! I'll have to go back into the app and replay it. Is this becuz of wifi signal?

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silguy said:
Mine doesn't do that either. Is your iPad even magnetize where it's supposed to stick? I checked mine and theres some decent strength polarity in there.

I cannot tell the difference with the Bodyguardz clear skin on the back with regard to using the Smart Cover. The cover attaches and holds the same as it did without the Bodyguardz, and now there will not be any wear marks from pulling it on and off. I've put these skins on a few times, but I was worried about getting all the air bubbles, etc out on a surface this large, but it went on perfectly and was flawless after 48 hours. The Bodyguardz attention to detail is perfect and I got really lucky lining it all up. It feels like the perfect combo...no real added weight or bulk and I use a lightweight, padded Booq zipper case to travel it.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wclyffe said:

Mine doesn't do that either. It's leather, does that make a difference? I guess I'll figure out how to post on YouTube and make a video demo.

Torria

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we need to be fair to the smart cover. I don't think it was designed to be true protection for the device itself. I don't remember seeing it marketed that way either. I believe it's suppose to simply cover the screen. That is all. Comparing it to a true protective case is like comparing apples and oranges. It simply is what it is. I happen to like the smart cover but as many others here I also put it in a truly protective cover for transporting to and from my office. If you are not happy with your smart cover simply return it and get what makes you happy. Soon the market will be flooded with covers and case in all colors styles, materials ect ect.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wclyffe said:

Nor does mine. The cover stays flush against the screen. Tried that trick three times and each time it held.

While I haven't read all the previous pages to this thread, I'm very happy with the smart cover. Might even move up to leather in the future.

D Roc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the smart cover just for around the house. I don't expect it to protect my iPad so majority of the day the pad is in a hard case. Either way, the smart cover is pretty neat. I really dont think the price of them really matters. If you have the money to buy an iPad then spending $40 shouldn't be a problem.

Ryan Koh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
peerfly.com
The iPad2 cover looks really cool from the advertisement. However, I still prefer the traditional cover for iPad1. It is those kind where I can still put my business cards in the slot behind the cover.

I think Apple is being very creative by packing the cover into its commercial and make it so desirable! :)

Waiting for my FREE iPad2!

Most reactions

Latest posts