What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always have to reboot

John3596

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever it's left on for a while and I want to go to Safari or weather or anything needing Internet, it won't connect. I have a good signal strength, but have shut it off and restart to connect. Annoying!

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A little more detail would let us help you. What model iPad? Where are you trying to connect? (home, coffee shop, mall, airport, etc) Is it in the same location you keep losing connection (always at home/coffee shop/etc)? Is it wifi or 3G connection? Does any other wifi device exhibit the same problem? Etc etc etc

OP
J

John3596

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further detail

I'm talking about when using it at home. Model? It's a 64G wifi. Occasional problem with one app on my wifes' iPod.

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still not quite enough details to help.

How do you know you "have a good signal strength"? Do you see the wifi signal indicator in the upper left at its' fullest strength of a dot and two curved lines? If yes, then you are connected to a wifi signal. Not sure what you mean by "won't connect when wanting to go to Safari or something needing the internet". If you don't have full signal strength, perhaps your signal is cutting in and out.

How are you "shutting it off"? By holding the top Sleep button and then sliding the red bar? Or just pressing the Sleep button once? Pressing the button once is not shutting it off.

I'm not sure your wife's iPod having an occasional problem with an app is part of the issue. But what model is her iPod, an iPod Touch? Can she surf Safari with no problem on it? Does it have the same signal strength as your iPad?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
This is a bug that apple knows about. They should have it fixed in the next firmware update.

You can also try going into settings for screen brightness and turn off the auto-brightness feature to see if they works. Some report that it fixes the issue while others report that it doesnt for their device, however everyone seems to report better wifi performance by doing this.

OP
J

John3596

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, when I said in my original post that I had good signaling meant the dot and two curved lines. No I am not putting it in sleep mode, when I said I shut it off I mean totally off.
I'll try and be clear on my issue. When first started all works normally, then after a period of time or after it has been in sleep mode I can't access internet based apps. The little whatchmacallit spins and spins and nothing happens or I'll get a you must be connected to the Internet notice or unable to load type of note. Again this is at home with full signal strength.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yes, when I said in my original post that I had good signaling meant the dot and two curved lines. No I am not putting it in sleep mode, when I said I shut it off I mean totally off.
I'll try and be clear on my issue. When first started all works normally, then after a period of time or after it has been in sleep mode I can't access internet based apps. The little whatchmacallit spins and spins and nothing happens or I'll get a you must be connected to the Internet notice or unable to load type of note. Again this is at home with full signal strength.

read my previous post and let us know the outcome once you have tried this.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I took the advice to turn off auto brightness.

I have a 64gig wifi + 3G. The problem described by the OP was my problem too. So I turned off auto brightness and then turned off my IPad (not just sleep mode). Then I started it up again and bam no dropped wifi--this puppy hasn't dropped wifi in three hours of constant surfing! Thank you!:D

Why does auto brightness setting impact wifi connection?

Last edited:
OP
J

John3596

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Auto brightness

Turning off auto brightness did not help. I have never lost connection while actively there. Just when I try to go back or to a different app that needs Internet after being in sleep mode.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
yes this is a known issue and apple will fix it in the next firmware update.

You may want to start turning wifi off when you put the ipad to sleep.

Another option would be to log into your wireless router and change the settings for how long the DHCP keeps IP's its issued alive before having to renew them. Set it to last for a few days.

lovehateipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are having the same problem with our iPad2. We have a LINKSYS 2.4 GHz WRT54G wireless router. If we leave our iPad for more than a few minutes, we have to reboot it to connect to the internet.

Most reactions

Latest posts