What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wifi not connecting through access point but connects thru router

3dsmaxed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Regards to everyone. My first post here

I bought my new ipad2 today. I am facing a problem with the wifi. I initially connected the iPad in my office on the upper flower where Internet is through wifi router and the Internet worked perfect. But on my lower floor I have an access point installed to get better signal strength. My android phones wifi , my laptops wifi etc work nicely through this access point and get nice signal strength but when I took my iPad on the lower floor it is not workingthrough the access point . The Internet just stops. When I saw in the dhcp settings of iPad wifi I can see it's not able to get right ip address and also not able to retrieve the router address. When I turn off the access points the Internet works again withthe direct signal from the main upper floor router even if the signal strength is low. What shula I do to use the wifi through the access point? I never faced this problem with my android phone or a windows laptop. They configure on their own and I can use Internet both through router directly and access point also. Plz help. I need to use wifi through the access point on the lower floor

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All routers and access points work a bit differently, and they are a pain to troubleshoot remotely. That goes double for a network with access points. Most of us who read this are probably waiting in hope that someone who has the same equipment will come along and give you a real answer.

As for myself, I simply haven't a clue. The only access points I've ever set up were all Apple gear, and I just fiddled until they worked.

Your best bet is to contact the manufacturers and see if they have any answers. It might happen.

One random thought. Make absolutely sure the access point is not acting as a DHCP server. Only the primary router should do that.

OP

3dsmaxed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My access point is set to static ip and not dhcp. All my other devices are working fine through this AP. Just this damn iPad doesn't. I read somewhere regarding making separate networks for separate bands but I haven't understood it. I am not able to post the link here as my post count is low

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The article isn't exactly for your problem, and given their brief instructions I'm not completely sure what they are doing. They are either placing the WPA on a separate channel, and giving it a new name SSID, or creating another network in parallel. I'm not sure you can do the first, it would probably depend on the router. The second would require either a hardwire ethernet port connected between the two, or use of dual band routers.

As I said, I just don't know enough to help.

I'm not sure what you mean by your WAP being a static IP. It should't handle IP addressing at all. As a part of the network all IP's should be distributed by the main router. Anyway, the fact that your other devices work probably means it's ok.

You could try setting up your iPad as a Static IP. Your router should be able to assign a static IP to a specific MAC address. You can see this in the Genreal > About settings on the iPad. Once you have assigned the IP in the router, go to the Network settings on you iPad, choose the network, change it to Static, and assign the IP to the iPad. You'll want to take note of the other entries, like DNS and router, on the iPad before doing this. Use the ones on the main router that work. Enter those as well as the static IP in the iPad's network settings (for that network).

I don't know if this will work, but it's worth a try.

elashi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the same exact problem for sometime. my ipad2 wouldn't connect to an access point but connects to the router feeding the access point. here is what i did and it worked for me.
under the Wifi tab, while making sure your access point Network name is showing after searching for Wifi signals, click on other, then type in your network name of the access point. in my case there was no security so i left it as none. if after inputing your password it still did not work, try to disable your security and try again.

hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts